Getting closer to a decsion

I’m getting closer to decision…and have learned more about mattresses than I ever wished, My wife says I’m a back/side sleepr (6’3". 200 lbs 51 years old) and she is a stomach/side sleeper (5’ 2". 105 lb 41 years old). What would you think would be a better option for her ?

Original Mattress Factory medium comfort Serenity Latex
Original Matress Factory Serenity Memory Serenity Foam Plush
Original Matress Factory Serenity Memory Foam ( Firm)
Or another trip to Country Bedding in Apple Creek and try to convince them to make a latex/foam or a latex/latex matress …they only currently make a latex/inner spring which I’m not interested in. Since they make a memory foam bed I know they have experience with a foam core,

Thoughts ? And we have laid on the OMF beds and are having trouble deciding. :woohoo:

And any thoughts on latex vs memory foam pillows …

Hi BGfalcon,

You are certainly looking at some good quality and value options but most of your choices will come down to preference issues or a matter of which one is a better match for you in terms of PPP.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

The choice between memory foam and latex is a preference choice that only you can decide (just like any preference) but there is more in post #2 here that along with your own experience may be helpful.

Your own testing and personal experience is the only way to know which of the choices you are considering is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

In terms of durability … all of the OMF options you are considering use high quality materials and there are no weak links in any of them but I would give the durability edge to a two sided latex hybrid over a one sided memory foam mattress.

I can’t make any meaningful comments about any of the Country Bedding choices unless I know the specifics of the mattress that you are considering there (or that they would build for you).

The first step in getting down to a single finalist at OMF (step 4 in the tutorial post) would be to choose between memory foam and latex. If your preference is latex then your finalist at OMF would be the two sided latex mattress that they offer (assuming that you are confident that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP based on your testing).

If your preference is memory foam then the choice between the two memory foam mattresses at OMF would be primarily a matter of which one of the two your testing indicates is the best match for you in terms of PPP. If you really can’t tell the difference between them (which would be unusual because they have a different firmness level) and you are confident that either one would be a good match for you then I would choose the firmer of the two because you can always make a mattress that is too firm softer by adding a topper but it’s much more difficult to make a mattress that is too soft any firmer without removing and replacing the layers that are too soft (or exchanging for the firmer mattress).

I would follow a similar process with the mattresses at Country Bedding to narrow your finalist there down to one that you are confident is a good match for you in terms of PPP and that you have confirmed uses high quality materials and has no weak links in the design.

Once you are down to a single finalist at both then you will be comparing “good vs good” and you will be in a good position to make a final choice between them (see post #2 here) based on all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

BGFalcon – you and I seem to be looking at the same things! OMF Serenity mattresses were on the top of my list, but as I keep going back and trying them, they’re just not quite perfect. I think the plush is too soft, and the firm might be just a tad too firm. That latex is closer in terms of getting the alignment, but I find it a bit “bouncy.” I do like having a bit of foam (either memory foam or soft polyfoam) with the latex. I also checked out Country Bedding in Apple Creek and found that the gel foam was too soft, and while the 5# foam felt good, it seemed like it needed some edge support. And, as you noted, their latex offerings are over innersprings. I was also wondering if they might make a combination latex/memory foam mattress, so if you talk to them, I’d be curious as to what you find out.

There may be another option you can check out. In my exploration, I’ve found myself leaning toward a latex/foam or latex/memory foam combination, similar to what you’re talking about. If you’re considering the same and are in northeast Ohio (I don’t remember exactly where you are but it seems you may not be too far from Cleveland?), you might consider making a trek out to Boardman (near Youngstown) and checking out Dutch Craft Furnishings in the Valley Marketplace there. (The owners used to own JB Furniture in Burton, but are closing that store.) They carry Dutch Craft mattresses, and have a couple that include latex that I’m considering. One is the Eden mattress, which is soft poly foam over latex with a polyfoam core. The other is Dr. J’s Spinal Health Series Serene mattress, also manufactured by Dutch Craft (which is the one I’m leaning toward), which is gel memory foam over latex with a polyfoam core.

