Foundation for a Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 12 in 1?

I’m considering getting 12-in-1 to replace my current innerspring, I’d like to replace the worn out box spring/foundation as well. I was originally going to purchase the Sleep Master SmartBase off of Amazon, but now I’m unsure of which type of foundation I need. I’ve read in some places that this type of bed requires a completely solid foundation such as plywood, while others have said that this isn’t the case. Is there a style that works best for this type of mattress?

Hi ittlysh,

Any mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (bedframe and foundation or platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

There is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here and some of the information and comments in this topic (which would apply to any foam mattress) may be helpful as well.

I would also check with Dreamfoam to make sure that the 12 in 1 customizable is available (see here).

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply! I contacted Dreamfoam and they told me that the 12-in-1 is still available in certain sizes but they don’t know for how long, so I went ahead and ordered one, I’m glad I came across this site before I ordered a foundation since it looks like the one I was considering isn’t really suitable. Thanks for all your help.

Hi ittlysh,

I’m glad that the 12 in 1 customizable was still available in the size you wanted … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedbaack once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix