frustrated with size of a split king.

I am looking to purchase a mattress for my new husband and I. We are in our late middle age and wanted to get a mechanical bed frame. I am really hesitant though because the bed seems so much smaller when the beds are split. We would each be sleeping on a twin. I just can’t imagine my honey being happy with that. He takes up 2/3 of our queen easily and he is a roller. There I times when I am hanging on the side of the bed ready to roll off. Smiling as I am writing this but it is not too much fun at night. I lived in Japan for 20 years and they have a semi double size which is a in between size of the twin and a double. It would be perfect and I wish they made them here. Anyone else feel the same way about the divided kings? I have been looking for a mattress for about a month and been thinking about buying latex components and putting a mattresses together myself. I am waiting for samples from Phoenix. I have been in so many stores lately and am so tired of the games they play. Today I thought I found a great mattress and of course came home and checked it out on line only to find horrible reviews. Last weekend I though I found a great deal on a Justice Mattress out of Missouri. Supposedly the owner is letting his sons take over his business and selling everything half price just to get what he can out of his investment. Well we placed the order but it will not be ordered until we get into our new house. So I did some checking just to make sure this was truly the deal they said it was at $2800. I called three stores and their normal prices were $2300, $2500 and $2800. Needless to say this order will be cancelled and I am upset. I will be reported them to the BBB. So much dishonesty out there. It sure makes getting a new mattress and tiresome chore.

Hi happyelmo,

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic).

There is some information here about mattress sizes in different areas of the world and the closest size to this would be a “small double or three quarter size” which would be very difficult to find but a custom manufacturer will often make custom sizes in any dimensions that you wish.

You can see some comments about the pros and cons of a split king mattresses (two twin XL mattresses placed side by side) vs a single king size mattress in post #8 here and in this topic.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP as a reference point (the same type and blend of latex in the same thickness and firmness levels and a very similar cover which can also make a significant difference to the feel and performance of a mattress) or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

I completely agree that the industry as a whole has a lot of room for improvement but the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Phoenix

I know going with special sizes can be costly. Have thought about getting two Full XLs and putting them side by side. It would be heaven but take up most of the room. I was thinking of doing my mattress exclusively on the Phoenix site using components(the dunlop base and 2 3" Taylalay toppers. . Also I did like Christeli with the edge support as well as the #Best Mattress Ever which is a good value. I am a bit concerned about moisture build up in the foam though and my better half is 225pds so I wonder if this foam as enough support… Also I wondered what you thought about the Pinnacle Point by Justice? It comes in two versions a cool memory foam and a latex version. It is hard to find stats on their product lines. From what I did find out they seem to have a good reputation. It is a very thick mattress with one layer of springs though so I don’t know if it would be good with an electric bed base. The sales people said it would be fine but I am still doubtful. They said the king size not divided weighs about 400 pounds.

Hi happyelmo,

It’s not likely that you would have an issue with moisture buildup with either mattress even on a solid surface adjustable bed unless there are other risk factors involved (see post #10 here)

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and individual preferences and sensitivities involved to be able to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict how a combination of layers will feel to you or to make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or personal sleeping experience … hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The relationship between firmness and support or alignment is often misunderstood and many people believe that firmer is “more supportive” which isn’t always the case. A mattress that is too firm for a particular body type and sleeping position will provide poor support under the more recessed parts of the body and a mattress that is too soft for a particular body type and sleeping position will provide poor support under other the heavier and more “protruding” parts of the body. One of the two main functions of a mattress is to keep you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions (the other it to provide good pressure relief in all your sleeping positions) and this needs a combination of good primary support under the heavier parts of the body and good secondary support under the more recessed parts of the sleeping profile.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

Christeli makes memory foam mattresses and Brooklyn Bedding’s #BestMattressEver is a latex hybrid mattress and these are very different types of mattresses. You can read more about the pros and cons of latex vs memory foam in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of material you would tend to prefer would be based on your own local testing on a range of memory foam and latex mattresses.

You can see the foam quality/durability guidelines that I would suggest in post #4 here and both Brooklyn Bedding’s #BestMattressEver and Christeli use good quality materials in their mattresses that would be suitable for his weight range and there would be no weak links in terms of durability in either of them.

I don’t have any personal experience with either of these mattresses so I really can’t make any meaningful comments about how they would feel or perform for me much less to someone else that may have a very different experience on the same mattress.

Outside of PPP though … the most important part of the value of a mattress is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. If you can find out the information listed here about any mattress you are considering and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress or the mattress as a whole.

In general terms most foam mattresses (memory foam, latex foam, polyfoam) that aren’t more than about 12" thick and most pocket coil mattresses will work well on an adjustable bed and there are also some specialized linked coil mattresses that are specially made to bend at certain articulation points that can work as well but the most reliable source of information about whether any specific mattress would be a suitable choice for an adjustable bed will be a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or the manufacturer that makes the mattress.

The previous post I linked in my last reply has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can also help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix