Fox Mattress

I’m coming up on 10 years on my coil mattress. It is definitely time for a new one. First of all I wanted to say thank you for the vast amount of knowledge available on the site as well as the recommendations on where to find quality and value locally.

I have not gone and done any testing yet but so far I am drawn to foam or latex. I am 5’8 and 175 pounds, my girlfriend is 5’1 and about 105. We are both predominantly side sleepers but we both change throughout the night sometimes to back sleeping. I have a few questions, first of all is the stat difference between myself and my girlfriend enough to worry about needing zoning for both of us (I believe thats what its called?) And second of all, I am looking at driving to Fox Mattress from Orlando FL, its about an hour so I may be inclined to pull the trigger this weekend while I’m there; would that be too hasty or can I get a good idea of what works for me in one trip?

Last of all my budget is anywhere up to $2500, not sure if theres any reason to go up that high but ill spend 1/3 of the next ten years in the thing so I can if need be. I can pay cash, but do you happen to know if Fox offers any type of financing? Also any general advice or tips on what may be better to look for based on my stats would be appreciated!

Hi christoph21,

[quote]I have not gone and done any testing yet but so far I am drawn to foam or latex. I am 5’8 and 175 pounds, my girlfriend is 5’1 and about 105. We are both predominantly side sleepers but we both change throughout the night sometimes to back sleeping. I have a few questions, first of all is the stat difference between myself and my girlfriend enough to worry about needing zoning for both of us (I believe thats what its called?)

Also any general advice or tips on what may be better to look for based on my stats would be appreciated! [/quote]

These are the types of questions that are best answered with your own personal testing or experience instead of “theory at a distance” because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use a formula based on specs (either yours or a mattress) to predict which mattress may be best for you and the only meaningful answer would be “it depends” on too many variables to predict with any certainty (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). There is also more about some of the different ways that can help a couple with different needs and preferences find a suitable mattress for both of them in post #2 here but your own experience will always be the most effective way to answer questions about PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

This would also depend on the person and on where you are in what I call the “princess and the pea” to “I can sleep on anything” range. If I was in your shoes I would tend to call them first to help you narrow down your choices to some degree before you go there and when you are there I would also tend to quickly eliminate mattresses that clearly aren’t the best choice for you so you can spend most of your “testing time” on a smaller number of mattresses that are at least the best “candidates”. Sometimes if you test too many mattresses on the same day or too close together the differences between them can begin to “blur” and you can go into sensory overload and lose the ability to differentiate between them.

I also normally suggest that you choose between finalists at a couple of different stores so that if nothing else you will feel better about the choice you ended up making. There is also more information in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you compare your final choices. Having said all that … if you are confident that there is a clear and obvious “winner” between all the mattresses you tested that seems to match all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you and you feel that you don’t need to look any further to find a mattress that is the “best” match for you then making a choice on a single trip to a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer/retailer like Fox Mattress can certainly work out very well.

Your budget is certainly enough to buy a high quality mattress but I don’t know if they offer financing.

Good luck on your visit and I’m looking forward to hearing about your experience :).

Phoenix

Thanks for the super prompt response! I will definitely update when I return. Just as an aside, it’s really nice to find a website like this educating consumers on an important purchase that most make pretty blindly, so thanks for the time and effort.

Hi christoph21,

Thanks for the kind words … and it’s always great to hear that the information here is helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Update:

We drove to Fox Mattress today and ended up purchasing a mostly latex mattress. Its 2 inches of 28 ild natural talalay, 4 inches of 40 ild natural talalay, and a 3 pound foam base layer and we decided on a king. We worked with a guy named Mick and he was helpful and professional, seemed to know his stuff.

Came in at 2000 before shipping and taxes, hoping I did well on price and that it ends up working well for our sleeping needs!

Hi christoph21,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Your mattress certainly has high quality and durable materials and there are no weak links in the design and if your testing indicated that it was a good match for you in terms of PPP then it sounds like you made a great choice.

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix