Futon with Latex Topper

Hello,

I’m looking to buy an all natural mattress to avoid off-gassing and sleeping on chemicals. I can’t afford one of the branded organic mattresses or an all latex mattress.

The latex/foam combination mattress are in my price range, but I don’t want to sleep on synthetic foam. Does anyone know about the soy poly blends used in the Sleepez, Dreamfoam or Brooklyn Bedding mattresses? Is the foam better because it’s got soy in it, or is it just the same old polyurethane?

My other idea is to buy an all natural futon mattress from white lotus - just the plain cotton and wool one, without any foam, and then put a 3" latex topper on it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I’ve slept comfortably on traditional futon mattresses before, but I want something that feels a bit more cushy and luxurious, so I’m thinking I might get a good combo of firmness with some soft give at the top with the futon/latex topper combo. I’d be interested to hear your feedback.

Thanks!
Bhairavi

Hi Bhairavi,

Whenever you buy a mattress / topper combination (or a futon/topper) you are adding a level of uncertainty to your purchase because choosing the most suitable topper for a specific mattress or futon can be almost as difficult as buying a mattress when you can’t test the specific combination in person. The topper that works best for you will depend on the specifics of the futon, your body type, your sleeping positions, and your own preferences. While it can be a good option “in theory” … in practice it would depend on how well the combination works for your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and choosing the best topper for you may take some trial and error.

You may also want to assess some of your basic assumptions about what materials you consider to be “safe” and which aren’t so you aren’t being unduly influenced by some of the misleading information that is common around the web. I’m not sure if you are more sensitive to some chemicals than most people due to a medical condition such as MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) and need to avoid polyfoam in all your furniture or other materials in your home that most people would be fine with or whether it’s just a matter that you prefer more natural or organic materials as a personal preference. There is much more information about organic, natural, and “safe” materials in post #2 here and the links it includes that may help you sort out some of the complex and confusing and often contradictory information that can help you answer the question of “how safe is safe enough for me?” if it’s more a matter of your concern about the safety of some materials rather than how natural or organic they may be. There is no definitive answer to this question except based on your own preferences and circumstances. There are many synthetic or less natural materials that are just as “safe” as natural or organic materials and have been tested for VOC’s using the same testing methods as natural or organic materials.

You can read more about so called “soy based” foams or other “plant based” foams in post #2 here. They replace a small percentage of the polyols that are made from petrochemicals with a chemical polyol that is derived from a plant oil. They are basically just polyfoam and in terms of quality can be compared directly with other types of polyfoam based on their density.

I haven’t tried this in person but many have and for some it will work well and for others it won’t depending on the specifics of the futon’s materials and construction and the topper they choose in terms of the type of latex and the thickness and firmness of the topper. Natural fibers would generally be be a firmer and less resilient and responsive support system than either foam or innerspring support systems … especially as they compress over time … and wool will generally be more resilient than cotton and more costly. You may need to use some trial and error so that the topper you choose is a good match for your body type and sleeping positions with the futon you choose. It would need to be “just enough” in terms of thickness and firmness that it would isolate you from the firmness of the futon in your most pressure prone sleeping position. Different futons would be firmer or softer depending on their construction and materials so each futon design may need a different topper. Either way it will have a very different feel from more resilient support systems. The topper guidelines in post #8 here may help you use your sleeping experience on a futon by itself as a guideline for choosing a topper. The “best” option would be to test the specific combination you are considering in person.

It would be less “risky” to either choose a sleeping system that you can test in person and doesn’t need additional layers or components to make it “right” or to use a design for a mattress or sleeping system that has good options to make changes or replace layers (or a topper) after a purchase if you don’t have the chance to test it first and your choice turns out to be less suitable than you hoped.

If you choose the right combination it can work well … but the “trick” is to choose the right topper for the mattress/futon you are using and that is the best match for your unique needs and preferences.

Phoenix

I’m considering buying a white lotus futon and getting the latex topper separately myself. I’ve been ordering samples from white lotus, but so far their customer service is not great, they either send me the wrong thing or don’t send anything at all. If I ever manage to get a sample of the right mattress and latex topper I will try it out and let you know what it’s like!

Hi Bhairavi,

If you like the feel of a traditional futon, but want some more luxury, you also might also consider a futon model with a latex core, covered with cotton and wool (provided it meets your testing criteria/PPP, as Phoenix mentioned). Those are really nice, as they have that firm, “natural” futon feel, but with some added resilience and softness because of the latex inside. I have one with a 3 inch dunlop core from Soaring Heart which I use a daybed/guest bed, and for frequent naps. White Lotus also has a cotton/wool/latex futon with a similar design, as well as a few other places. I ended up choosing to buy from Soaring Heart due to the quality of their long staple cotton, but it’s not the most economical.

Having the latex core in the futon causes fewer body impressions, which is an issue with futons made of just natural fibers. I still have to flip and rotate mine very often to prevent impressions, though.

The idea of just a cotton/wool futon with an added latex topper also sounds nice, but it is often so much harder to get the right topper/mattress combination when you buy separately! Best of luck to you.

@eevee188
It’s true, the customer service at White Lotus leaves something to be desired, even though they seem to have great products. I’m also interested to hear what you think, if you do get the samples! Back when I was researching cotton/wool futons, I was really impressed by the prices and customer service from Small Wonders Futons, although I didn’t end up buying…you might want to check them out.

Hi eevee188, Bhairavi, and Dalia,

@ Dahlia

Thanks for the great comments … like you I would tend to choose a more resilient core for a futon (although of course each person may have their own preferences). Thanks for the suggestions about Small Wonders (I didn’t know about them) and Soaring Heart futons as well.

There are also some futon sources in post #2 here and I’ve added White Lotus, Small Wonders, and Soaring Heart to the list.

@ eevee188,

I hope you get the samples you wanted. White Lotus has some interesting materials and products and I’m sorry to hear their service isn’t as good as it could be.

Phoenix

@eevee188:

I noticed mention of Seattle. If that’s close to your area, I have heard great things about Blue Heron Futons in Olympia. Good quality and exceptional prices:

Thanks eevee18, Dahlia and Phoenix for your really helpful replies.

I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed by the whole decision at this point. I’ll either go with the futon/latex topper combo or just spend more money for an all latex mattress. Not sure at this point, I’ll do some more research and see what I decide.

Thanks again for your help!
B