Foam mattresses / Certi-PUR

I was reading some articles last night about foam mattresses. A few websites stated that even if the foam is Certi-PUR certified, over time, the mattresses will break down and still release toxic chemicals. One blog stated that Certi-PUR checks the foam in its current state, not after being used for years.
Now I am aware everything breaks down to some extent over time, but are these statements true? Could you be buying a mattress you feel is a “healthier” choice than regular foam, to have it release the same poisons you were trying to stay away from to begin with?

Thanks in advance for any any/all advice.

Hi mamaccino,

You can read what CertiPur tests for in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s on this page of their site*. You are correct that I would only use CertiPur as a “safety” certification rather than a “quality” or “durability” certification. Post #4 here has the guidelines that I would suggest to make sure there are no obvious weak links in a mattress in terms of durability. There is also more detailed information in post #4 here about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person.

ADMIN NOTE:*Always check CertiPur site for the latest guidelines available

You are also correct that memory foam or polyfoam will break down into smaller particles over time and become part of the household dust and there are some people that are more sensitive or have specific health conditions where this is also a concern and this may be one of the reasons that some people choose to avoid polyfoam or memory foam completely.

Post #2 here and the many other posts and sources of information it links to has much more about the very complex and controversial issues surrounding the safety of mattresses and different materials and fire barriers that can help each person answer the question of “how safe is safe enough for me?” based on more factual information or at least “preponderance of the evidence” when definitive answers aren’t always available.

Phoenix