Foam Memory Mattress Question

So I started looking at new mattress a few months ago when I stumbled on this site. I currently have a 9 year old Stearns & Foster that neither my wife nor I are pleased with. So I wanted to give the foam memory a try and talked my wife into going to a local store and testing a Tempur-Pedic and a Serta iComfort (which my wife liked). I also checked out the Original Mattress Factory 's version of the memory foam mattress. But after stumbling across this site I was really intrigued by what I read regarding Country Bedding (Amish manufacturer in Northeast Ohio). It’s about an hour from my house so I’m going to invest some time and make a Sat afternoon trip. The topic I was reading before stated they offered a 6" core with 2" memory foam on both sides . I have a 20 year old flippable mattress in my guest bedroom and it’s held up really well (it was my master bedroom mattress for 14 years…Youngstown manufacturer that has since gone out of business). So a flippable memory foam has me really intrigued. From what I’ve read I need at least 1.8 lb./ft core and at least 5 lb. top layer ( preferably more with gel) and if gel avoid particulate matter. I’m 6’3" 195 lbs and my wife is 5’3" (I think she embellishes) and about 102 lbs. She been complaining of a sore back lately when she sleeps on her stomach so she’s been making a concerted effort to sleep on her back. I sleep on my back/side/stomach without any problems other that the annoying dips in the mattress. My questions are:

1. Does a memory foam mattress sound like a good option for us …based on your experience?
  2. Is a flippable memory foam mattress that unusual and will the flippable feature significantly extended the life ?
  3. From the previous topic you recommended inquiring if the core was made in the U.S. Any core manufacturers I should look for or avoid ?
  4. Any other questions you’d like me to ask for your knowledge base ?

Hi BGFalcon,

If I was in the area … I would certainly include Country bedding in my research and there has been some good feedback about them in the forum. You’ve probably seen this but just in case some of the other options in the area are in post #2 here

I do know from the feedback of other forum members that their memory foam is 5 lbs, their gel foam is a 4 lb “swirl gel” (which is good quality material and probably GGlex made by flexible foam) and I would guess that their base foam is at least 1.8 lbs or better but this hasn’t been confirmed by any of the feedback yet.

The material itself is really a matter of preference and the suitability is a matter of the design and layering of the mattress. there really isn’t such a thing as one material being “better” than another for a certain condition because any material or combination of materials can be layered in a way that can be suitable for a particular person … and not for the next. No matter what material you prefer though … it will have better and worse quality versions and better quality is more durable and usually a better choice.

Yes it is very unusual and it will extend the life to quite some degree. The key with a mattress like this is that the comfort layers on each side aren’t so soft that they affect support when the are on the bottom and with this one it’s not an issue.

It’s already been confirmed that their foams are made in the USA which would be good enough for me. Many manufacturers prefer to keep their sources private (for competitive reasons) but I would have no issues with their sources.

The only missing piece that I don’t know (and would like to) is the density of the support foam. The rest is in various posts in this thread.

I’m looking forward to your feedback and adding to the knowledge base about what I consider to be a very good option … but can’t talk to in person :slight_smile:

Phoenix