FloBeds - Natural Talalay Latex 2" Convoluted (Eggcrate) Topper

Has anyone here purchased a FloBeds - Natural Talalay Latex 2" Convoluted (Eggcrate) Topper? If so, please post your review! :slight_smile:

Hi Spoonman01.

I haven’t used the topper myself but did a forum search to see if I could pull anything useful/helpful for you and found this snippet from this thread:

That’s an interesting assessment on their part. Are you looking for reviews/feedback to help you decide whether this is a topper you may be interested in buying?

NikkiTMU

Thanks for your reply! :slight_smile:

Yes! I’m deciding between the FloBeds Convoluted Talalay Topper or the Omni Sculpted Dunlop Latex Topper. Other than the price (Flo-Bed Omni is $260 vs FloBeds $400), wondering if you can tell the difference of feel and support between the Talalay and Dunlop.

I can’t speak to this topper specifically but (and you may have already discovered this in your research) generally, there is a difference in feel between Dunlop and Talalay. Talalay latex is lighter and less dense by nature than Dunlop. Talalay tends to be more popular because it can be made softer than Dunlop and is more consistent in its softness across the entire surface of the mattress.

Have you reached out to FloBeds directly? They may be able to tell you how much the feel differs between the Talalay and Dunlop.

Hey Spoon - I just ordered the FloBeds 2" Convoluted Topper to add as a comfort layer to the top of my WinkBed Luxury Firm Hybrid Mattress. Looks like they are made to order. My order confirmation shows a expected ship date of March 12th. I need to reach out to them tomorrow to confirm that this 1 month lead time is actually the case. I am a 6’5" 245lbs, 100% side sleeper. The reason I am looking at this is for additional pressure relief on my shoulders and hips. Looking at your previous posts, you have a different setup than I do. Looks like you have a zoned coiled system over a 3" solid medium talalay latex. Are you planning on using this as a topper to soften up your 3" medium talalay latex layer? I’ll be happy to give you my impressions once I receive it, but it looks like it may be about 4 weeks out.

My Winkbeds is giving me good support, but I am just looking for a little more softness pressure relief on the pillowtop layer. Years ago on my old mattress I had a 3" Sensus Memory Foam topper. It started out good, but it slept way too hot and as it aged became very uncomfortable and sagged. It became a terrible stuck feeling.

Anyway this is my first venture into latex. I have a friend that has a latex topper on his bed and got to try it out. I really like the way it feels compared to my old retired memory foam topper. I figured I’d start out with a 2" convoluted layer since my mattress is in good condition and if I still need extra comfort/support I can look at something additional like a Lanoodle Cuddletop over the Flobeds Convoluted topper.

A lot of trial and error to get the perfect mattress configuration. Anyway thanks for the great posts. I’ll post a follow up once I get the topper and have a few nights to try it out and give you my impressions.

Thank you so much for your consideration. I have not yet decided on buying this topper since there are no returns if you don’t like it… I am going to do one additional latex layer swap from my Talalay medium (ILD28), to Talalay medium/soft (24ILD). I’ll let you know how that goes.

I hear you regarding the pressure relief for side sleepers (me being about the same size as you). I’m getting closer to my goal though!

I used to have a Saatva Classic innerspring but after 4 years the polyfoam euro pillow top started to compress (not sag, just flatten).

Regards,
-Spoonman

I’ll be curious what you guys think of each of those toppers because one is talalay and the other I believe is dunlop which obviously respond quite differently to load (I’m similar size to you both). It would be good to see if we could figure out a DIY setup that worked really well for bigger folks because it’s so hard to find mattresses that work no matter what you budget is.

Hi Mattrebuild,

I spoke with Dewey at FloBeds and they are hoping to have my convoluted foam topper ship out by March 12th. So still a few weeks before I receive it. Not sure with the pandemic if there is a latex production shortage, but its around a 1 month lead time from Flobeds for this topper. You are correct, it’s definitely a challenge for larger folks to find the right setup. Being a larger side sleeper I need a little extra plushness on the top layer to take pressure off my shoulder and hips. I have been trying a number of things to get my ideal setup. I just got a new side sleeper talalay latex pillow from Sleep Artisan replacing a 3 year old Nest Easy Breather pillow (Memory Foam) The latex has a different feeling than memory foam and its taking some time to get used to, but so far I’m enjoying the new pillow. The pillow allows me to take out the latex fill and adjust it to get the correct spinal alignment. I love pillow that allow for customizing the exact amount of fill.

Once the Convoluted topper arrives and I’ve had some time to sleep on it, I’ll let you know how it feels and if it improves the overall comfort of my hips and shoulders. I figured I would start with a small adjustment to the mattress. From there if I need more softness/support I can look at additional options such as a LaNoodle or Wool topper. I’m a light sleeper and so the slightest disruption can affect my sleep quality. I have a wish list of different things I am trying to implement to improve my sleep. As I’ve learned from this great community, everyone has different preferences and what works for one person may not work for someone else. You have to be open to trying new things and adjust your sleep system to make it work for you.

