Firmness for 3 year old girl?

Hi all,

I’ve narrowed down our choice to sleepez, most likely, as I’ve dealt with them in the past for our mattress. I’m now shopping for a latex mattress for my 3-year old daughter. She weighs about 30lbs, but we’re hoping this mattress lasts for the next 15 years, and she’ll grow with it.

She most likely will not be very tall and take after her mother, very slim. So, we’re planning to go with the SleepEZ Organic 7000 which is a 6" mattress. We’re stuck on the firmness and the layers though for her.

I’ve read elsewhere that if you have a small child that enjoys jumping on the bed, go for Dunlop, so I’m thinking 1 3" layer of Dunlop for the base for longevity, and 3" top layer of Talalay for comfort. Does this make sense?

Also as far as the ILD/Firmness, since she’s slender, does it just make sense to get medium/medium for both layers? Or Firm dunlop base and medium talalay topper? Or, since she’s so light, does it make sense to go Soft top/Medium base?

She’ll use this for many years, so I want it to remain comfortable. I figure I can always add a new layer of Talalay if she needs in a few years.

Thanks in advance!

Hi latexdad,

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is more a matter of preference and which one you think she would prefer more than anything else. Talalay is more lively and “springy” than Dunlop (see post #7 here). I don’t know the reasoning behind the suggestion for Dunlop as either one would work well. On the more humorous side … it may depend on how high you wanted them to bounce and on how low the ceilings were :slight_smile:

In most cases I tend to lean more towards firmer for young children (medium over medium or firm) but firmness is also subjective and also depends on body weight and preferences and girls tend to prefer a little softer than boys so I would probably suggest soft over medium for a young girl that was lighter or had a preference for a little softer surface because that would be firmer for a very light body weight than it would for a higher weight or for an adult. I know from my conversations with him that Shawn would probably be thinking in the same direction. For boys I would probably suggest medium over firm.

As you mentioned you can always exchange a layer if she isn’t comfortable on it and you can also add a layer down the road if necessary although if she will likely be tall and slim she likely won’t need it and may be quite comfortable on the mattress she is used to even into her teens.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix