Gel Mattress Recommendation

Hello,
I’m trying to decide on a gel mattress to buy but can’t really decide. I’m weary of spending so much on a mattress in general, but I’ve only been able to try the Technogel.

I found the Technogel to be superior to other memory foam mattresses I’ve tried so far, but again, that’s in a store for like 5 minutes. Any recommendations on my choices below? Or something completely different?

Technogel Armonia - $3899
Evo Sleep Bio Gel Lux Firm - $2499
Ikea Sultan Fjordgard + Pure-Sleep Gel Memory Foam Topper $749 + $499 = $1248

Hi calvin,

The technogel mattresses uses a very dense pure elastomeric gel material which is much denser and more expensive than gel memory foam (see post #2 here for some information about the different types of gel materials) but the rest of the components are just as important and the only way to make meaningful comparisons are based on all the materials in the mattress.

In order to make meaning comparisons between the Evosleep and the Armonia you would need to list the specs they gave you for each one (I don’t have either one). Without knowing the specs there is really no way to make any quality or value comparisons other than by how they feel when you lie on them.

I do have the Technogel specs for the Estasi and the Piacere which are as follows which will give you a sense of the quality and relative value of some of the materials they use in their other mattresses. As you can see the gel is very dense if the listed density is correct.

Estasi Total thickness: 12"

Comfort layer:
1" Technogel® - density 64 lbs/ft

Support system construction:
1.2" Topper foam - density 1.31 lbs/ft - IFD 60 N (at 25%)
2.5" Soft foam - density 2.45 lbs/ft - IFD 55 N (at 25%)
7.3" Core foam - density 1.85 lbs/ft - IFD 110 N (at 25%)

Textiles:
• Jersey fre sock
• Quilted cover:
86.8% Polyester,
13.2% Rayon
450 g/m2

Piacere Total thickness: 10"
Comfort layer:
1" Technogel® - density 64 lbs/ft (not full surface)

Support system construction:
1" Topper foam - density 1.31 lbs/ft - IFD 60 N (at 25%)
2.5" Soft foam - density 2.45 lbs/ft - IFD 55 N (at 25%)
5.3" Core foam - density 1.85 lbs/ft - IFD 110 N (at 25%)

Textiles:
• Jersey fre sock
• Quilted cover:
86.8% Polyester,
13.2% Rayon
450 g/m2

You can see my general thoughts about the Technogel mattresses in post #2 here. As you can see I would have a difficult time justifying the cost of these where only a thin layer is the very costly gel unless there was a particularly compelling reason to believe that any other mattress just wouldn’t do. I would also want to know all the details of the Armonia layering besides the 1/2 inch gel layer inset in polyfoam and the talalay latex and that there wasn’t any other materials in the layering (or at least I would want to know what they were). Even if it was all latex except for the top gel / polyfoam layer … considering there is only 1/2" of gel and that at best the rest is latex (@ 9" or less) it would also be hard for me to justify the price of this one as well unless “comfort at any price” was the goal and personal testing confirmed that it was unlike any other options available to me.

The Evosleep also has a similar gel although I believe it’s only 3/4" and I don’t know the density in their case but overall and in the absence of any specs … I would guess that the Evosleep would likely be better “value”.

You can see my thoughts about the Sultan Fjordgard in post #3 here. I personally would choose the Ultimate Dreams which is the same price, has 3" of a higher quality latex which can be customized for firmness and has a higher density polyfoam bse layer as well.

The Pure Sleep HR polyfoam/gel topper lineup is a good quality topper and the gel works out to be 5.4 lbs / ft3 which is lower than the Technogel. I have a hard time imagining that the Technogel is really 64 lbs/ft3 and I keep thinking that there should be a decimal point in the middle but I don’t know this for sure. If it was it would be the densest material I know of that was used in a mattress. A 1" layer in a queen size would weigh 178 lbs which I find somewhat hard to believe. I think you may have the price wrong though for a king unless you have a source that is a lower cost than I’m aware of.

Overall though … I think a good quality latex/polyfoam hybrid with the Pure sleep gel topper would be the best value of the three but of course I have no idea how it would feel and perform in use because I don’t have any personal experience with it and there are some missing pieces of information about all the gels that each of these uses.

If you are committed to using gel materials then there is one other one that I’m aware of which is some of the Kingsdown Blutek line like the Glacier which uses 1.5" of gel they don’t list the density of the gel or the other layers in the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
thanks for your very detailed reply to the post.

You’re right about the density of the foam. Its not 64lb/ft since the website says its only total 48 lbs of gel on the king.

• 1/2" thick Technogel layer with tower design over entire surface (which is not true, its only 3/4 of the entire surface)
  • Talalay latex core
  • 40 lbs of body conforming Technogel on queen (48 lbs on king)

I think I’m going to try out the evogel before I make a decision. I can deal with $2500 (cheaper without the base) vs $3899 (from healthy back - http://www.healthyback.com/products/Technogel/Armonia-by-technogel/1275)

I’m too weary of trying a latex base and a gel topper. I have a memory foam topper on my latex mattress now, and its way too hot and too plush. It’s just too difficult IMO to match up the densities to provide the right amount of plush and then support when you’re buying to separate pieces; but that could be my inexperience.