First time latex mattress on budget and need some advice on foundation.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=58661]Hi SuperJ,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update.

[quote]Now that it’s home it feels even firmer than the Matrand. :ohmy:
I hope it breaks in quickly. I’m concerned that my brief experience with even a cheap latex mattress has made me notice the short comings of springs even more though.[/quote]

This could be the result of testing the mattress on a box spring that is softer than the support system you are using at home.

It’s unfortunate that you didn’t test for this in the store because “roll off” can certainly be an issue with some innerspring mattresses (pocket coils in particular) that don’t have firmer edge support for those that tend to sleep closer to the edge of their mattress (see post #2 here). Unfortunately it’s unlikely that a topper will correct this.

Hopefully the lack of edge support is something that you can get used to and I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix[/quote]

Just a one week update. I’m relieved that the mattress and I have gotten a lot more used to each other. It is still on the firm end of the spectrum but is very supportive and comfortable and does a good job avoiding pressure points even for side sleeping. This is somewhat surprising because a quick press with the palm of your hand would lead you to believe it is way too firm.

The roll of issue definitely still there and will likely get worse over the years I suppose. I wouldn’t have noticed it had I not purchased a relatively firm thin latex mattress first. One thought I had was to try the Atloy box spring since it has a rigid outer surround, but (soft for a foundation) bonell springs. It may slightly counteract the rolloff by providing more compliance as you move in from the edge but good support on the edge. It was on this box spring in the store. Or I may just deal with it since I like everything else about it and the price was right.