Frame for SleepEZ latex mattress

I’m thinking of ordering the SleepEZ latex mattress but trying to figure out the foundation. I now have a queen sized headboard, footboard with side rails. There are two pieces of wood slat supports going crosswise to the rails, with a wood foot support screwed on in the middle of each. I am doubting if this situation is the best as those little “feet” are wobbly. I want to keep the queen headboard, and maybe get a metal frame with the SleepEZ wooden platform with cross rails, and pitch my footboard and rails. I sleep alone so a full size would be fine, and save me some money. Does this sound like a good idea and what frame would you recommend to use with the SleepEZ wood foundation, where I could attach my queen headboard. I am elderly, but handy and can put this together myself, but want to make life a little simpler - but I want to do it right - please help!

Hi suema,

A wooden bedframe should have at least 5 hardwood cross slats and good center support to the floor to provide suitable structural support for a foundation so I don’t think your current setup would be suitable.

There are some guidelines for choosing a steel bedframe in post #10 here and if you wish to use a queen size headboard with a full size bedframe and your headboard is a bolt on style and doesn’t already have holes for a full size bedframe then you will just need a steel modi plate like this or like this.

Phoenix

What if I decide to keep the queen headboard, footboard and rails. How do those SleepEZ wood foundations work in this situation? Do I get more slats and secure the middle supports better? Does the latex mattress go on top of the slats, or do I need one of the SleepEZ wood foundations? Or can I remove the slats and put the wood foundation on the floor inside the bed (providing it fits inside)? This issue seems more difficult than deciding on the mattress! I can’t figure this out. Thanks for your help.

Hi suema,

The SleepEZ foundation would need a suitable bedframe underneath it so you would either need to use a steel bedframe inside your headboard and foorboard and siderails (and remove the slats on top) to support the foundation or you would need to add enough slats and good center support to your bedframe to be able to support the foundation and the mattress. If you do decide to modify your bedframe to be able to support a foundation and your mattress then some of the suggestions in post #5 here may be helpful.

There is more information about suitable support systems for a latex mattress in the foundation post here but if you decided to turn your your current bedframe into a platform bed that can be used directly under a latex mattress without a foundation to support the latex mattress directly then you would need to add enough slats (again with good center support) so that they could support the mattress directly without a foundation and to make sure that the distance between the slats was no more than 3".

Phoenix