Fox Mattress Hybrid vs Sleep EZ Natural Layered Dunlop & Talalay

We’re on our forth new mattress in 18 months and REALLY need to get our next purchase right.

We both LOVED our high-end Simmons. It was pocketed inner springs, edge support, pillow-top and NO memory foam. It provided firm but not hard support under a soft and very comfortable pillow-top. Nine years after purchase there were very obvious body impressions, but it was just as comfortable and supportive as the day it was delivered and we fully expected it to last many more years. It was nearly 10 years old when a foster feline used it as a litter box…

I called Simmons, provided label data, asked for the model name(s) of today’s equivalent and with minimal shopping around (we were in the midst of packing to relocate out of state), purchased what was supposed to be comparable. It was not. It was significantly softer than the showroom model, so Sleepys exchanged it.

Because we were packing like crazy, I assumed the low back and pelvic pain I was experiencing was a result of excess physical labor, bending, stooping, lifting, etc. But when we traveled (stressful business travel), after only two nights of sleeping on another bed – a low budget King Koil topped with Dunlop-like latex foam, all pain had subsided.

Latex beds were impossible to find, so we settled on a TempurPedic. Shortly thereafter handsome husband began complaining of major backaches. Months later we purchased a Sealy, which works for HH but it causes pain, numbing and tingling in my arms and legs.

Needless to say, we’ve wasted a LOT of money and really, REALLY need to make the right choice this time. We’re trying to choose between a four-layer LATEX bed from SLEEP EZ and a customized HYBRID bed from FOX.

We sampled four layer LATEX beds by SAVVY REST ($5100) which SLEEP EZ offers for half the cost – but will it feel the same???

FOX MATTRESS MAKERS has assured us they can build a HYBRID (“Quatum” Pocketed Coils topped with Latex) which will feel like our beloved Simmons. The friendly FOX salesperson said “QUATUM POCKETED COILS” are new, but assured us they’re the best choice for our needs. But I can’t find any data about them online. Help!

I’ve read mixed and conflicting reviews regarding longevity and durability of both inner spring and latex mattresses. Both beds we’re considering are priced similarly, and I am hopeful that either will work for both of us, but which would last longer, maintain supportive level, not sag, etc?

All comments welcome. Many thanks!!

=^…^=

Hi Anngelica,

You are fortunate that your Simmons lasted you for 10 years and that certainly isn’t the norm for the mattresses they (or the other major brands) are making today which tend to use lower quality materials in the comfort layers which will tend to soften and/or break down much too quickly after a purchase relative to the price you paid which is the reason I would tend to avoid them completely (see the guidelines here).

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but if the type and blend of the latex layers and the firmness or ILD and thickness of the layers is the same or very close and the cover is also very similar then they would be very similar in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) yes.

There is some information about Quantum Coils on the Leggett & Platt site here but they are a high quality pocket coil that have a narrower diameter than most pocket coils which provides a higher coil count and a more contouring innerspring. Many people who lie on just the innerspring find that they are even comfortable enough to sleep on directly. There is also more about an innerspring/latex hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #13 here and the more detailed information in the posts it links to but all of these are high quality components and there would be no weak links in either of them. The choice between them would really be a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice since the support core of a mattress isn’t generally the weak link of a mattress.

There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here but both of these would make very durable choices.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between different mattresses and there is also more in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them.

You are certainly looking at some great quality choices :slight_smile:

Phoenix