Firm Latex Mattress from FOX Mattress

Thought Id fill you in on our experience with Fox Mattress in Holly Hill, Florida. We had been looking for a replacement mattress for quite some time after going through 3 different Ikea PU foam mattresses that all were good when new, but developed low spots and the hammock type feeling after less than a year. My wife had back surgery and is in need of a firm mattress that compresses, but “pushes back” instead of drooping. After much research we found Fox through this web site and decided to drive up to Holly Hill from our home near Orlando,
The Fox store is an experience, but the sales team knows their stuff. Chelsea spent a good 2 1 /2 hours working with us to define what mattress would be best for us. Amazing how the quilting can have an effect on how the mattress feels overall. We ended up ordering a firm, reversible Latex mattress (6" core) with 1.5" high quilting on both sides. The one we tried in the store felt great, even after extended lounging on it and we hoped the ordered one would be even better, because it had not been tried by lots of people…
The ordered mattress was delivered within 1 week, and disappointed terribly during the first night. Wife went back to the guest room because the firm mattress was not nearly as firm as the one in the store. We contacted Fox the next day and discussed what could have gone wrong. It appears that the ILD range for firm goes from about 36 to 40+ and ours ended up on the low end. Chelsea at FOX understood our issue and cheerfully ordered a replacement with a guaranteed firm ILD of 40. Mattress arrived a week later and we have been sleeping on it every night with no aches and pains, just a good night’s sleep. We did add a 1.5" poly foam egg-crate after a few nights to give the mattress a bit more cushiness on top. We had discussed this with Fox before buying the mattress. This way we can tone down the firmness of the mattress without affecting the support the firm latex provides.
We are thoroughly impressed with Fox Mattress and their support. We really appreciated Chelsea’s knowledge and her understanding of our needs and translating it into the right mattress. That the first one came in too soft is probably nothing anybody could anticipate, but Fox and Chelsea fixed it for us.
We highly recommend Fox Mattress
Tom and Carol

Hi tomkfl,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed comments and feedback about Fox Mattress and the mattress you purchased … I appreciate it.

As you probably know I think very highly of Fox Mattress and I think you certainly made a great quality/value choice.

As you also probably know from your reading here … Latex doesn’t have exact ILD’s and the with Dunlop latex the range of ILD’s for each firmness rating can vary more than Talalay (see post #6 here). While there are many people that probably wouldn’t notice the difference … those that are more sensitive certainly can and it’s great to see that they went out of their way to make sure you were happy with your purchase.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix