Frustration

Small rant

Frustrated with the local options. I am in search of full latex mattress in GTA area, and I already checked all the vendors that are listed in one of the threads (https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/factory-direct-mattresses-in-the-toronto-on-and-gta-area) and my frustration had arisen.

Based on the preliminary web screening I visited 3 places and called another 3 that looked the most promising.
What I found was that most places (5 of 6) were pushing to buy foam/latex hybrid. With the excuses of that full latex is too heavy or to soft, 0_o. Does not sound right to me. Pretty much all sounded quite disinterested, like they were making me a favour of a sort. We are talking of ~$3000 mattress not a chepo $500 ffs. Some more engagement from factory direct places would be nice. Only 3 (2 and a half) places offered an option to try different layers and combinations. Others said that they will build any custom but they cant arrange to try it first.
The lack of Talalay Latex across the board is frustrating.
Only place that was ok, is Dormio but they dont have their own factory and run 3 physical locations - hence their prices reflect that. I would also prefer to buy from local manufacturer rather than an unknow place.

After trying bunch of Mattresses and seeing how small changes can affect the feel and presure relife I am even less inclined to buy online or a ā€œsimplified choiceā€ one.

I am really frustrated at this pointed. So many choices on paper and so little of full latex in real life with most places being somewhat disinterested and at times it felt I had to really push to get any real numbers. Few did not even know what I was talking about.
At some point I felt like going to sleep country and buy another $1000 s** - definitely less frustrating option. And I know what I am getting (crap).

Anywho, rant over.

As someone who had absolutely NO local options for a latex mattress, I can understand your frustration. I recently ended up purchasing from Dormio without having the benefit of visiting one of their showrooms. They are as local as I can get, yet the closest one is still a dayā€™s drive away.

The service has been great from the start (and itā€™s all been through email, in large part due to my schedule). Responses were quick and all my questions have been answered to my satisfaction. Most importantly, itā€™s been about a month since my mattress and foundation arrived and I am REALLY enjoying my new bed!

Dormio is pricey, no doubt about that, but they seem to have quality products. They did apply The Mattress Underground discount to my order (on top of the mattress sale price). They are not at the top of the price spectrum either ā€¦ when I was researching in the late spring, Sleeptek and Obasan mattresses seemed to be significantly more costly.

Also, if Iā€™m not mistaken, Dormioā€™s mattresses are all assembled / made in Canada by Sleeptek (who also makes Obasan mattresses I think). The latex itself obviously has to be sourced outside of Canada. (It is my understanding that Dormio only uses 100% organic dunlop latex, so that doesnā€™t help with your tallalay dilemma.)

Although I didnā€™t look into it myself, being in the GTA you can likely find a less costly foundation for your mattress. (If Iā€™m being honest, I had a bit more sticker shock at the foundation price than I did the mattress itself.) In terms of pillows / sheets / mattress protectors etc. there are also comparable yet less costly options out there.)

Hope this info is somewhat helpful ā€¦ good luck in your mattress search!

Hi qazy,

Iā€™m sorry that youā€™re finding frustrating finding what you desire in your area, but unfortunately thereā€™s not too much I can do about that. :frowning: There is a list of some of the online options for Canadians here, some of which do offer all-latex configurations and many offer good exchange/return policies.

Latex foam pouring facilities rarely produce their own mattresses. Most companies offering latex mattresses have them assembled for them by a licensee or others choose to assemble on their own. Depending upon the scale and distribution arrangements, it can be more affordable to have a licensee assemble the product to specification than to maintain your own assembly facility, and that would not be the main determinant of the pricing Dormio offers. Dormio does have their products assembled by two locations in Canada, and their latex is sourced from Arpico in Sri Lanka

ADDED: You may also wish to look at Southwest Ontario, starting with Hamilton. While a bit of a drive over the border, the Buffalo area has many stores offering Talalay latex mattresses. Soma Sleep shows they have Talalay latex offerings in Toronto - I donā€™t know if you visited there.

Phoenix

Is it a good place for Latex origin?

I will take a look at SouthWestern Ontario, but I doubt it will work. There is so little free time :frowning:

Hi qazy,

This is the part of the world where the climate is appropriate for the growth of the hevea brasiliensis tree.

If your schedule is such that you canā€™t travel that distance and you are unable to find anything locally that you prefer, it may be more convenient for you to choose something online with a good return/exchange policy.

Phoenix