Flobeds Core Configuration?

I recently joined The Mattress Underground because my wife and I are in the market for a new mattress. We are currently (and have been for the first 6+ years of marriage) sleeping on an old spring mattress. It was fine for awhile, but it’s gotten to the point where we wake up each morning with aches and pains. With that said, we have narrowed our search down to a latex mattress after weeks of online research. In particular, we have just about decided on Flobeds. They seem to have very positive reviews, and a co-worker recently bought a mattress from there and has been very pleased. We are looking at the Posture Deluxe (3-core system). However, I am struggling with the core configuration. My wife is set with a Soft (Top) - Medium (Middle) - Firm (Bottom) and is a side sleeper (5 ft 4 in, <150 lbs) who prefers a softer feel. I am also a side sleeper (5 ft 9 in, <150 lbs) and prefer a firmer feel, but not overly firm. I was considering a Medium (Top) - Medium (Middle) - Firm (Bottom) configuration. After speaking with Dewey at Flobeds, he recommended a Soft (Top) - Medium (Middle) - Firm (Bottom) for both of us. He said that if I wanted a firmer feel, he’d go with a Medium (Top) - Firm (Middle) - Extra Firm (Bottom) configuration as it would offer greater flexibility. After evaluating the ILD ratings on their website, there is quite a difference between a Soft (19 Blended) vs Medium (28 Blended) which is why I was originally thinking a Medium - Medium - Firm configuration. My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for a 3-core system from Flobeds? If I don’t order soon, I may not see another 6+ years of marriage :silly:

Hi vttay03,

As you know I think very highly of Flobeds and their knowledge and experience in the industry and you are certainly looking in a great direction.

Unfortunately you are also the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more information in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them.

When you can’t test a mattress in person though then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (such as Flobeds) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else without you needing to first go through a long learning curve about mattress theory and design and the many complex specs that may be involved that will often lead to information overload and paralysis by analysis.

In most cases and for most people the layering that they suggest based on “averages” will be very close but one of the advantages of a component mattress is that you have many options available after a purchase to fine tune the comfort and support by either rearranging the layers or replacing a layer with one that is either softer or firmer so there is much less risk involved if you are one of the few where your sleeping experience indicates the need to make any changes after your purchase.

Phoenix

This is one of the main reasons the latex “core” option is extremely attractive to me. Because of the split layered approach to configuring the mattress, I feel that a strategic purchase of layers is bound to leave us with a configuration that will work. I truly appreciate this site and all of the light it has shed on a search for our new mattress. I am confident that we’ll end up with something that works for us based on the research and information available. I’ll be sure to report back once the purchase is finalized.

Hi vttay03,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I wanted to follow-up on my original post in case it may help others in the future…

My wife and I have just spent our first two nights in a brand new Flobeds Posture Deluxe mattress…and we couldn’t be happier :slight_smile: After some back and forth, and a phone conversation with Dewey over at Flobeds, we both ended up with a Soft/Medium/Firm configuration. I originally was thinking that I wanted my side a bit firmer but Dewey recommended this configuration because it offered the greatest degree of flexibility, plus it made sense based on our weight. Once the mattress arrived, I tried a Soft/Firm/Medium configuration before deciding that I liked the way my wife’s side (Soft/Medium/Firm) was configured. Needless to say, the last two night’s sleep have been wonderful. A couple of notes:

1. There is a fair amount of work involved with getting the mattress setup. I had to carry/move 4 boxes that ranged in weight from 50-60 lbs up a flight of stairs to the bedroom (and yes, UPS just left them on my front steps without requiring a signature). Arranging the latex layers can also be tiring. I’d recommend trying any configuration you’re interested in the first time around because you may not feel like taking it back apart to re-arrange but so many times.
  2. Be sure to watch the Flobeds installation video, there’s a few subtleties that you’ll want to pay attention to (like make sure the zipper for the wool cover is at the foot of the bed, a mistake I made the first time around).
  3. I built my own bed frame (see attached pics) based on the following plans: http://ana-white.com/2012/01/plans/hailey-platform-bed It seems to provide very nice support for a latex mattress, I used 1x3 boards for the slats with a 3" spacing.

This may be the last you hear from me for awhile…off to the enjoy a good night’s sleep on my Flobed :wink:

Hi vttay03,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback in such detail … I appreciate it :).

It’s great to hear that your choice is working out so well for you.

Thanks for sharing the blueprint for your platform bed as well. It looks very strong especially with the two center support beams and I’ve added it to the list of DIY platform beds in post #1 here.

Sleep well!

Phoenix