First time latex mattress on budget and need some advice on foundation.

Hi Nemix,

I certainly wouldn’t agree with your assessment of the “value” of the Heggedal based on the quality of the materials but of course there are also many other parts to the value of a mattress purchase than just the quality and durability of the materials and each person’s criteria and the parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them may be very different from someone else. A forum search on Heggedal will also bring up more comments and feedback about it.

I’m also not so sure I would agree with your “theories” here and it would also depend on the specifics of the polyfoam and how firm it was (polyfoam can range from ultra soft to ultra firm). Polyfoam is also not as “point elastic” (the ability to contour to the shape of the body) as latex. Of course each person can have a very different experience on the same mattress so how a mattress “feels” will depend on the person and their body type, sleeping style, and their sensitivity to the different layers and components in a mattress.

A mattress will tend to soften and break down from the top layers down and the innerspring in a mattress isn’t generally the weakest link in terms of durability and the useful life of the mattress although the type of innerspring can certainly make a difference in how it feels and performs. To the degree than an innerspring makes a difference in terms of durability … the most important factor in the durability of an innerspring would be the total amount of steel that it contains (assuming that it is tempered) which unfortunately isn’t a specification that you would normally be able to find out. There is more information about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

Phoenix