FRAMEWORK NEEDED: thickness versus weight versus layers

before I ask the question, assume EVERYTHING ELSE EQUAL AND PERSONALIZED TO AN INDIVIDUAL TASTE…

are there any sort of conclusions I can make about a mattress given

1. of layers

2. total sum of layers summed weight and summed thickness

and most interestingly…
3) weight versus thickness? what is the trade-off here of some of the differences below to serve as a talking point of where weight and thickness have different impacts on what i should prioritize…

Comfort Layers: 3" blended Talalay latex
Support Layers: 7" 1.9 lb Polyfoam

Comfort Layers: Medium – 3" 2.8 lb. Energex polyfoam, 1" 2.0 lb convoluted polyfoam. Luxury Firm – 2" 2.8 lb Energex polyfoam.
Support Layers: Medium – 6" 1.8 lb polyfoam. Luxury Firm – 8" 1.8 lb. polyfoam.

Comfort Layers: 2" of 3.7-5 lb airflow or gel memory foam (varies by firmness), 2" of 4-5 lb memory foam (varies by firmness).
Support Layers: 7" 1.8 lb Polyfoam

Comfort Layers: 1.0" 4.0 lb Graphite memory foam, 1.5" 3 lb high performance polyfoam, 1.0" 3 lb (slightly firmer) high performance polyfoam
Support Layers: 5.5" 1.8 lb polyfoam

Comfort Layers: 2" Helix Dynamic Foam (HD polyfoam) in one of three different firmness levels, 2.4" microcoil, 2.0" 1.8 lb polyfoam in one of three different firmness levels. The firmness of the polyfoam and the order of the comfort layers is customized for each person
Support Layers: 4.0" 1.8 lb polyfoam

Hi ducksmack,

I’ll do my best to answer your question, as I’m not exactly clear what you’re asking.

Regarding thickness (the number of layers I know is not the same as overall thickness), the thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here.

Regarding weight (I’m assuming you mean the total weight of the mattress), this again would simply be the sum of all of the materials within the mattress and wouldn’t have any particular determination upon the quality of a finished mattress or a way to rate a mattress. The density of polyfoam and memory foam layers will be related to durability, with the higher density being the more durable. For latex is will be more related to layer plushness.

The number of layers is also a byproduct of the mattress design, and like the other specifications you’ve listed, isn’t particularly meaningful.

This is much too broad of a question and there is no algorithm taking this data into account to provide any meaningful or accurate information as to mattress quality or as a way to rank/rate a mattress.

For the reasons I listed above, neither of these measurements are particularly meaningful, unless you are trying to keep a mattress within a certain weight range for personal reasons or a specific application. Otherwise, these are not measurements of quality in a finished product, as there are far too many variables involved with the particular layers within a mattress to make any generalized statements. Analyzing the quality of the individual layers within a mattress is what you’d look at, and then the combinations (thicknesses, number of layers, ILDs, combination of componentry…) combined to produce a comfort that someone was trying to achieve would have as its by product a certain weight and thickness depending upon those choices made.

Phoenix