Flexible slat base comparison?

Hi,

My wife and I recently tried out some Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses at European Sleep Design in Folsom (who were wonderfully helpful, BTW). We really liked the Baltic IA mattress, version A, on the flexible slat base, but the mattress itself on a rigid base was only slightly more comfortable than several others we had tried, including some of IKEA’s latex mattresses. So, we had thought we were just mattress shopping, but apparently we are now in the market for a flexible slat base as well, because that made such a huge difference.

My main question this: What kind of differences are there between the bases sold by the BE sellers or Flo-Bed on one hand, and the IKEA Lonset base? The price difference is huge, ditto the warranty, but the IKEA base is not adjustable like the others, right? Is there anything else we should take into consideration? Reviews I found seem slim on details…

We were originally thinking about ordering a foam mattress from somewhere like Brooklyn Bedding or Leesa, but after experiencing the amount of difference between the stuff we tried, I am inclined to buy something I have actually tried and avoid things I haven’t. The BE system really was that much more comfortable than just a mattress, so now we are planning on going back to IKEA to make sure we try their latex mattresses/toppers/etc on the Lonset base, for a more fair comparison.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi ewmyers,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The difference would be the option for adjustability, but mostly in the quality of the wood being used and the subsequent ability to maintain its bow and flex consistently and not flatten out over time or delaminate. The BE and FloBEds systems you mentioned would be higher quality than the Lonset, which should be apparent when you see the items in person at IKEA.

You can see some thoughts about flexible slat systems in general post #2 here and the posts it links to. Because a flexible slat system is an “active” part of a sleeping system (just like any other layer or component either in, under, or over a mattress that flexes or compresses when you sleep on it) … the only reliable way to know whether this system would work for a particular mattress would be testing the particular mattress upon the particular slatted system you were considering.

There are links to some tension adjustable slatted systems of which I am aware in post #1 here.

Phoenix

We went back to European Sleep Design and to IKEA to retest the flexible slat bases and mattress combinations. ESD made adjustments to the floor model base for us so we could experience the full effect. Wow. Even small adjustments made a big difference, and the whole system got even more comfortable. IKEA only makes one adjustable tension base (the LEIRSUND), which is $210 for a queen size. It seems made of lesser materials, only the slats in the hip area are adjustable, and the those adjustments did not make as big a difference.

Both my wife and I agreed that the Baltic mattress on flexible slats was the most comfortable system by far, but it isn’t cheap ($2100). I thought IKEA’s TROMSDALEN latex topper on the latex MATRAND mattress on the LEIRSUND flexible slat base was still comfortable – in a similar way if not degree – and worth considering at a price of just over $1000. My wife did not find it anywhere near as comfortable as I did, however, so it is out of the running.

Also while at ESD I asked about the longevity of the flexible slat base, and they said about half their repeat customers replace the base when they replace their mattress, and the other half don’t, or just swap the position of some of the slats that are more “worn out” with some that are less so. I’m optimistic this base would last us longer than the 10 year warranty.

Hi ewmyers,

Thanks for your update. You are correct that the ESD adjustable slatted base is made of higher quality materials than the style offered by IKEA, and that it offers much more adjustability.

I think an expectation of 10-years for a quality BE mattress and ESD slatted base would be entirely reasonable, as they both use higher quality and durable materials. The amount of flexibility that you allow the slats to have, especially under the heavier parts of the body, will have an impact on durability, and of course your sensitivity over time to those changes. You’re certainly considering some good-quality products. I’ll be interested in learning about what you decide to purchase, if anything.

Phoenix

We ordered the flexible slat base and the Baltic mattress from ESD today, after trying out yet more mattresses. We both preferred the hybrid mattresses over all-latex, but we did find some some all-latex ones we liked at the Healthy Bed Store in Folsom. In the end we felt that the Nest Latex Hybrid was a little more comfortable than the Baltic on it’s own (and about the same price), but the Baltic + flexible slat base was a clear winner over all, and worth the extra money. It is worth noting that this was still cheaper than many of the quality all-latex mattresses on the market.

Also: both European Sleep Design and The Healthy Bed Store have friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful staff, but the folks at ESD really stood out these regards. I was quite impressed with the service we got and also with the service I saw them give others while we were there.

Hi ewmyers,

Congratulations on your new ESD mattress set purchase! :cheer: You did choose a product using high quality componentry.

I’m glad you received good service at both of the stores you visited. That unfortunately is not as common these days.

I’ll be interested in learning about your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for awhile, and any changes you decide to make in the slatted base configurations as time goes on.

Phoenix

We’ve been sleeping on our new mattress for a couple weeks now, and still haven’t stopped commenting on how comfortable it is when we go to bed at night and when we get up in the morning, and even when we wake up in the night to turn over. I can sleep on my side or my back in total comfort. My posture is better now that I’m not laying curled up like I had to on the old mattress to make it bearable. Both of us have some aches and pains that have lessened or completely gone away.

Also, when a friend or family member lays on the mattress they invariably say something like “Wow. My mattress is no where near this comfortable.”

Hi ewmyers,

Thank you for the update on your mattress. I’m happy that you’re adjusting well to it and sleeping better than before.

I’m looking forward to any future updates you’re able to provide.

Phoenix

So here we are a little over a year into sleeping on our new mattress, and we still love it every bit as much as we did when we first got it :slight_smile:

Hi ewmyers.

It’s great to hear that it is working out so well for you…. thanks for sharing another update now that you had a chance to sleep on your new mattress for almost a year. :cheer:

I’m looking forward to any ongoing updates you have the chance to share over time.

Phoenix