Foamsource (Boulder Comforts)

Does anyone have experience with or reviews of foamsource.com latex matresses?

They are a local option for an 8" or 10" all-latex mattress with split firmness. Their prices are about 30% higher than a comparable mattress from Sleepez (NuLex Natural v… Select Sleep 10000), and I’m wondering if the local option is worth the additional cost.

Cheers.

Good question. Phoenix has dealt with this in many threads and somewhere refers to a personal value equation. If you haven’t read his thread on how to pick a mattress you should start by at least skimming it.

Having been in high service/knowledge retail sales most of my adult life I can tell you that there is a higher cost of doing business with a “bricks and mortar” store. I am willing to pay for this and the ability to test the mattress in person. However, if the personnel don’t know their products and don’t give you good service than it may not be worth the premium price.

My first latex mattress became too soft within a week and I had the dealer pick it up. They didn’t even charge me for the pick up. I chose my second mattress, a keeper, after spending long sessions, wearing loose fitting clothing, on the two finalists. I made my choice based partly on the feel of the knit cover on one. It let the latex mold to me more than the woven cover on my second choice. I would never have known how much this subtle difference would make if I hadn’t been able to “demo” the mattresses.

As I am in my mid 60’s and have a bad back, I did not want to deal with moving or installing mattresses. I also didn’t want to wait weeks for delivery. For me it was an easy choice to pay a little more. Your mileage may vary. At both stores I was offered a discount when I asked what they could do for me, so don’t be intimidated by the marked prices.

Good luck in your search. I almost drove from up to Boulder to check out Foam Source, but changed my mind after visiting My Sleep Nation and The Natural Sleep Store. Other Front Range options are listed in this post:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/side-sleeper-in-co-need-advice-on-good-qnaturalq-mattress

Hi Lew,

Thanks for the quick reply.

With the cost of a new mattress, the convenience of buying local is certainly worth something. My wife and I demoed a number of mattresses today and settled upon one from FoamSource, realizing that there is no such thing as a perfect mattress. We did get a discounted price from the gentleman there.

My concern is that I can find very few reviews (3 positive and 1 negative) on the interwebs about Foam Source latex mattresses, especially in comparison to some place like SleepEz. No information here or at SleepLikeTheDead, not much via Google.I checked their BBB rating (A+), but no other info.

I was hoping to get some more information before making a decision.

I like to get feedback from other users also. In this case it may not matter as much because they are transparent about the construction of their mattresses. It isn’t like buying from a big manufacturer who won’t tell you how their beds are built. I hope it exceeds expectations. Ours has, so far!

Hi Co-Hoya,

I think LEW’s comments are a close reflection of what I would say as well.

The quality/value of a mattress depends entirely on the construction and quality of the materials inside it and since they are completely open about what is in their mattress, any feedback about the same materials used by any manufacturer would apply to those same materials in a mattress made by any manufacturer.

Of course each manufacturer may offer different levels of knowledge, service, and experience and make different options available to their customers so knowing more about them and what they offer can also make a big difference in each person’s personal value equation.

As LEW also mentioned … I would also place a premium on the lower risk and other benefits that can go with dealing with a local manufacturer or retailer vs online and as an arbitrary number I usually suggest a local premium in the range of 20 - 25% or so would be “roughly equivalent value” but of course each person may have their own number and risk tolerance.

In my brief interactions with foamsource (a couple of phone calls) I have found them to be knowledgeable and transparent and they have been in business for over 25 years so I personally wouldn’t have any issue dealing with them. I would measure the quality and value of their mattresses in the same way I would any other based on the materials that are in them, the benefits of dealing with that particular merchant, and on the other parts of your own personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you both for the replies.

We decided to go ahead with the 10" Nu-Lex FoamSource mattress,due to the quality, convenience and lead time.

The mattress will be constructed and delivered by tomorrow afternoon, so a one-day turnaround. We also liked the warranty (20-year with the first 10 non-prorated).

Matt at FoamSource and I discussed the protocol for exchanging either 2" latex layer - I just call ahead, bring the layer with me and he’ll have the replacement waiting (no charge). Since I’m trying to find a solution for a bad back, I don’t think I could ask for a simpler way of dialing the mattress in over the next two months. Buying from a manufacturer within a 10 minute drive is certainly worth a premium, I think.

I’ll try to remember to give a review after we settle upon a final configuration.

Cheers!

That layer exchange sounds about as easy as it could get! I look forward to your review. Lew

Hi CO_Hoya,

I’m also looking forward to your feedback.

I think you made a good choice for the right reasons.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I also had a very positive recent experience with Boulder Comforts (foamsource.com). The team of Matt, Casey, and Rhonda know what they are talking about.

My wife and I stopped into the Boulder showroom on a Friday after work. Matt walked us through the different combinations of latex and foam. No pressure. We decided on an 8" natural talalay latex Queen. Normally split 6" base, 2" topper, they even offered to split the 6" base into a 3" firm, 3" medium. It was delivered the following Monday (3 day turnaround!).

As others have said, they allow you to exchange layers by bringing them to their showroom. We did that twice - no problem. And frankly, I found their prices to be very competitive or better than other local retailers of latex mattresses. And we are fortunate to have several good choices in the Boulder/Denver area.

Boulder Comforts is a very reputable, knowledgeable, local business. I am happy give them my business and my recommendation.

P.S. - Thank you Phoenix for all your contributions here. Your help led me to a much better mattress!

Hi jmilanski,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about Foamsource. It’s great to see you were dealing with such knowledgeable people there and that they also provided such good service.

Layer exchanges are also a really useful option to have available if you need to customize a mattress after a purchase and I’m glad you had the chance to make use of it.

It seems to me that you made a very good choice and most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix