First impressions of Ikea Morgongava - for those interested

We took the top cover off and then unzipped the wool cover, sprinkled baking soda, and let it air out all day that way. It still has a faint odor but I can tell if I can do that one more time with the window open it will air out completely. This was after trying other suggestions for a few weeks and feeling sick from the smell. It was so much better after we opened both covers.

Hi… We also bought the Morgongava back in september… we are coming up towards the end of the 90 day return period and reaching a bit of a crisis about whether (and how) to return it (huge expensive, heavy, king size, a long way away ;-( … i could do with some help…

In short my wife hates the odor. Even after two and a half months of trying to air it out day after day she says she feels like she’s “sleeping in a toxic soup”. Personally i don’t especially notice the smell but i guess folks have different sensitivities. she says she’s willing to live with it if she can be assured that the smell is nothing toxic… but like, really assured…

Whats perplexing us is the identity of that 15% synthetic latex component. I’ve read on these forums (mostly from Pheonix) that the latex in the Morgongava is Oeko-tex certified. However when we’ve asked Ikea to confirm to us that there is nothing toxic in that 15% and to ask what its composed of - they’ve been unable to give us anything more than very vague assurances and no details - and they’ve never mentioned Oeko-tex which is kind of odd. Can anyone (Pheonix?) give us more details on how this works… Oeko- tex certifies the full blend of teh latex? or just the natural part? what specific latex chemicals does an Oeko-tex certification ensure are not present (butadiene?) also where is there some proof that the Morgongava uses oeko-tex certified latex?

I’m really not looking forward to trying to carry that hunk of rubber down the stairs, into the car and back to ikea but it seems like it might come to that given the persistent offgassing unless someone can help explain why that 2.5 months of offgassing is assuredly not a ‘toxic soup’ (just a smelly one)…

and any tricks for getting rid of the smell when just uncovering teh mattress with teh window open has failed to work for 10 weeks (did i see a mention of baking soda…??)

cheers

Hi jimsnail,

[quote]In short my wife hates the odor. Even after two and a half months of trying to air it out day after day she says she feels like she’s “sleeping in a toxic soup”. Personally i don’t especially notice the smell but i guess folks have different sensitivities. she says she’s willing to live with it if she can be assured that the smell is nothing toxic… but like, really assured…

Whats perplexing us is the identity of that 15% synthetic latex component. I’ve read on these forums (mostly from Pheonix) that the latex in the Morgongava is Oeko-tex certified. However when we’ve asked Ikea to confirm to us that there is nothing toxic in that 15% and to ask what its composed of - they’ve been unable to give us anything more than very vague assurances and no details - and they’ve never mentioned Oeko-tex which is kind of odd. Can anyone (Pheonix?) give us more details on how this works… Oeko- tex certifies the full blend of teh latex? or just the natural part? what specific latex chemicals does an Oeko-tex certification ensure are not present (butadiene?) also where is there some proof that the Morgongava uses oeko-tex certified latex?[/quote]

Synthetic latex is a copolymer of styrene and butadiene (see here and here). The latex in the Mogongava is made by Mountaintop Foam who make various types of latex that range from all or mostly synthetic rubber to all natural rubber. All of them are certified by Oeko-Tex for any harmful substances or VOC’s. There is much more information about Oeko-Tex Standard 100 on their website here and the list of what they test for and the testing limits for each substance are here.

There are also some suggestions that may help reduce the odor in post #3 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and research on the IKEA Morgongava mattress. We’re shopping for a mattress, and are interested in the Morgongava (85% natural latex, 15% synthetic latex) but have yet to be able to confirm for ourselves that this mattress is indeed sufficiently non-toxic. This is especially important in our case as our infant will be co-sleeping in the bed with us. It’s been difficult to find much information about the mattress. IKEA themselves, who we called, are rather tight-lipped. The most they were willing to say by phone is that Dunlop is the supplier of the synthetic latex they use in the mattress. This thread has been the helpful detailed source of online info, but we’d love to have some further clarification if you’d be willing. In particular, we’re wondering whether the synthetic latex used in the Morgongava is SBR (styrene-butadiene rubber), which is said to be toxic. It seems that most synthetic rubber is SBR, but not all. If this mattress is indeed tested by Oeko-Tex, then perhaps this indicates that the Morgongava synthetic latex is some other, non-SBR type.

A few quick questions: Are you able to provide any further confirmation that this mattress is indeed produced by Mountaintop Foam and that it is indeed Oeko-Tex certified? One of the links you provided (back in 2014) directs to a Facebook post from Mountaintop listing IKEA as a client (but makes no specific mention of the Morgongava) and the Oeko-Tex links you provided happen to now be dead. We read on an online review that IKEA “does internal VOC testing but does not have third-party VOC certification,” although this claim was made without any substantiation. (https://nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/ecoholic/sleep-on-it-the-mattress-guide/)

Thanks very much!

HI Celcius,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The only reliable way to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs (regardless of whether they are organic or natural or synthetic) so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification. If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification, then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough”, regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.

You may have read this already but just in case you haven’t, there is more information in post #2 here and the topics it links to about mattresses and children and “suitable” and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good options children which would be well worth considering.

To be fair to the people at Ikea, you’re probably phoning a call-center where they are reading, quite often, from the same information you see online, and they’re not experts in the componentry contained within their items. Dunlop would be the production method of the latex they use, not the supplier. Their latex is a blend (85 %NR, 15% SBR), not synthetic (which would be 100% SBR).

Any version of latex (Dunlop or Talalay made from natural or synthetic latex or a blend of both) is a safe material and they are normally all tested for harmful substances and VOC’s with the same or similar testing protocols (Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut). Post #2 here and the posts it links to talks more about testing form VOCs and harmful substances.

You can see more information about SBR and NR rubber in post #2 here. You can also read more about synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex in post #2 here and there is more about natural rubber and synthetic rubber in post #2 here.

Both synthetic latex and natural latex are equally “rubber” or “latex” except natural latex is primarily isoprene rubber that comes from a tree (which can also be synthesized) and synthetic latex in the case of latex mattresses is made from Styrene Butadiene rubber (or SBR). Both natural and synthetic rubber are stable and inert materials when they are cured. This is similar to tires which also uses various blends of synthetic and natural rubber depending on the specific qualities that the tire manufacturer is looking for. Both natural and synthetic rubber used in mattresses … unlike tires … is foamed rubber which means that there are several other compounds that are needed in addition to the rubber to make the foamed latex core. These include curing agents, gelling agents, antioxidants, mold release agents, and other compounds that are used to make both natural and synthetic foamed rubber. These also become inert when the latex is cured or in some cases are washed out when the latex is washed after manufacturing (which also removes the excess proteins that can be a cause of latex allergies in 100% natural latex) which is why both 100% natural and blended latex will both pass the same safety testing for VOC’s and harmful ingredients, such as Oeko-Tex standard 100, and I personally would have no concerns with the safety of a natural or blended latex.

I don’t have access to the information of who is currently pouring foam for Ikea, but if you were near an Ikea store you could look and see if you could find the law tag on the Morgongava and that information should be present there (I don’t have an Ikea near me to do this). If Mountain Top is still producing their foam, all of their products are Oeko-Tex or TFI-Germany certified. You could phone Mountain Top at 570-715-7200 or message them from their facebook page to ask as well.

Phoenix