Finally took the plunge! Christeli Danieli is ordered!

Well, after months of researching, comparing, evaluating, re-evaluating, second guessing, etc we FINALLY made a decision!

Ordered up a Christeli Danieli king size yesterday. It came down to a decision between that and the Restava Delano and Brooklyn Bedding PureCool Symphony. I liked the two piece construction with the softer/firmer sided base and the aloe cover enough to take the plunge with Christeli. The Symphony was really tempting, but at $500+ more than the other two I just couldn’t see enough benefit in it.

So far not going with the adjustable. She doesn’t see enough benefit for the investment, but we can always add it later if we want to. Now to pick out a good mattress encasement. I’ve been thinking something waterproof to protect the new mattress, but I know they don’t breath all that well either. My top choices on that are:

I like the idea of the encasement, so it doesn’t constantly untuck like my current and past mattress protectors have that are designed like fitted sheets.

Now comes that long wait for the mattress to arrive and finally get to replace the old Englander innerspring!

Hi Osahar,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

A mattress protector (that protects the sleeping surface but doesn’t surround and enclose all 6 sides of the mattress) will allow for more airflow than a waterproof mattress encasement. Post #89 here has more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and also has a link to more information about mattress encasements as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for the link Phoenix!

I’ll take a look at some of that tonight when I get home. I’m not set on a waterproof encasement, but it seems like a good idea for protecting the mattress from any stains, etc.

Just to keep this all updated, order was placed back on 5/6. Still waiting for the shipping confirmation, but the website says they usually ship within 3-5 business days. So if I don’t see anything today I’ll give them a call tomorrow for an update.

Still waiting very impatiently - its hard to sleep on the old innerspring every night when I know my new mattress is almost here!

Hi Osahar,

Thanks for the update.

Since today is the 5th business day since your order I’d probably give them a call tomorrow as well if you haven’t heard anything.

Phoenix

Well, today went from a boring Wednesday into a busy one in a hurry!

I called up Christeli this morning, and spoke with a very nice lady (I didn’t catch her name). She checked on the order, and apologized for them not emailing me the tracking information on my order. She also checked on the FedEx website, and it turns out my mattress was out for delivery today!

So while they may have dropped the ball a little on the notification, I would call that pretty fast service. Order placed 5/6, arrived 5/14.

After that, I did a quick “I need to go home for the day, mattress arriving” and took off for home. FedEx had it here just before noon, and it was promptly unpackaged and left to start decompressing in the living room. If all goes well, it should be ready by bedtime tonight according to their literature. I do love the 2 piece construction, makes it a lot more manageable.

I also started my project for reinforcing under the bed slats a bit as well after I got home. Would have had that done before, but didn’t know it was coming. Had all the wood and screws already cut, so just need to drive a bunch of screws to have it ready and put it in place.

So far, I would say I’m very pleased with Christeli but the big challenge is coming - how does the mattress feel?!

Hi Osahar,

Thanks for the update. It’s good to see your mattress arrived even though it led to some changed plans and quite a “flurry” of activity :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback about this as well over the coming days and/or weeks (as you go through the initial break in and adjustment period on your new mattress).

Phoenix

The folks over at SafeRest state that their mattress encasement is a breathable membrane. I spoke to them on the phone, and they recommend both a mattress encasement and a mattress protector.

The theory for both is that since mattress encasements are generally cumbersome to remove for washing, it is better to get a mattress protector on top of the mattress encasement. This way, one can easily remove the mattress protector for regular cleaning, while mattress encasement is always protecting the mattress.

Phoenix: What do you think of this approach?

Hi darkarchon,

They would certainly sell more products that way :slight_smile:

The advantage of having both is that you could remove and wash the protector without the risk of taking the encasement off the mattress (which wouldn’t be advisable if you had bedbugs). If you were using the encasement only for allergy protection (not bedbugs) then removing it would still be more difficult than removing a protector but it wouldn’t be risky.

I would call the membrane type protectors or encasements more “semi breathable” than “breathable” and they are certainly not as breathable as some of the other mattress protector or encasement materials. For most people they work well and are a good choice for those that want more “waterproof” protection but for some people the lower airflow can be one of the factors that can raise sleeping temperature.

Phoenix

Well, got everything set up last night late. I do like the two piece construction, much easier to move around.

Once we had it all set up, there was one big surprise - Christeli advertises it as a 13.5" mattress, but the tape measure says ours is about 15.5". Poor Heather had to almost climb up onto the mattress! I don’t know if it’ll stay that size as it breaks in, but I think I’m going to need sheets with deeper pockets now. Ours pulled loose on both sides during the night, and the old mattress was about 12" thick.

Its still a bit firm, as expected, but we slept fairly well on the first night. I can only imagine it will get better as it breaks in over the next month or two.

Hi Osahar,

That’s very odd and if your mattress is 15.5" thick then I would certainly call them to make sure that what you received is what you ordered. It certainly won’t get 2" thinner.

The only mattress they list that is 15.5" high is the Palais Grand Royale (which is a more costly mattress but isn’t what you ordered).

Thanks for the feedback.

Phoenix

Ok, time for the 2 week update!

Re-measured with it on the bed (originally measured sitting in the living room inflating). I’m getting 14", so not too concerned with that.

So far I am still extremely pleased. Both Heather and I are sleeping much better, and the Danieli has been comfortable for both of us. Its firm enough we don’t sink in a lot (like the Cloud series type) but it is still soft enough for me as a side sleeper to have no issues.

No issues so far with sleeping warm, even when the outside temps have climbed to near 100 recently down here in FL. I haven’t noticed it being any warmer than the old innerspring, and possibly a little cooler. And no gel memory foam in the makeup, just apparently a good ventilation system to keep the warm air away from you as you sleep. Even Heather hasn’t complained, and she naturally has a very warm body while asleep at night.

This weekend is the first “spin” of the mattress, which should be fun. Definitely not a one-person process anymore! :lol:

Hi Osahar,

Thanks for the “2 week” update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

That’s good to hear and that’s inside the normal variance for a 13.5" mattress.

Phoenix

I realize this is an old thread lol but am wondering if anyone still around the forum has the Danieli and how is it holding up ?