Getting closer to diy mattress build, need some advice please

See this post #7.

I’d decided on Leggett & Platt’s 8" Quantum Edge pocket coil unit (un-zoned) but was having trouble finding it, especially since I needed a txl. Well L&G have been very helpful and have ordered some. Once I get a chance to lay on it, I’ll go from there what kind of foams, cover etc.

Ok, they have got the pocket coil unit in and I’d like to do a 2" latex on ea side but wonder if it’s going to bunch up. What do you think, is it ok to put the latex (I’m thinking 19 ild talalay) top and bottom with the 8" pocket coil unit in the middle and use a zippered mattress cover?

Hi Alpharalpha.

Great to hear that L&P were so helpful to you and that you found the “un-zoned” version of the Quantum Edge. Your design is similar to a mattress sold by one of our trusted members, Arizona Premium Mattresses “ultimate” hybrid, but you are using 2" of latex on the coils, vs. 3" of latex in the AZP model here. I would not be worried about the latex “bunching up… latex has a high coefficient of friction and under normal circumstances it stays in place quite well. If any flipping or moving the mattress causes it to go out of place, than you can reposition it by opening the cover and placing a small partial “wave” through the layer. As far as your design goes, I am not sure why you’d want go with a 2-sided mattress using a comfort layer ILD of Talalay latex on both sides. The 2” of 19 ILD Talalay will work well for the comfort layer (top), but is ill-suited to be used as a base foam, as it does not have sufficient firmness as a base layer material. You may want to rethink this part of your DIY design and perhaps inquire ask Arizona Premium expert here. They have a great deal of DIY experience and would be able to pinpoint any weaknesses in your design.

I hope this helps

Phoenix

Yes, Leggett & Platt really came thru, they didn’t have that unit in stock and it was difficult to get, especially in a txl. Took 3 months. Very impressed.
I was all set to put 1" of Foamorder’s Everflex 24 ild on each side and then put a 3" two sided 19 ild talalay topper over it. The 2" talalay ea side idea was just a recent thought. It’s all a process. Exciting to actually be having it start to come together. You’ve been a great help, Thank you.

Hi Alpharalpha.

That’s impressive,… I am glad that they are so responsive and follow through.
Good luck with your DIY and let us know how it goes!

Phoenix

Hello, Leggett & Platt don’t sell to consumers directly so there’s a mattress manufacturer, also very helpful. Currently he’s picked it up and I have the option of him dropping it off as is, or he can make it into a mattress. I am divided here. My plan was to buy the foam and put it all in a zippered 2 sided mattress cover
https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/36408/sailboat-mattress.jpgbutas you’ve pointed out with the diy route there’s more of a chance of error; I am concerned maybe it won’t fit properly between them making a cover and my putting everything in it. But on the other hand the ability to customize it and be able to open it up if I need to is preferable. I’m just going to go with a 1" layer of poly foam on each side of the mattress and then put my topper over that. They use a 2.2 lb hd foam and if I buy my own it’d be hr 24 from Foam Order
https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/36408/FCG126HR4225rev1.pdf.It’stemptingto have them finish the mattress since they are in the business and everything should fit, but then I give up the ability to customize it if I wanted to change anything. What are your thoughts on this?

Hi Alpharalpha.

I take it back … It’s not impressive! :slight_smile: But I am glad that the manufacturer you worked with was so responsive and went out of their way to help find the un-zoned L&P you desired. Provided that your DIY core support is appropriate for your needs then a topper could be a good option for fine-tuning the comfort.

I understand why you’d be “divided” between the two options and I’d try to see if the manufacturer can find a way to further help you maintain the ability to customize your DIY in case your desired construction turns out not to be quite right. I agree that whichever direction you chose to go, you’d have better chances of success by relying on their advice as they’d have much more experience to guide you to the best possible outcome. I’d also make sure to look at both options once more in the light of all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

I’ll be interested in learning about your final decision.

Phoenix

I’m sorry, that must’ve got muddled. Leggett & Platt’s regional manager is the one who got me the coil unit, the mattress manufacturer is just who L&P has to sell to as they don’t sell direct to consumer. I decided to just get the coil unit and am very pleased with it. I’ve put it in a mattress encasement for now.

