General Questions - and Seeking Recommendation Foam vs Coil vs Latex

OK, Great! Truly thank you. You do good work here. I will update to share my experience with Select Foam. Hopefully all goes well.

PS a tip about Select Foam. If you call them, they are willing to work out a better deal for you. When I called yesterday I was able to get a better price than what is advertised online :slight_smile:

Hi Phoenix,
I am back to give you my report on My Quality Sleep/Green Mattress. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with their customer service. The owner was not there (Saturday), and the sales woman was not knowledgeable at all about the pound densities used, whether the gel was beads/infused/particle, and didn’t ask us questions about how we sleep, etc. to help find the best mattress in the store.

I was surprised to find out they don’t really have all memory foam mattresses, but instead they are memory foam/latex mixed, and my husband and I don’t like the bouncy feeling we get from latex. We laid on all of the mattresses they had that were “memory foam” type in the store (only 3), plus some other innerspring ones just to make sure we gave them all a fair run. My husband was okay with one of the innerspring ones with a mem foam topper, but it still really bothered my hip pressure point, so unfortunately we didn’t find anything we liked. The sales woman suggested I call and talk to the owner during the week and he could ‘custom make’ a mattress based on my preferences, but I’m not going to buy a mattress I can’t try first.

So, we high-tailed it back to Verlo in McHenry where the owner was in the store, and he was very knowledgeable (he mentioned the gel/mem foam layer in the Kodiak is not beads b/c they found that the beads will deconstruct over time). We ended up purchasing the Sitka mattress which is 3" Gel Foam and 2" Mem Foam on top of the Acella layer. The mattress comes tomorrow! Thanks for all your advice!

Hi ldude916,

I’m quite surprised to hear about your experience. Perhaps the person in the store when you were there was new or wasn’t as well trained as most because most of the forum comments and my own conversations with them show that they are generally very knowledgeable and “expert” in the materials in their mattresses and in their level or customer service as well.

It is not unusual at all for many smaller manufacturers across the country to offer a more limited range of memory foam mattresses or to layer it in ways that offsets some of the risks of using memory foam in thicker layers in a mattress. Because they deal directly with the public and are directly accountable for the long term performance of their mattresses, more than most they are often quite wary of memory foam because they have to deal directly with any returns or softening and there is no intermediary between them and their customers. It’s more tricky in other words to “get right” in ways that account for long term performance. While of course they can make any mattress they want … there are many (but by no means all) who choose to go primarily with faster response materials.

In any case, the most important thing is that you made a good choice and did good research and as I’ve mentioned on many occasions it’s always great to see when people are making choices between “good and good” instead of “good and bad” or even worse “unknown and unknown”.

So congratulations on your new mattress … you did well :slight_smile:

Phoenix