Flobeds big and tall or v zone

Has anybody had any experience with the flobeds big and tall mattress. I’m not sure if it’s overkill to have the horsehair cover and the coir layer on the bottom. Can anyone tell me what the advantages would be , as well as the the extra layer of latex.

Hi Robalo247,

I don’t have any personal experience with it and I don’t know of any forum feedback about it either but I can share some information about the pros and cons of the materials and design that outside or your more detailed conversations with Flobeds (who will know more about it than anyone else) may help you decide whether it’s a good match or the best value for you.

You can read a little more in post #14 here about the benefits of thicker latex mattresses with more layers. More thickness can certainly be beneficial for higher weight ranges (approaching 300 lbs or more) and it can also be a preference for those that are in lighter weight ranges as well but prefer the more “buoyant” feel that comes from a thicker latex mattress.

Horsehair is a natural fiber that has similar properties to wool except to a greater degree. Like wool it has great ventilation and has great temperature regulating properties because of its ability to store moisture inside the fiber and away from the skin to maintain a drier and more temperature regulating microclimate and sleeping surface. It is also more resilient and “springy” than wool. It is a very high quality material that isn’t often seen any more in today’s market outside of more premium mattresses because of its higher cost (see one of the VI Spring mattresses here for an example).

The Rubberized Coir is made from the fibers of the coconut husk that are coated with rubber. It is an incredibly tough and breathable material that is very durable. It provides a firm and stable base with just a little bit of flex that is very breathable for good airflow under the mattress and also protects the heavy latex above it from the surface that it rests on. It is one of the best insulators for example used over innerprings to prevent the materials above it from sinking into the springs and maintaining a flat and resilient surface as a base for the materials above it.

Overall it is a very high quality mattress that uses great materials but whether the higher cost would be justified or would be “worth it” or the “best value” for you would depend on how much of the benefits of the design and materials you would actually feel or are important to you compared to the benefits of other lower cost options that may also be completely suitable for you based on your own personal preferences, sensitivities, budget, and criteria. As with any online purchase that you can’t test in person … the best way to decide this would be a more extended conversation on the phone with Flobeds so they can help “talk you through” the pros and cons of this mattress compared to the other options they have available so you can decide whether the extra cost would be better value for you than some of their lower cost options or whether it would just be an additional expense that wouldn’t have as much value to you in practical terms as it may to someone else.

Phoenix