Foundation/box spring question

OK, new question :cheer: I know from reading previous posts that if I get any mattress, but particularly a foam/latex mattress, I am going to need a new foundation. I went to a couple of online sites recommended here to gander at KD (Knock Down) box springs, and am sort of appalled at the idea of paying $230 for a bunch of wood that I have to assemble myself :S Is that reasonable? To me it’s curious because when I go to my local, knowledgeable mattress seller here in Santa Barbara (Matt Mike’s), they will sell a new queen box spring (presumably a Diamond) for only $126. Even that price tempts me to keep my old box spring, which I think was made during the Depression (but I won’t). Is there such a difference in quality with a KD box spring, or simply the convenience factor of being able to take it apart? And is this a textbook case of the value of shopping locally as opposed to the lure of online sales?

Hi RoboLobo,

Post #2 here talks about the different types of foundations that may be suitable for different types of mattresses. There are no hard and fast “rules” but there are general guidelines that are usually best to follow. The recommendation of the mattress manufacturer or the matching foundation (if there is one) is often if not usually a good idea to include in your purchase.

The foundation thread here also lists many different types of foundations with many links to examples of each.

If you are considering a KD type of foundation with an all latex mattress then the slats should be a maximum of 3" apart (preferably less) and most of them are more than this. For a polyfoam base … then the slats can be further apart because polyfoam isn’t as elastic and is stiffer than latex. Most of the KD foundations are less costly than other slatted foundations that are suitable for a latex or other “all foam” mattress.

Depending on the mattress … “cheaper” foundation you are thinking about may or may not be suitable depending on how it is made or the mattress that is being used on it. In many cases good quality foundations are available locally at good prices but it’s important to know what you are buying because there are also lots of poor quality “junk” foundations available that can cost you more in the end than they will save you.

One of the links in the foundation thread are to a post where one of the members here built their own and provided the design they used and instructions for materials and construction for those who are more interested in a DIY foundation. Good support that is appropriate to the mattress is important though and is a small price to pay for a better performing and longer lasting mattress.

Phoenix