FOR MAXIMUM COOLING SHOULD I PUT GEL TOPPER OVER MATTRESS PAD OVER MATTRESS?

I want serious cooling with a layer of comfort previously provided with a 5"memory foam topper that made me sweat like hell.

Will it work well to put a gel topper, on top of a mattress pad, so both are over my older inner spring coil way-too-firm-for-me mattress and box spring?

1. Should I get a matress pad and put a gel pad ON TOP of it?

2. If I should use only a gel pad can I get one with plenty of gel and that 5" lovely soft sink in feel to it?

3. Bearing in mind my quest for plush plus heavy duty cooling - do I need a mattress pad at all if I get a gel infused topper?

4. Can somebody tell me which is the coolest type of topper if it is not gel?

5. If I have an inner spring coil mattress will a gel foam topper still work as well on top of it or should I get a gel infused mattress? Please make recommendations.

6. Should I get bamboo-covered everything - pillow cases, sheets, quilt cover and anything else you advise to make cool sleep possible?

Hi mcp85718,

Thank you for this question; there are many aspects to what you are asking, so let’s take it point by point. I am going to try and guide you to various links and sites for your further research.
The first thing I have to say is 5" of memory foam is thicker than I would ever recommend. Our company uses 1" and 2" combinations of gel infused memory foam. I have not heard of anyone who even makes a 5" all memory foam topper.

When you say “Mattress Pad” are you referring to a pad that offers more comfort, or a mattress protector, which is commonplace in today’s retail offerings? Any protector that claims they are waterproof or water resistant will add to your heat issue. You may want to invest in a natural mattress protector like the one Shepherds Dream offers.
You can see some recommendations about toppers in thispost #8 which I find very helpful.

Layers that are closer to the top sleeping surface will have the greatest impact upon comfort and sleeping temperature (including your mattress pad, sheets and linen). There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here.
Look at Danican’s cooling sheets and pillowcase for an idea of companies that have new cooling fabrics that you can incorporate into your sleep system. These sheets would go over all the layers you create for maximum comfort and will help keeps things cool.

As I stated above, I don’t know of any 5" gel memory foam toppers; however you can buy a 3" and a 2" to layer them for the full 5" you are looking for.

[quote]Bearing in mind my quest for plush plus heavy duty cooling - do I need a mattress pad at all if I get a gel infused topper?[/quote] Again, are you looking at mattress pads to provide even more comfort, or a mattress protector which protects your mattress from sweat and stains?

I don’t think anyone on this forum would hesitate for even a moment, and we would all guide you to latex as the most temperature neutral, most breathable component we use in the mattress industry. Latex will not provide the same cozy, encompassing feeling you have with memory foam; however, they are making new latex products that are getting closer. The Mattress Underground has many experts on Latex, and I would absolutely recommend you go to a local mattress store and try out latex before you get too far into your research. Parklane Mattresses uses 100% Talalay Latex extensively throughout our line.
This is an excellent component reference, and includes the better online sources I’m aware of for latex toppers and components.

There is a good post you can read here to get insight about shopping for a topper separate from the mattress.
Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper, and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.
Try and have a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other, or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market). This can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

If heat is your issue, I would recommend staying with some type of innerspring mattress, and not going for an all foam product. Memory foam mattresses are much warmer than an innerspring because there is minimum air ventilation that can make it through all of the foam. The springs in your current “too firm” mattress is providing you with air flow that is helping…even if you cant tell.

[quote]Should I get bamboo-covered everything - pillow cases, sheets, quilt cover and anything else you advise to make cool sleep possible?[/quote] Bamboo is plentiful on the market today, but in your case, if you are sticking to Gel Memory Foam, I would look at products with the new cooling technology.
There is a great post that address sleeping temperature. I referenced this same link above, and I encourage you to read this.

I hope I have address your questions and concerns. You are on an adventure; and to make this successful, you are going to need to do your research.
Starting with The Mattress Underground Experts is a great first move.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, and I wish you great success in creating
the perfect sleep system.