Cool! Thanks MAK!

Great info MAK, thanks. I spoke to Dewey on Friday because I had some questions about their Vzone bed and we got talking about the supply chain issues. He said that Talalay Global had a large backlog they were working through due to the shutdowns they went through because of Covid. I don’t know if those convoluted toppers are made by TG also (they are talalay so it’s either TG or Radium) but he also said that he was expecting delivery very soon (I thought he said next week). Sounded like cupply chain issues should smooth out alot more later this year but that it will be tight for at least another 6 months or so.

Thanks for the info Mattrebuild! That makes total sense. I noticed when I was trying to decide on a topper that a lot of the companies had out of stock inventory and didn’t have as many latex options (i.e. firmness/thickness choices) available as they usually do. When I originally ordered from FloBeds their website didn’t say they were out of stock until I placed my order and they gave me a ship date of March 12th. Not a deal breaker by any means. FloBeds were very responsive in answering all of my questions and informing me of the shipping delay. The bedding industry isn’t the only one facing supply chain issues during this pandemic. Good for people to know if they place orders that they may be waiting a while to receive their product, at least when it comes to latex. I would assume it would be the same case for customers ordering Vzone mattresses as well. Thanks Again!

Also, if I remember correctly all or most Vzone beds use this 2" convoluted latex foam as the top layer in their construction. So there may be a lot of people patiently waiting for their vZone mattresses to be built and shipped. Thanks!

Spoon? Mak? Anybody get their FloBeds 2" convoluted latex foam yet? Or, even the Omni Dunlop? Anything to report back to all of us (and others for years to come that will continue to land on your topic) awaiting any answer to your original question for a review of Talalay and/or Dunlop convoluted toppers?

For decades, I’ve always been amazed how often my search or research ends in a dead end in forum topics when I find the same questions I’m asking being asked. discussed at length and guessed about but never answered so the OP or another contributor (like Mak in this case) promises to get back (“I’ll let you know how it feels”), but never does so the thread just ends with a feeling of “okay, so who shot J.R.? why did I just have to read that whole discussion only to be left with no answer and a cliffhanger?”

Did your topper ship March 12th or are they still having supply chain issues? Have you tried it yet? How does it feel? Did you like it best with bumps up or down?

For me, I’m considering FloBeds 2" convoluted versus just a 2" soft ILD Talalay slab versus 2" Dunlop convoluted from FoamOrder (a bit cheaper than the Omni).

For comfort: Is convoluted really better than a slab of foam? If so, why or how? I mean, I totally get the idea, waffle foam on the soles of my Nikes and sport shoes, for example, is better than a slab sole. But, how will the egg crate topper feel different or sleep different? The Angel cake/Pound cake analogy is great for comparing/describing Talalay vs. Dunlop. I can imagine what pinching the two cakes feels like, or what more or less tiny bubbles in the foam feels like or more or less dense feels like, etc. But, the soft ILD convoluted topper/top layer will be the most compressed piece of foam in the entire mattress, are the peaks and valleys even noticeable with a 14 ILD? And, if yes, how? Is that possible to describe? With something like the Angel/Pound cake analogy? Because that’s what I’m still struggling to imagine while online shopping, how different the egg crate will feel, if at all.

For breathability: I’m leaning toward Talalay on top of the Dunlop I already have for the increased airflow. But, I like the feeling of the firm and medium Dunlop layers I have and I’m reluctant to go away from that. Except that I do need a slight bit of pressure point relief, a bit more cooling and a bit more initial surface softness just to top it all off. So, I’m hoping to get all that in a 2 inch soft topper without changing the overall feel much.

For support: I’m hoping the Talalay or the convoluted cut will not noticeably reduce the support level my Dunlop layers provide, only add a touch of softness and pressure relief on the top.

For cost: I’m leaning toward the FoamOrder Dunlop for cost. FloBeds is a bit too pricey for me except that they often have promo codes/sales to bring the cost back within range of other reasonably priced options. But, even with the current promo code, it still costs more than the 2" slab Talalay I’m considering. And, considering that the convoluted cut basically turns one 3 inch piece into two 2 inch pieces making it more profitable, it just doesn’t make sense to me that it’s by far my most expensive option. Unless the egg crate cut does something magic I still have yet to learn about. Hence, my initial and continued interest in your topic, as well as, yours and Mak’s opinions on what you felt when you tried them.

Please update us. Thanks!

