Foundations for Memory Foam - still trying to figure out!

Problem:
The feeling of dips in mattress, noticed after 2 weeks.

Not sure if it is a foundation problem (or if I am just super sensitive.
…As we previously had a spring mattress with an excellent quality low box spring and I felt dips and also felt the 'solidness of the 2 box foundations- where they came together, made the bed comfortable and non sagging in that area)

It feels like the center is raised up (center/mid beam). I sleep on that part sometimes and it feels better.

Facts:
2 persons sleep on it. 120lbs & 210lbs

Mattress about 5 months old, King size (eastern)
Novaform Primafina king Gel Memoryfoam 14"

Purchased Costco so can return it anytime. I keep a ‘breathable?!’ Water resistant cover as to keep it clean…so that I can return it if need be.

Purchased a second of same mattress, but in queen for spare room.
Have slept on queen. Not sure if there are issues with the queen. Just started to
Notice possible dips. Haven’t slept on it enough to know for sure. Has good foundation/support.

Using IKEA Malm King with Luroy slats

I am considering:

Bed slat support:
http://www.homeplacemall.com/bed-frame-furniture-parts/bed-claw-unibody-adjustable-height-bed-frame-slat-center-support-leg.html
Or
What about adding some more slats for support? I could by another slat system, put in in the areas needed (by cutting the ribbon, and using a few at a time…or maybe scrunching them together…where more support is needed?

Basically, I am thinking that it is me- not the mattress that has the problem, so, I am trying to make solutions that won’t cost an arm and a leg- as one i ‘fix’ my problem, and the problem returns, I will know that it is indeed the mattress.

The wire frames that are offered won’t fit into the low malm bed (we like the look of the low Malm- or we would get rid of it.

I read about the coconut coir bed rug. Probably not supportive enough.

After reading questions and answers: I am not really considering plywood with holes cut into it (but…if I have to?!)
Or a bunkie bed. (Unless I do plywood with holes and a bed rug). We live near the ocean, so moisture (humidity) can be a problem.
I did read the post on building a continuous slatted platform, unfortunately…we are not handy. I have also been searching Internet for something like the guy built and gave instructions on the forum.

Any ideas?!

Hi M.Norman,

[quote]Problem:
The feeling of dips in mattress, noticed after 2 weeks.

Not sure if it is a foundation problem (or if I am just super sensitive.
…As we previously had a spring mattress with an excellent quality low box spring and I felt dips and also felt the 'solidness of the 2 box foundations- where they came together, made the bed comfortable and non sagging in that area)[/quote]

If this was happening after only two weeks then it’s most likely that you chose a mattress that is too soft for you or that your mattress was “on the edge” of being too soft when it was new so even the initial break in period took you over the edge into the “too soft range” (see post #2 here). There are also some suggestions in post #4 here that may be helpful including your suggestion to make sure that your foundation isn’t the cause of any issues you are having (you can check this by putting your mattress on the floor to see if it makes any difference).

I’m not sure what type of foundation you have but a memory foam mattress will do best on a firm non flexing foundation that would provide similar support to having your mattress on a floor.

The Luroy Slats are flexible and aren’t the best choice for a memory foam mattress and could also lead to “virtual impressions” (the impressions you can feel but aren’t visible in the mattress surface when you aren’t on the mattress)

It’s also very likely that your Novaform Primafina uses some lower quality/density materials that would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability so unless you can find out the quality/density of the all the foam layers in your mattress (see this article) then even if the cause of the virtual sagging is your foundation and can be “fixed” I would be very cautious about keeping it when there are so many better quality/value and more durable options available to you.

Phoenix