Debbie Lewis

I am interested in this question too and appreciate your insights! Right now I am “sleeping hot” and generally not comfortable with a two year old Charles Rogers St.Charles mattress which, i’m fairly convinced is due to a Pillow Top that i didnt realize would be problematic in terms of heat or a cratering effect… I know the overall product is well crafted but it’s not working out and I am looking at a latex topper - Talalay probably best… Question is, how does one of these work if the mattress has this pillow top ?
Adding another 2" topper seems like it makes the mattress height unusually high and I dont know if sheet sets would easily fit such dimensions… this mattress already seems plenty big heightwise…

Hope you might be able to help and thanks! mike

Hi Mikes425,

Heat is a big issue for many people, and I see you and Phoenix had a past conversation regarding this. It looks like your mattress is 12.5" thick, which is not going to be a problem for sheets, even if you add a 2" topper. As Phoenix pointed out, your bedroom needs to be kept as cool as possible while you sleep. environments are sometimes the easiest fix depending on where you live.

Then, I am hoping you were able to look at the cooling sheets that Danican and other companies are offering. This too can be an easy fix.

Latex is temperature neutral and an excellent choice as a topper. you can get Latex in a variety of firmness, so I would suggest you engage in a conversation with some of the latex experts on The Mattress Undergroundfor their input. This can also help you from sinking into your pillow top, so it could be a win - win. I would suggest that if you get a topper, you place it above the mattress protector; they are notorious for warming up a sleeping surface based on their ability to stop moisture from entering the mattress.

I am also a big fan of wool as a temperature regulator. My company, Parklane Mattressesfeatures a variety of wool toppers that work well for this issue. Again, I would place this above the mattress protector so it can really “do it’s job”

Please be conscious of how much softer or firmer any topper will make your mattress. This is your chance to potentially change the feel of the comfort layers in your bed, while maintaining the support from your spring system.

I don’t know if I have added any insight into your current sleeping situation, but I hope I have given you a few things to consider as you move towards a solution.

Debbie Lewis
Parklane Mattresses

Thanks for a great answer - very helpful and much appreciated. I wanted to correct a mistake - the foam overlay is 4" not 5".

Debbie,

I would also like more simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers even if it is only your own best guess.

Regardless of others have different opinions on the questions I have restated below, that is still exactly what I want - your informed opinion - as to whether or not a gel topper will add to any cooling effects of a mattress pad.

Firstly to answer your question it is comfort not protection I want from a pad.

So:

1. If you think I can get the same amount of comfort and cooling from a mattress pad alone, please state that specifically.

2. If you think I can add to cooling and comfort using a gel topper and a mattress pad together, please state that specifically.

3. If you think the gel topper alone is better for either comfort or cooling please say so.

4. Please specify the materials and the percentage of components I am best off looking for - related again to cooling alone - in any type of gel topper or pad I should look for.

I have a brain injury that makes learning difficult - although your last answer was great, it will not work to provide me with more general links and info.

I could not get any further looking at the info in the links. I literally cannot process the information.

So you will give me the best chance possible if you state a definite ‘yes’ or ‘no’ then add any simple information after that. It is hard to explain except to say I went over a cliff in a car - but answering tje way I ask is what does work. So please help me exactly that way as I need something to sleep on besides a blowup mattress and soon!

It’s now a while since I first wrote and I really want to save time and get something soon.

Thank you in advance for the help.

None of the materials you mention allow air to circulate freely. So you will end up sleeping on a hot surface. You should make some adjustments to your setup. Namely, you should punch a hole though your mattress. Yes, this sounds terrible at first, but it works very well. I’ve been a hot sleeper for years, tried different mattresses, nothing helped until I took matters into my own hands. It’s not difficult at all. And here are the instructions:

http://mattresshacks.com/ventilated-mattress-vent

A fellow hot sleeper.

Hi mcp85718,

I understand.
So this is what I would tell you in regards to cooling; LATEX.
Latex is temperature neutral, Latex has holes in every piece that adds to airflow.
Gel Memory Foam will always be warmer than Latex, though Gel Memory Foam will be cooler than traditional Memory Foam. If you are interested in just the cooling and not the comfort component, then Latex - 100% of the time I will say Latex!
It is a premium product and will perform accordingly. Once you research Latex, you will find there are two processes to make Latex, and it is either 100% Natural, Blended or Synthetic. These names should speak for themselves in regards to the make-up of each, and the price will be reflective. The process are Dunlop and Talalay. Our company only uses 100% Talalay Latex cores and toppers. If you want additional information on Latex, The Mattress Underground has some excellent resources in our Expert Section who can guide you.

