Found the Perfect Mattress - Too much Money

Here are the answers I got:
The innerspring foam encasement is a density 44 (its essential a foam box that the innersprings sit in. I also acts a sturdy wall for the sides of the bed as well.)
The 1" piece between the innerspring and the latex comfort layer is density 28
The 1 1/4" piece of super soft in the quilt is 18
The innersprings are a pocket coil from Legget and Platt - 14 gauge ( I forgot to ask how many coils)

The conversation was weird, felt uncomfortable asking questions. I think they felt like I was trying to steal their manufacturing proprieties. I asked about the foundation being 7 1/4" in gap between slats, and he said that was the way he was taught 20 years ago, and it has never been a problem so they never changed. He did say he would make me one at 4" gaps no charge if that is what I wanted.

Not sure I understand what the 44, 28, and 18 densities are based on the information I have gathered on this site. I really liked the feel of their mattress, but getting an uncomfortable feeling based on my conversations with them.

Hi ejcrossl,

This isn’t a density number. I’m guessing that it’s the IFD (firmness) of the foam encasement but they should be able to tell you the density.

Again there is no 28 density and I doubt that it’s 2.8 lb polyfoam so this is probably an IFD number as well.

Given that they are giving you the IFD numbers for the other layers this is most likely 18 IFD as well and the density of the super soft polyfoam is probably in a lower density range.

If the gaps are 7 1/4" then there would likely be some type of cardboard over the slats to provide some support in between the slats. The IFD information you received isn’t really necessary because they are “comfort specs” and your body will tell you all you need to know about whether the mattress is soft or firm enough and whether it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP but the “quality specs” are important because they will tell you about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole.

As well as I can piece the information you provided together the mattress you are looking at includes …

2.5" quilting layer which includes 1 1/4" of an unknown density of polyfoam (probably 18 IFD and low density) and another 1" of polyester fiber (which will also be subject to compression) and the 1/4" fire barrier. This could be a weak link in the mattress.

3" of latex This would be a good quality material but I would want to know the type and blend of the latex.

1" of polyfoam of unknown density (but probably an IFD or firmness level of 28 which is a medium firmness)

14 gauge pocket coil with an unknown number of coils and an unknown thickness. While I would want to know the basic information about the coils to make more meaningful comparisons (coil count and gauge) and the thickness so you can make sure you aren’t missing any layers in the mattress … the innerspring isn’t likely to be a weak link in the mattress.

Polyfoam edge support or “surround” that is probably an IFD of 44 but has an unknown density.

The cotton/bamboo blend would be a good quality material if these are the only types of fibers that are included in the fabric blend.

I would be uncomfortable with the information they gave you as well and it sounds like they may not be particularly familiar with the materials they are using or they aren’t willing to tell you the information you would need to make an informed choice. It certainly isn’t the complete specs that I would want to know and that would make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses possible.

Phoenix

Arizona Premium Mattress Company it is. I got the soft all latex model. Ken was great and worked through my schedule issues.
Thank you for all of your input, and this vast source of knowledge.
Just don’t tell my wife I spent more…

Hi ejcrossl,

[quote]Arizona Premium Mattress Company it is. I got the soft all latex model. Ken was great and worked through my schedule issues.
Thank you for all of your input, and this vast source of knowledge.
Just don’t tell my wife I spent more… [/quote]

I promise I won’t tell her!

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Will do!!! I am excited and nervous.
Excited because I can’t stand our current mattress, and really hope this is the comfortable mattress I have been looking forward to for years.
Nervous because if I didn’t pick the right layers, then I still haven’t achieved the goal.
One more night on this awful bed!!!

I’m excited to hear how you like your new bed. We’ve got it narrowed down and Arrizona is one of our top choices.

What are your other choices?
I was down to Dreamfoam, Mattress Factory, and Arizona Mattress

The first night was not as great as I had hoped. It was definitely firmer than the one I tried in the showroom. I had a little bit of a tight back when I woke up in the middle of the night and a sore shoulder/trap area when I tried to sleep on my side. I have the 19 ILD comfort layer and 28 ILD core, but it felt more like a medium firmness.
Does the latex soften up? If so, how long does it take?

Hi ejcrossl,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

Yes … all mattresses (including a latex or latex hybrid mattress) will go through an initial break in period over the course of the first few weeks and it will also take some time for you to adjust to the feel of a different sleeping surface as well so it’s completely normal that a new mattress will feel a little firmer than a mattress you tried in a showroom. There is more about the break in period for a new mattress in post #3 here and in post #2 here.

