Foam similar to couches

Can anyone help me? My expensive spring mattresses hurt my shoulders. The most comfortable surfaces for me are couches, which are foam. I’m not sure these are latex, rather just dense 6" foam, not memory foam. What should I ask for to get this feel? Many years ago I had a futon which was similar and very comfortable just on the floor.

Thanks!

Hi Lynn.portnoy,

I noticed you registered with your email address as your username which can lead to spambots harvesting your email and adding you to their spam lists so if you’d like me to remove the @… part of your username just let me know.

Most couches use polyfoam that is in the 1.8 lb - 2 lb range and higher (typically with a dacron or synthetic fiber wrap) and in a firmer IFD/ILD than most mattresses because of the more concentrated weight of sitting vs lying down. There are hundreds of versions of sofas with different “feels” though (just like mattresses) and for foam grades that have a higher compression modulus (how quickly a foam becomes firmer as you compress it more deeply) you will find lower ILD’s and the thickness of the cushion will also play a significant role in the ILD choice that is best for a specific application.

If you know the specifics of the materials that were in your futon (the IFD, density, and thickness of the polyfoam layer or layers along with any other materials in the futon) it would be much easier to approximate it.

If you like the feel of polyfoam then it may be worth considering a polyfoam topper for your mattress to add some additional pressure relief and softness. While it won’t be the same as your futon because every layer of a sleeping system affects the feel of every other layer and component (a topper will feel different depending on what is underneath it) … it would at least have the “feel” of polyfoam.

There is more about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that may be helpful if you decide to go in this direction.

If you are considering a whole new mattress then post #8 here and post #4 here have some information about two polyfoam mattresses that are made by two of the members of this site that would also be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Yes thanks please remove the …@… and many thanks. Now I’ll read your info thanks again…

Hi Lynne.portnoy,

Done … and I also removed the domain name in your post and my reply as well :).

You can log in with just the Lynne.portnoy username now.

Phoenix