Flexus Comfort Woes & Recourse

I feel kind of bad posting so late in the game; after what felt like weeks of online research and trying mattresses out in store, I was convinced FC was going to be the answer to our old sagging and uncomfortable Stearns & Foster mattress. We went out and James helped us decide on a layer configuration. It felt great in the store, but when we took delivery in November of last year…it was like a completely different experience. The mattress felt extremely firm and yet unsupportive at the same time. We were kind of baffled but figured maybe it just needed time to break in and we needed time to adjust.

We played with layer configurations for over a month and were still waking up sore. We finally realized it wasn’t just “the adjustment period” and requested a layer exchange. We swapped a firm layer for a medium layer, all the while continuing to play with the layer configuration every couple of weeks to try and find the just right sleep sensation.

Somehow amid all the chaos in the rest of our lives we missed the 90 day return window and moved up state to Northern California, rendering returns next to impossible. We wrote Henry, the owner a very nice and apologetic email about our circumstances, and also followed up with a couple of phone calls but to no avail., As a stop gap we bough a tempur-topper and tossed it on top, but we’re STILL not sleeping well and it’s almost been a year. I’m not really sure what to do except just continue to sleep poorly. I suppose latex just isn’t for us and we learned a very expensive lesson about not taking advantage of timely return policies.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions to ‘fix’ our problem (since we don’t have another spare $1800 lying around), or if someone in the bay area wants a deal on a nearly new flexus comfort queen mattress, do let me know!

Hi SantaCruzSleeper,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience and that the mattress you chose didn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

[quote]Somehow amid all the chaos in the rest of our lives we missed the 90 day return window and moved up state to Northern California, rendering returns next to impossible. We wrote Henry, the owner a very nice and apologetic email about our circumstances, and also followed up with a couple of phone calls but to no avail., As a stop gap we bough a tempur-topper and tossed it on top, but we’re STILL not sleeping well and it’s almost been a year. I’m not really sure what to do except just continue to sleep poorly. I suppose latex just isn’t for us and we learned a very expensive lesson about not taking advantage of timely return policies.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions to ‘fix’ our problem (since we don’t have another spare $1800 lying around), or if someone in the bay area wants a deal on a nearly new flexus comfort queen mattress, do let me know![/quote]

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do regarding returning or exchanging layers once you are that far outside of the exchange/return policy and it’s unfortunate that you let the time window slip by but what’s done is done and there may some other possibilities or options that may at least help you find the “best possible” combination with what you have available so that you can sleep a little better.

I’d certainly be happy to make some suggestions to the degree that I can but I will need a great deal more information than you have provided to make any meaningful suggestions or explore any other possibilities that may be helpful.

First the “standard stuff” that you will need to read so that we are on the same page …

[quote]While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can identify the types of changes that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing (at least to the degree that any symptoms are from your mattress rather than the result of any pre-existing issues you may have that aren’t connected to a mattress).

It would also be helpful if you could provide more information that compares and contrasts the specifics of how each layering combination you have tried compared to each other and the specific “symptoms” you experienced on each of them and even more importantly how (and how much) each of your specific symptoms changed with different combinations relative to the other combinations you tried previously. Information about the changes in your experience and symptoms on each combination can act as a pointer to the type or “direction” of changes that may be needed and can be more helpful than just knowing whether any specific combination either “works” or “doesn’t work” or whether it “feels good”…

The first step in identifying the types of changes that may be most helpful is to assess whether the symptoms you are experiencing come from “comfort” and pressure point issues or are coming from support and alignment issues.

If they are coming from comfort and pressure point issues then changes (or perhaps additions) to the upper layers of the mattress will often be the most effective solution.

If they are coming from support and alignment issues then changes to the deeper layers will often be the most effective solution.[/quote]

Once you have read this and the posts it links to then you will need to provide more detailed information about your body types, sleeping positions, the current layers you have available, and your specific “symptoms” of each of the layering combinations you have tried to help identify the changes that you experienced in your sleeping experience and symptoms with each combination … starting with the first one that you tried.

Phoenix