Phoenix

We are looking at Arizona and Sleep EZ. I have samples from FloBed and while I like the feel of their latex and topper plus the VZone option, I’m not certain it’s worth the extra money.
At this point, I think it comes down to shipping costs and return policy, layer swapping, etc.
Please keep us posted on how things go. I’m a side sleeper as well, and curious as to what you find comfortable. While I know that everyone is different, it’s still nice to hear opinions.
Sleep well!
Amy

Hi AmyPink,

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else with a different body type, sleeping position, or preferences and sensitivities to sleep on (see post #13 here).

Of course reviews or feedback about the knowledge or service at a particular store can certainly be very helpful but when it comes to the specifics of a mattress they won’t provide you with the type of reliable information you will need to make an informed choice about how well you will sleep on a mattress, how long you will sleep well, or the “value” of a mattress purchase compared to all the other options that are available to you either in your area or online. If you “catch yourself” thinking that someone else’s experience on a mattress would be “nice to know” or if you find it is influencing your own choices I would treat it as a red flag and I would be very cautious about how much “weight” you may be putting on other people’s experience … at the possible expense of your own.

Phoenix

I knew you’d get on me for saying that, Phoenix!! :slight_smile:

Hi AmyPink,

You were right :slight_smile:

In many cases though these types of comments are more for the benefit of others who are or will be reading the topic because I suspect that you already know but there are so many people who don’t realize that using reviews or other people’s experience as a way to choose a specific mattress can be more harmful than helpful that I use the opportunities that present themselves on the forum to add one more “note of caution”.

Phoenix

You are so very right.
This page has changed my entire view of the mattress world.
So very, very appreciative.

2nd, triple, quadruple that.

Now if only I could find the equivalent website for cars :slight_smile:

As far as sevice goes, both places treated me wonderfully. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

I know your feelings about air beds Phoenix, but I would be really interested in feeling the flow bed version. the verticle air zones instead of horizontal, as well as mutliples “tubes” seems like a very good alternative to the sleep number approach.
I hope its something I will not ever experience for the next 15-20 years :slight_smile:

Hi ejcrossl,

As you mentioned I’m not a fan of airbeds in general terms for all the reasons mentioned in this article although any mattress may be a good match for a particular person because each person’s needs and preferences and the criteria that are most important to them can be very different.

Having said that … if I was to choose an airbed one of the most important features I would look for is a center zone that can be independently adjusted for firmness to offset the tendency of air to displace and sag under the heavier parts of the body and the Flobeds airbed (and a few others as well) have this feature which I would treat as an “essential” in an airbed.

I hope so too!

Phoenix

So 2 weeks in, and my wife can’t sleep on the mattress anymore. She is complaining of hip pain and shoulder pain. She is sleeping in our guest room on a Ikea, thin, foam mattress.
She isn’t able to say if its too soft or too firm, but her initial impression of the mattress was its too firm.
Can’t get much softer, we have a soft 6" core, and a soft 3" comfort layer. I’d have to assume it’s not firm enough.
So far for me its been ok. Neck pain probably from messing w/ the new shredded latex pillow. Sometimes I have low back ache.
My initial impression was it was much firmer then when I tried it out, but i think it may be relaxing now a bit (or I’m just getting used to it).

Hi ejcrossl,

I don’t know for sure of course but if she is sleeping better on a thin Ikea foam mattress I would also guess that the mattress is too soft rather than too firm. If this is the case then some of the suggestions in post #2 here may be helpful.

The first thing that I would check and rule out as a possible cause of any issues she is having is the support system you have under the mattress and the effect of any mattress protector or mattress pad you are using on top of the mattress.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=52374]Hi ejcrossl,

The first thing that I would check and rule out as a possible cause of any issues she is having is the support system you have under the mattress and the effect of any mattress protector or mattress pad you are using on top of the mattress.

Phoenix[/quote]

We have 3 cross beams under the AZ Prem Mattress Comp foundation. 6" wide for ea one. The mattress protector we used is very thin, no padding, only protection.

Hi ejcrossl,

If your mattress feels the same on the floor as it does on your bedframe/foundation then you can rule out your support system as part of the reason for any comfort/support issues that she is experiencing.

It also sounds like your mattress protector also wouldn’t be an issue.

Phoenix