firmness level for Dreamfoam

My wife and I are thinking of getting the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress. I am 6’2" and 195 pounds and she is 4’10" and 125 pounds. I know quite a difference. I’m probably about a 70% back sleeper and 30% side sleeper. She is probably about the same, but also likes to “cuddle” by sitting/leaning on my hip which hurts my back. In mattresses that we have tried locally I have found I like the firmer mattresses best in 5-10 minute trials while she likes the medium or firm ones. I was wondering if any of you could provide some guidance as to help us decide which firmness level would best meet our needs- the 3 or the 5.

could they customize the sides for you? I know many latex companies offer this - sometimes for free, sometimes for a little $ … We have the same issue here and we have gone to a split king for this reason- and sleep much better as we don’t have to compromise - I realized that I like super soft beds and my partner prefers to sleep on firm.
And there is always the option to use a topper to make it softer?

Hi imelda_the_chicken,

Post #2 here may be helpful (it’s one of the links in the tutorial post here).

When you aren’t able to test a mattress in person the best way to choose would be based on a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer on the phone. They would be a much more reliable source of guidance than any other forum member (including me) because they know more about their mattresses and the options which have the highest odds of “matching” your needs and preferences based on “averages” than anyone else. There are so many individual differences in needs and preferences between people that I would never use someone else’s experience to choose a mattress.

As flybear mentioned … a mattress with split layers (different on each side) may be well worth considering when the needs and preferences or body types of a couple are very different (see the first part of post #2 here).

Phoenix

I’ve got a Dreamfoam 6. It’s as firm as the firmest mattresses I’ve tried in stores. I can’t imagine sleeping on a 3! The Dreamfoam really tends towards toward being very firm.