Gardner Mattress: hybrid with pocked coils, 2 or 3 inch latex and memory foam?

Does anyone know about this hybrid at Gardner mattress with pocket coils, latex and memory foam? It’s not a pillow top ,it’s not cool gel. Is there really a difference with cool gel. Gardener says they don’t use cool gel because its a gimmick? Any advice?

Hi alyoops,

I switched your other post to this same thread to make it easier for me to follow your posts with all the context without having to switch back and forth between threads.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience even though it may in fact have been from sitting on the loading dock or other reasons that could cause the mattress to be “distorted” … I agree with you that the comments you overheard would have put me off as well. While I don’t think this is the norm for most companies … I certainly understand your desire to deal with someone else. If this really was the “perfect” mattress for you it may be worth talking with them about your experience and see what they have to say and you may have just caught him on a bad day but I also understand that this may not be your preference in which case it’s time to move on to something else.

Your own careful and objective testing following the testing guidelines is the best way to tell whether the mattress is suitable for your needs and preferences in terms of what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Latex is the most durable mattress foam material available and doesn’t have the softening and sagging issues of other types of foam that are lower quality and less durable. A mattress tends to soften and/or break down from the top down and using higher quality materials in the comfort layers of your mattress is the best way to prevent the types of issues that are so common with many of the mainstream mattresses that are sold today that use much lower quality foam in the upper layers of the mattress. It’s not the thickness or design of the mattress that causes softening or sagging as much as the quality and durability of the material that is used. No matter which manufacturer makes this type of mattress … latex is a durable choice (although it’s also more costly than other types of materials).

Of course it’s also very different in terms of its feel and response than memory foam and the choice of materials is a matter of personal preference. All materials have lower and higher quality versions. Latex also comes in a wide range of firmness levels from ultra soft to very firm.

Again you can test each mattress for it’s suitability in terms of PPP but it’s always the quality of the materials that play the most important role in the useful life of a mattress. There are many different types of gel materials in the market and they can be very different from each other so it’s not just one material but dozens. Some have more benefits than others. Post #2 here and the many links it includes has much more information about the pros and cons of the many different types of gel foams that are currently available. Like all materials they have pros and cons although much of the marketing connected to them is exaggerated in the current market.

Phoenix

Oh no,…It was not from Boston Bed Company that I had this last purchase…I was polite not to name the company though… I had looked at two mattresses at Boston Brd, but was not so sure about them…

Thanks again for your advice… I’m leaning towards the 3 inch latex on the coiled pockets from Gardner.

I don’t want anyone to think I had a bad experience at Boston Bedding… It wasn’t them. It was a totally different company .

Hi alyoops,

OK … I’ve edited the post to take out their name. I thought that’s who it was based on your previous posts. thanks for the heads up.

Phoenix