You cannot get the same amount of comfort from a mattress pad over a topper, and in the earlier post I showed you companies like Danican who offers sheets made from the cooling fabric that would help.

Yes, I believe you can for a few hours, again if the topper is under a sheet or protector made exclusively from an all cooling fabric like this. The cooling will not last through the night as the fabric and the gel will warm to the surrounding air.

If you like the cozy feel of Memory Foam, it will be best for comfort. Again, Gel Memory Foam is cooler than traditional Memory Foam, but it will still be warmer than Latex.

They are doing so many things to Memory Foam these days, it is hard to keep up. Manufacturers have infused it with Liquid Gel and Graphite in order to make it cooler. However; most people report that initially it feels cooler, but the effect do not last throughout the night.

I encourage you to explore the wonderful world of Latex and Wool. Latex for the temperature neutral comfort you are seeking over your hard mattress, and Wool as an option to absorb moisture throughout the night. Please visit Shepherds Dream to see quality Wool products. You should be able to find other options on the Internet, but wool is a wonderful product for keeping you cool in the summer and warmer in the winter.

MattressHacker posted a solution that I had not seen before, and would caution against. Punching a hole in your mattress will definitely have an effect on your sleep surface, and it may not ultimately be what works for you.

I hope this is easier to read. I tried not to send you to past discussions on The Mattress Underground, but there is a lot of very good information buried in the pages.

I encourage you to ask one of the Latex Experts for input if you decide to investigate a Latex Topper.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Debbie Lewis
Parklane Mattresses

Latex is another word for rubber. Tiny holes in latex get squished once you lay on them. Robber retains moisture - bad.

Hi MattressHacker,

I have to disagree, Latex is indeed rubber with holes that allow for optimum airflow, but it does not retain moisture like you stated. The cover fabric of the topper could, but not the actual Latex. Natural Latex is inherently dust mite, mildew, and mold resistant.

Latex is a premium quality component that is not right for everyone. However, in this case regarding adding some type of comfort and keeping the bed as temperature neutral as possible, I will always recommend someone investigate Latex as a strong option. I also encourage people to learn about Wool to help keep your sleeping surface at a comfortable temperature.

Thank you for your input MattressHacker!

Debbie Lewis
Parklane Mattresses

With all due respect I also have to disagree with you, but before I tried latex toppers and mattresses I would have thought similarly that latex/rubber would sleep hot and sweaty. I came to learn that the latex itself is an open cell structure which allows it to breathe and maintains a very temperature neutral sleeping surface. Most memory foam is not as breathable and generally sleeps much hotter.

For me a term breathable means you can breath though it. As in, cover your mouth and try to breath. For example, a ‘reticulated filter foam’ is breathable. An American material called AirSpring is breathable: http://airstring.com , a Japanese material called ‘breathair’ is breathable.

If you look up latex on Wikipedia: Latex - Wikipedia
it will tell you that ‘Natural rubber is the most important product obtained from latex;’

What does breathable mean to you? Perhaps we are talking about different things.

Hi MattressHacker,

Those are interesting products you provided. I am offering my opinion of the best temperature neutral options available today. I could only find one mattress using Airstring, and it seems industry specific for airline crew. Any new product would need to pass the test of time no matter what the claimed benefits are. Airstring was introduced in 2017 and as I noted above, there are no major mattress company currently “adopting” this technology.

You obviously have a good sense of the mattress industry because you know about new technology for a very old industry, and you go by the name MattressHacker. I think we both understand what breathable means, and I am suggesting Latex (which you know normally has holes throughout the entire piece or core, unless it is a Dunlop continuous or special pour ) or wool.

Debbie Lewis
Parklane Mattresses

I spoke with airstring a while back. Their stuff is in several brands of outdoor furniture and in some major brand mattress cores. But I think they are a “silent partner” of some sort and don’t want any attention.