Fire Barrier

I have been looking into latex mattress for the last few months and how does arizona mattress company or mattress.net and also perfectlatexmattress.com get away with not using a FR barrier. I am sure that when you order a mattress from Arizona Mattress they don’t make you fill out a form the just to read their statement which is

I have read and understand that the approved use for these replacement mattress covers is on all 100% latex mattress designs and pre-July 1st 2007 mattress designs that utilize a zippered cover. I agree that using them on any other type mattress I do so at my own risk knowing that they have not been tested and do NOT hold liable Arizona Premium Mattress Company for any damages caused by fire from the unapproved usage of these replacement mattress covers

so are they chemically treating the covers on the normal mattress or are they just slipping by the FR barrier law because it is a component mattress that the customer puts together.

And perfect latex mattress has a prescription form that they want filled out but I am sure they don’t want to loose business so are they doing the same kind of thing Arizona is doing or are they making sure they get the prescription. And if they don’t get a prescription how are they handling their FR barrier to sell to the public chemically or a different way.

Hi Ted,

These are the kind of questions that would be easy to ask the manufacturer but in this case I know that mattresses.net uses wool to pass the 1633 fire regulations. In other words they do have a fire barrier. This is fairly common with wool quilted latex mattresses.

On the Perfect latex Mattress site they talk about this and they require a doctor’s prescription so that a fire barrier doesn’t have to be used at all.

The disclaimer you are mentioning on the mattresses.net page is for components not for their mattresses and it’s to make sure that when people buy replacement parts for a mattress that they realize they are not buying a mattress (which requires a fire barrier or a prescription) and just ordering replacement parts.

Again you could talk with them but it seems clear to me that they require an actual prescription from a qualified health professional in order to buy one of their mattresses. If you don’t get a prescription then you can’t buy their mattress.

The mattresses at mattresses.net don’t need this because all their mattresses have passed the fire regulations.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

I would agree with you in most cases but he states that in different places here is exact site Replacement Mattress Covers

On http://www.nontoxicbeds.com/ They have this

There are four ways to avoid the flameproof mattress regulation and get a toxin free bed:

You can order any of our mattresses and our government mandated flame retardant chemical based flame barrier is zippered and removable to access the layer system.

You can order any of our mattresses without the flame barrier with a prescription from an MD, DO, or Chiropractor.

Our waterbeds are naturally toxin free and flame resistant. They are exempt from the regulation and contain no toxic chemicals.

You can build your own bed by ordering our foam layer pads, and cover with your own or our mattress pad/cover. (This option often saves money)

After looking at their site they sell just the stacked latex and a completely separate cover.

And after reading the 1633 FR page 4 in the middle says

As discussed below, the term “manufacturer” refers to the establishment where a mattress is produced or assembled, and it is the plant or factory producing or assembling the mattress set that is responsible for prototype testing. The manufacturer or importer must have records demonstrating compliance with the standard on an establishment specific basis. So on and so forth.

I am not arguing with you by any means just trying to get to the truth and to see if since sheets of latex foam are being sent out just as foam even with a cover in the same box is the person sending it really the manufacturer or is the end user the manufacturer?

Hi Ted,

I’m not sure what your agreeing or disagreeing with. Mattresses have to pass 1632 and 1633 as a complete unit (not as individual parts or components). Their mattresses have all passed both and their replacement components that are not sold as complete mattresses in a single shipment don’t need to. The page you linked to is the page where they have their replacement mattress covers.

nontoxicbeds (Strobel) has some very good information but not all of it is exactly accurate … particularly the video and information about using wool as a fire barrier. See post #2 here. As a side note they also don’t like to disclose the density/quality of their individual polyfoam layers but they are 1.5 lb density (which is on the low end of the density scale).

You’re not quite correct … but you can talk to them if you wish or better yet order a mattress and you will see the compliance tag :). They sell mattresses of various types and designs that have all been tested as a prototype and passed the fire code. These mattresses are the designs that they sell and ship out as complete mattresses that have been approved with the tags attached and are shipped out as individual pieces through UPS … much like other manufacturers who do the same thing. They are an actual manufacturer with their own factory and they cut latex and make their own mattresses within their tested prototypes which they in turn sell to customers. The customer is not the manufacturer. You are a little confused but I understand that its a confusing subject :slight_smile:

Phoenix