No, I did not purchase the convoluted topper because if I didn’t like it it can’t be returned (that’s a big gamble for $400 bucks!). So, instead I tried Birch’s Plush Organic Mattress Topper for $450 because I could return it if I didn’t like it (which is exactly what I just did, returned it). Albeit, the Birch topper isn’t a convoluted topper but it does have an Organic Cotton cover with Joma Wool, with a 1.5" soft Talalay layer plus it was beautifully constructed so I figured I’d try it since I could return it. I found it to be OK, but it didn’t really change the feel of my bed that much to warrant keeping it. You may feel differently so it’s worth giving it a chance! It has a 100 night sleep trial (just like their beds) but you have wait 30 days after delivery before you can return it (standard policy of mattress companies these days). Hope this helps!

Sorry it’s been awhile since my last post. I did recieve my 2" Convoluted Latex Topper from FloBeds in late March and the quality is outstanding. I have been sleeping on it for the last 2 months and it has done a great job of relieving pressure on my hips and spine with my side sleeping. I’m a large male side sleeper 6’5" and 228lbs. I have a Winkbed Luxury Firm Innerspring mattress about 11 months old which I find to be pretty firm on its own. The hip and shoulder pressure on my side was bothersome without the Flobeds topper. Eventhough its only a 2" convoluted layer its made a major difference in my sleep pattern. I have a Garmin Sleep app on my watch and my movement at night has been significantly reduced. My Garmin App’s sleep score has improved and it’s telling me I am getting a lot more restful sleep than before I added the topper. The topper took a little bit of getting used to like any new change to your sleeping surface. Overall, it’s been a great addition to my mattress and I’m glad I purchased it. Is there still room for improvement in my sleep system? I think so, since I am still not getting many hours of deep sleep. I’m lucky if I get 2 hrs of deep sleep per night. The majority of my sleep is light sleep according to my Garmin App. I think maybe the addition of a LaNoodle topper might be the icing on the cake, as I think I need just a little bit more pressure relief. Or maybe another solid 2" layer of Medium ILD talalay below the Flobeds topper. I also tend to sleep hot so I have just purchased a new wool comforter and Egyptian cotton Duvet cover. We’ll see how the new comforter helps, as my current blanket system sleeps too hot. I’ve also lost over 30lbs since the New Year so some of my benefit of side pressure relief might be due to not carrying excess belly fat. Still I’m very impressed with the pressure relief this 2" convoluted topper has given me. My wife who is a lot smaller and lighter than me has told me she has never slept better. Depending on your height and weight your mileage may very on how effective this topper is for you. Flobeds uses this 2" convoluted layer as the top layer of all of their mattresses, so I would say it is quite soft compared to a solid latex layer. But having a firm/supportive mattress, it definitely helps by given me added pressure relief. I just wanted to give you my initial thoughts. Dewey at Flobeds was very helpful and answered all my questions. I did also purchase the organic cotton cover which encases the latex. The cover also had nice straps that go over all 4 sides of your mattress so the topper is very secure and never slides out of place. If you don’t have a zippered encasement on your matterss that can take extra layers and are thinking of getting one of these, then I highly recommend you order the cotton cover. It makes your mattress layers more seamless. I hope this helps and gives you a little more insight with my experience with this topper. If you have any other questions please let me know.

I thought I would add a little off topic but I am a long term Flobeds owner now going on 13 years. A little backstory: This site is what helped me to decide on the Flobeds Talay type King size setup. We use the foam pads with standard box springs in and oak frame with the quilted zip around cover on the foam. And more unusual was to satisfy my wife’s urge to have waterbed kind of feel, we bought the waterbed tubes for that side (and I don’t think Flobeds sells those anymore). Yes my wife and I are about as different as you can get with me wanting a bit firmer and she liking it softer. And certainly she is the princess and the pea, frantic about any motion I might make that she might feel.

A few years ago after substituting various firmness sections and as they age, we also decided to buy the Aerus Memory Foam 5 lb topper. I’m pretty sure it was a returned product and we got a pretty good price on it. But, safe to say, we were rather disappointed having it as a topper. The feel of it, even though it’s a monster piece of memory foam, just wasn’t right. So we ultimately inserted it below the top layer of Talay foam. Just to add to the total density of the mattress. So foam/memory topper/foam. That seems to be better and made it not a total loss.

At the same time for years, with her parents and brother swearing by their expensive Tempurpedic mattresses, this becomes a battleground of pressure to get the same or stick with the Flobed. I can’t say that I’ve had a full test ride on a Tempurpedic to give any worthy opinion of them. My wife on occasion complains about the Flobed but strangely, she seems to sleep just fine every night. Go figure.
The power of peer pressure? I’m actually at a point now where I would like to order new foam pieces from Flobed but I have a feeling that will open up another can of worms.

Yep, that can of worms always leads me down another “worm hole”! :woohoo: :lol: