Foam upper layers least likely to sag? Post-Nest Bedding purchase...

Hi Phoenix,

So after about 8 months of a Nest Bedding Hybrid mattress, it started to sag for my girlfriend and I…

At this point, all we want is to find a mattress in which the upper layers will last and not sag after a short period, ideally not for several years!

We are open to inner spring core or foam core, it doesn’t matter to us. But we are trying to find a company that uses foam upper layers that will last. We prefer medium-firm to medium-soft.

Are there any brands that you think fit that description?

Thank you very much in advance,
Damon

Hi damonmcm70,

I’m sorry to hear that your Nest Bedding mattress isn’t working out for you as well as you had hoped. As you say it is sagging (all foams will take a bit of a set over time), it is an actual impression that is over the 1" warranty guidelines of Nest Bedding, or is it just a softening in the area, which I term a “phantom” or “virtual” body impression?

Also, what are you using for both a frame and support system under your mattress? Whenever someone comments about a mattress having a sag, I always suggest a “ground up” assessment to make sure that there is nothing under the mattress that may be contributing to a premature sag within the mattress.

It wouldn’t be a particular brand that you’d be looking for, but specific componentry within a mattress that you’d want to look for. Post #2 here has some information about the gradual softening of all foam that may be useful for you to manage your expectations.

Post #3 here has some good information about all foams and how they rank generally in durability. Latex will tend to be your most durable foam, followed by higher density memory foams and then higher density polyfoams.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the feedback Phoenix.

Well, its more of a softening than an actual permanent sag, so maybe to be expected from foam?

And I have a flat platform beneath it…

Thanks as always Phoenix!
Damon

Hi damonmcm70,

Thanks for the feedback. The Alexander Hybrid does have some soft foam on top (2" of 1.5 lb. polyfoam on top of 2" of 3.5 lb. gel copper memory foam), so I certainly would expect some softening with those specifications, especially as those are the uppermost layers within the mattress.

While all foams will soften over time, you can minimize that by choosing higher-density polyfoams and higher-density memory foams, or latex foams. These will all maintain more of their support factor as time goes on and have less of an overall change.

Having the flat, firm platform beneath your mattress provides a good foundation and as long as it isn’t flexing would not be a cause for concern nor contribute to your mattress softening or sagging prematurely.

You’re welcome!

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix :slight_smile:
And just as a closing note, I’m considering replacing this with a Vi Spring entry level mattress. It seems there is less likelyhood of softening etc with their natural fibers within the first few years (other than maybe some slight clumping), so I might just try that option as I am concerned about the softening of foam, and have never found a latex comfort layer I find comfortable.
Damon

Hi damonmcm70,

Vi-Spring certainly makes some exceptionally high quality hand built and tufted mattresses that uses high quality materials and components (pocket coils and natural fibers) but as you probably know they are in a much more premium budget range than many other mattresses that also use natural materials. There is more about Vi Spring and other “ultra premium” mattresses in post #2 here and post #2 here and post #2 here may also be of interest as well but I would be very careful to differentiate how you feel “about” a Vi Spring and how you feel “on” a Vi Spring. There are certainly cases where a mattress in this budget range may be “worth it” for a particular person that isn’t price sensitive and that has specific criteria that aren’t available in lower budget ranges but this would be unusual and in general I would need a compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” compared to many other mattresses that may be just as suitable in terms of comfort and PPP, just as durable, and that are in much lower budget ranges to justify the higher cost.

With that being said… I should also mention that the most knowledgeable people I know and have talked with about “super premium” brands (including some who have worked at some of them or toured their factories) have always spoken highly of VI Spring and tend to rate them either among the best or often the best of the super premium fiber/innerspring brands.

Phoenix

Thanks as always Phoenix, I’ll take all that into consideration!
Best,
Damon

Hi damonmcm70,

I’ll be interested to learn if you get one of the Vi Spring products and what you thought of their buying process and mattresses in general.

Phoeinx

I want a VI Spring so darn bad.

That entry level model has a lot of cotton and will most likely become firmer as the cotton starts packing down. Instead of saggy. (same for the ones with lots of wool, so really, all of them)

God i love Vi Spring mattresses. Never owned one but my goodness, favorite mattresses i’ve ever tried.

Hi paisley,

Unless someone has a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would generally be a very small percentage of people) … I would tend to avoid trying to predict how a mattress will feel or perform for someone else over time. Making predictive statements like this without any real in-depth knowledge of the product, it’s assembly facilities, results of durability testing, along with not knowing the potential use, sleeping style, somatotype or other factors associated with the potential use of the product actually can do more harm than good, as these statements aren’t based upon technical data and facts, which is more the focus of this forum…

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

So…
I bought the ViSpring Elite in a medium…it’s a beautiful mattress, but way to firm for me and my girlfriend.

I’m trying decide what to do to make it softer/plusher on my back, and because I’ve never felt great on latex, or most foams, I’m considering a wool/cotton topper.

I’m checking out some options at the Clean Bedroom in NYC, but thought I would ask you one, what kind of topper you would think would best provide more plushness on an innerspring/wool/cotton mattress like ViSpring, and two, if you new of any specific brands or stores in NY you would recommend?

All the best,
Damon

Hi damoncm70,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t be able to tell what you might like best, as I can’t feel what you feel, but if you don’t want foam for a topper, you’re pretty much limiting yourself to natural fibers or perhaps a microcoil topper. There is a good post that talks about choosing a topper, and then it links to some of the better topper suppliers of which I am aware, in post #2 here that may be helpful to you.

First confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New York City region are listed in post #2 here . I’m not able to keep track of what retailers might have certain types of toppers, as inventories are constantly changing, so you’d have to do a little searching or phoning on your own before making a visit.

I hope that helps!

Phoenix

I will check these links out and see what might work.
PS, interestingly enough, my back hasn’t hurt the last few nights, despite the mattress being firmer than I’m used to, so maybe I won’t need a topper after all?
They say firm mattresses are good for back injuries like mine, so I might just ride it out as is…

Best,
Damon

Hi damonmcm70,

There is always that initial period where you adjust to your mattress and your mattress adjusts to you, so I’m hoping that as time progresses you’ll be comfortable with your purchase and there won’t be a need for further customization.

Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Phoenix

I have had the exact same problem with the vispring elite medium (twin XL). So close to great but just a bit too firm and I have not been able to find a topper that works for me. Considering buying something new and giving the vispring to my 3 year old, which is ridiculous but he needs a big boy bed and i am not sure what else to do. Any thoughts on putting a 3 year old on a medium vispring elite? Too firm for him or will it be a great mattress. Sad it has come to this. Wish i got the soft :frowning:

Hi Rosenthal311.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am sorry that the Vi-Spring hasn’t worked out for you and that you could not find a way to make it work… the good news is that there shouldn’t be any reason to prevent you from passing on this great product to your son. It’s using only ultra-premium and safe materials and can be very suitable for a child.

Generally, growing children do very well with a mattress more in the “medium” to “medium-firm” range, due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation. Babies and infants will generally need a firm to extra firm sleeping surface while toddlers will generally need a medium firm to firm sleeping surface and older children that have transitioned to a larger mattress and are out of the crib will generally do best on a medium to a medium firm sleeping surface. There are also some general firmness guidelines in post #2 here for choosing a mattress for a child in different age ranges that may also be helpful. Vi Spring is a super-premium mattress certainly using very high quality and natural materials that you can certainly invest in the wellbeing of your son for many years to come.

Innerspring/natural fiber mattresses are the most ventilating, humidity controlling, and temperature regulating mattresses available and have a unique feel because of the natural fibers (which are performing differently from foam)

I am looking forward to any updates you might have about your son’s transition to his “big boy bed” :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the input. Glad to hear it will be a good mattress for the little guy. With any luck he can use it until he goes off to college and we will get the most out of our purchase :slight_smile:

Hi Rosenthal311.

You are very welcome!

This sounds like a good plan! I am looking forward to some updates you might have on how the new mattress agrees with the “little guy” :silly:

Phoenix