Foundation for coil/latex mattress

I have been looking at different options for foundation and decided to get some advise. I have ordered this bed and this mattress
Bed does not have a base and meant for box spring. I was wondering foundation at www.mattresses.net with less then 3 inch distance between slats would be a good choice. Futon Shop recommends only surface with slats. In case in the future I’ll decide to go with all latex mattress I’ll have appropriate foundation. Also was wondering if that bamboo cover on the top of foundation is enough. Seems like would allow for mattress to breathe well but there is no cover underneath might create environment for dust to settle. Would appreciate your comments.

Hi vito,

I normally suggest that you follow the recommendation of the manufacturer but if you are in doubt a foundation with slats that are in the range of 2" to 3" apart should be fine for the futon and would be a “safe” choice. Smaller gaps are better. I wouldn’t use slats that are further apart both because the futon may sag into the gaps between the slats over time and because with a thinner mattress you may feel the slats if they are too far apart.

It would probably be fine for most people but if you are allergic to dust mites then it may be an idea to use breathable allergy encasements around both the foundation and the mattress. There is more about dust mites in post #2 here and there is more about allergy encasements in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you so much for advice and providing wealth of information on this topic. This site is a great resource. I was wondering if there is any advantage of going with split king foundation from www.usboxspring.com ? Will it provide better support with my set up?

Hi vito,

They both have gaps that are less than 3" and are made from the same material so either one would be fine in terms of supporting the matttress. The biggest difference between them would be in the covers with SleepEz having an organic cover with a quilted border.

The advantage of using two twin XL’s would be that they can be moved more easily through doors and tighter places without disassembling the foundation.

Phoenix