These are the specs on the Eden that I got from Eli Schmucker, who manufactures the mattresses:

Eden (from the Dutch Craft Paradise Collection):
1 inch hD foam and 1 in super soft foam in the quilting (2" total)
3 inches soft talalay latex (19 ILD)
2 inches firm talalay latex (30 ILD)
7 inches preserve hr bio based foam core (1.8 lb, 31 ILD)
12 year non prorated warranty

These are the specs on the Dr. J Serene that he provided for me:

Dr J’s Spinal Health Series Serene:
2 inches chiropractic cool gel (4 lb gel infused Preserve memory foam, 12 ILD)
3 inches react natural talalay latex (19 ILD)
7 inches hD soy based support (2.3 lb, 30 ILD)
20 year warranty

I would say that the Eden feels similar to the OMF Serene line – the feel is somewhere in between the firm and the plush memory foam, with some of the “spring” of the latex version. The top layers of foam are integrated into the quilted cover. The Dr. J Serene has a flatter top, with a bit squishier top layer (due to the gel foam), which I initially thought might be too soft, but the layer is thin enough that you just get cushioning (rather than deeply sinking), and the latex underneath gives it a that little extra support that gel foam alone doesn’t have, so it actually starts to feel slightly firmer as you sink in. (It’s the firmest of the Dr. J series of beds.)

The owners of the store – Levi and Betty Yoder – are wonderfully nice folks. I purchased an inexpensive innerspring mattress set from them at JB Furnishings for my daughter, as well as a recliner on sale when they were clearing out that store. Levi actually brought two different box springs when he delivered the mattress (a regular and a low profile) and let us choose which one we wanted. Prices are negotiable.

The store is:
Dutch Craft Furnishings
Valley Marketplace
6121 South Ave
Boardman, OH 44512

The Valley Market Place is only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday. It’s a neat place, with a lot of food (all Amish made) and some gift shops along with the furniture store.

It’s open:
Thursday 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Saturday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

I’ll be curious to see what direction you go with your search. I’m leaning toward the Dr. J mattress, but need to save up some money first, and am still contemplating online options (that you might be able to return if they don’t work out).

I was really close to pulling the trigger on the OMF Serenity Latex…but I have slightly detoured. What I am searching for now is a 2 sided flippable latex (preferably Talay in the comfort layer) with a latex Core (preferably Dunlop). I would like to be able lay on it first but if my only option is the internet for this optimal combination I think I might be willing to roll the dice.

Phoenix…any suggestions ??? …I contacted The Charleston Mattress Company yesterday. . They used to offer The Harbor in Talay or Dunlop but only offer Dunlop currently and am waiting to hear back on the specs, but I haven’t sprung the optimal request of 2-sided Talay comfort layers with a Dunlop latex core. :woohoo:

Hi BGFalcon,

I don’t keep a record of the specs of the specific mattresses that are made by the hundreds of different manufacturers that are listed in the various lists throughout the forum or that are made by the members here (it would be too much for anyone to keep up with in a constantly changing market) and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make specific mattress suggestions that would be a good “match” for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) so I can’t make any specific mattress suggestions.

Having said that … a local manufacturer may be able to build a mattress that matches your criteria. Off the top of my head I also believe that The Original Mattress Factory in Dallas makes a two sided latex mattress with a Dunlop core and Talalay comfort layers. My Green Mattress also has a two sided latex mattress with Talalay comfort layers but it has a 100% natural Talalay middle layer instead of Dunlop. Royal Bedding here also makes a two sided latex mattress with a Dunlop core but they use softer continuous pour Dunlop in the comfort layers. Another option that may be worthwhile considering would be to buy a mattress with a firmer single 6" Dunlop core and then add a Talalay topper for your comfort layer.

I would be very cautious about buying a “finished” mattress that doesn’t have individual component layers or that would be very costly to return for any “fine tuning” changes that may be necessary because if a mattress you purchase isn’t a good match for you in terms of PPP and you need to return or exchange a complete mattress that needs to be shipped with a common carrier and the return shipping isn’t “subsidized” with a specific return policy then it can be very costly.

Phoenix

Thanks for the advice Phoenix. After doing many hours of research I have decided on The Mattress Factory in Ft. Worth. My criteria was a Dunlop core, 2-sided Talay comport and too be honest I prefer a finished mattress instead of the zipper concept. Unfortunately living in Chardon, Oh doesn’t lend practicality in testing the different custom options. I know a 28/36/28 would be too firm and have seen commentary that a 28 ild core is considered somewhat soft in a core. I talked to Peter Duncan and he does have a 30 ILD core which I think would be a nice hedge. I’m also leaning towards 3" comfort layer (since this was the total inches of the OMF Serenity) and I am back/side sleeper …wife is stomach/side sleeper. Thoughts on the 30 ILD core (instead of 28) and increasing comfort level from 2" to 3"?..I realize personal preference is the default but I’m going to have make this judgement call remotely.

Hi BGFalcon,

Just in case you wish to do some additional local research or testing … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Cleveland area are listed in post #2 here.

The ILD of differerent types of foam aren’t comparable and there are also other specifications that affect how firm a material feels besides just ILD alone (see post #4 here) so it’s not really possible to make a meaningful comparison between polyfoam IFD and latex ILD (see post #6 here).

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but I would keep in mind that even seemingly small differences between two mattresses in the type of materials, the thickness and firmness of each layer, and the type of cover can make a surprising difference on the overall feel and performance of a mattress and on how two mattresses compare.

If you can’t test a mattress in person then then the most effective approach would be a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable manufacturer that can help “talk you through” the options they have available that have the best chance of success based on the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you. If you aren’t confident that a specific design would be a good match for you in terms of PPP then I would seriously consider making the return or exchange options that are available to you and any costs involved a much more important part of your personal value equation to lower the risk of an online purchase that doesn’t turn out to be as suitable a match for you as you hoped for.

Phoenix

BGFalcon -

Did you ever check back with Country Bedding to see if they would do custom? I just visited Rainbow Bedding in Sugarcreek this weekend and talked to them about the possibility of doing a custom mattress (gel foam/latex/polyfoam), and another member here had them make a custom all- latex mattress. It’s a long haul from Chardon, but if you make an appointment in advance, they can lay out the layers and have you try them out before they make anything. (I just talked with them Saturday and tried some of their existing mattresses, and will have to set up another day to actually try different custom layer combinations since I didn’t give them much notice that I was coming.) And they do make a finished mattress (non-zippered). Their in-stock Dunlop is either soft, medium, or firm (the ILDs are a bit wider range than you’ve specified) but you could try what they have, and they can custom order other types of foam. Among their regular mattresses, they make an innerspring mattress with a removable/replaceable pillow top that you can get in latex. They do a lot of two-sided innerspring mattresses, as well as a two-sided memory foam. If you wanted something similar to the OMF Serenity latex, I’m sure they could do that, and I know they did a custom latex mattress for another member here.

I’ve been to a lot of stores as well, and I don’t think I’ve found anywhere in NE Ohio that has an all-latex mattress as a stock item – come to think of it, OMF is the only place I’ve seen latex that isn’t a latex/innerspring hybrid (since they have a polyfoam core). Unless there’s something we’ve missed, you would pretty much have to do custom, whether it’s online or from one of the Amish manufacturers.

There is an organic mattress manufacturer in Chagrin Falls called Naturepedic that I have not checked out, but they don’t appear to sell in any of the local area stores (and look to be rather pricey). You can view their mattresses, which are customizable at http://www.naturepedic.com/products/you/organic_mattresses.php , I don’t know if you could visit their facility to try anything out, but you could try calling them to see if they have any suggestions. Their number is 1-800-917-3342.