Foundation Height

Any comments on height of a wood slat foundation for a plush latex mattress? Besides aesthetics in how tall it makes the mattress against the headboard and how much it rises, i.e., how much of it you see, above the side rails, is there any difference in support/comfort or functionality in a lower rise (4-5 inches) versus a more standard height (7-9 inches)? I am considering specifically the 4-inch Ivy Organics Organic Box from PJs Sleep Co. in CA to go under a plush latex mattress from Cozypure (the Hotel Bundle). I have an antique bed with side rails; a 3.75-inch foundation would be flush with the plane of the top of the rails. Cozypure makes only a 5-inch as their low-profile foundation, and the quality of PJs appears higher, assuming the lower height is comparable in function to the higher foundation.

Hi edickenson,

Besides esthetics, the ability to have the sleeping surface at the height you want, or other personal preferences … the height of a foundation makes no difference at all in terms of performance or support.

The most important part (for those who are looking at a rigid slatted foundation) is that the foundation has a strong, rigid, evenly supportive surface with slats that are no more than 3" apart.

The organic foundation at PJ’s is certainly good quality and good value too (excluding any shipping cost that may be involved). There are also other foundation options in the foundation thread here. The Cozy Pure foundation is also good quality and certainly suitable for a latex mattress but as you say it’s taller. If you do end up buying from PJ’s I would make sure you get their organic one rather than the one they also carry which is much lower quality (which Mike S bought the first time before he exchanged it).

Phoenix

Thanks - that is what I thought but just wanted to confirm. And, yes, I read that whole thread from Mike S. on his ordeal in getting a foundation through PJ’s. But his description of what he ended up with - the Ivy Organics (dba Civilized Sleep Solutions) Organic Box foundation - sounded really nice. The Ivy Organics price is $260, and PJ’s quoted me $200 shipping, so the overall price $460 is a little higher than through Cozypure - $395 (incl. $100 credit if purchasing a mattress at the same time; otherwise $495) + 5% sales tax = $415 total (I live in VA). Shipping would be free through Cozypure, and I have been emailing back and forth with Cozypure but they have not responded to my inquiry as to any additional discount being applied for being Mattress Underground member if I purchase the Hotel Bundle and foundation. But PJs has more slats and sounds like it has thicker cotton/wool covering than Cozypure, and it is available at lower heights that would work better for me I think. FYI to the forum, PJ’s quoted me an additional $50 to do a custom height of 3.5 inches (i.e., $310 + shipping for Full).

Hi edickenson,

It’s too bad that shipping on something as heavy as a foundation is so high because the base cost at PJ’s is very good and their options are as well. Either way though you will have a good foundation.

The discounts for The Mattress Underground are on mattresses only although of course any of the manufacturers can decide to offer something extra if they wish.

Thanks for all the feedback on your foundation research :slight_smile:

Phoenix