The thing now is I want to put 1" of hr foam on each side to finish it; there’s the everflex 24 ild from foam order or foamonline has an hr foam in 20 ild, don’t want to interfere too much with conforming of the coils. It’s actually pretty comfortable just on the coils but I know it needs something to spread out the force as not to pop a coil. The wait times, both are in CA and have to wait until the can get around to filling the order etc. A long while back I had decided on Foamorder because they have a great warranty and were very transparent even sending me the Flex2000 spec sheet for the foam. Foamonline says he doesn’t offer any warranty on the foam and no go on a detailed spec sheet. I know you are probably more familiar with foamonline, what have your experiences been? Do you think my foam ilds are ok? I plan on probably putting a topper over it anyways. Yea! finally getting this mattress put together :slight_smile:

Hi Alpharalpha.

It seems that you are progressing nicely with your DIY. :wink:
Thanks for adding the photos and for the clarification … again I am impressed that Leggett & Platt went out of their way to help a consumer.

Yes, it wouldn’t be good to sleep on the unit directly as the coils could easily become an issue because there is little above them to absorb the pressures of sleeping on the mattress.

You can always do a quick Forum Search (just click here) to find discussions of other site memberss about foamonline. I haven’t purchased from them, but I have talked with them in the past and while they don’t provide the speck sheets I found them to be knowledgeable and helpful on the phone. As you know they are one of the few that carry a selection of high-quality polyfoam in lower ILD’s. All things equal, it makes good sense to go with the foam company that provides warranty over the one that doesn’t. As long as the ILDs you choose feel comfortable you (as you are the only one that can feel what you feel on the mattress) I don’t see any issue with your selection as it seems to be just enough to assist with the pressure distribution and comfort so that you won’t feel the coils underneath.

Phoenix

Hello,
I did a forum search on foamonline and noticed someone mentioned their foam had Ronco stamped on it, are you familiar with them? They have a 100% full 10 year warranty on their HR foams, I haven’t got a price or spec’ sheet from them yet. I guess Dave has his reasons for opting out of warranties. Probably will go with Foamorder though it could take awhile to get the order as the foams are rotated to which one they are cutting that day. And they’re going to be making my 2 sided mattress cover. If they make the cover fit pretty snug do I still need to attach the foam to the coils to prevent it from bunching up? Thanks.

Finally got the mattress finished, about 6 months ago; ended up going with the V24 (density: 2.6 lbs) from Foamorder in a 1" thick sheet for each side (38x80) it weighed in at 9.8 lbs so was fairly accurate as to the specs. Was moderately difficult aligning both sides of foam, coil unit with the mattress cover which was a 40/60 blend so fit snug with a bit of stretch. Then put a mattress encasement over that. It’s very comfortable, any more than 1" and I think I’d lost the benefits of the coils. $500 total. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. Best wishes, Coyle.

Hi Alpharalpha.

Well done, congratulations on your new DIY, it really looks great!. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update, and $500!!! Really nice. It is always a little difficult with the cover, but as you said, both sides of foam, coil unit, and cover it can get a little tight and stiff in the beginning, but with some use the cover stretches and loosens a little more … it all looks like it fits great.

Nicely done with your new DIY mattress let us know if you notice any changes over time.

Phoenix

The mattress is holding up fine. The cover was actually very stretchy, the problem was when aligning the top and bottom 1" pieces of foam and then pulling the cover over to zip it up it’d pull the foam so had to move the foam more over to one side so when I pulled the cover over the foam would be in the right place; and the stretchy cover took some pulling on etc to get the seams all in the right places. If it had been a one sided build this wouldn’t have been as difficult but having to keep both sides lined up with the springs and the cover being both tight and stretchy. The foam also had to be worked a bit to get it to fit the springs; I found that gently waving it and settling it down worked. The mattress was sliding around a lot on the KD frame as there’s nothing holding the mattress in place and being 2 sided with the slick mattress encasement made it move more (and my using a gloss oil paint probably didn’t help.) Fortunately the springs were a couple inches short and once all assembled I had enough room in-between the slats at the foot of the mattress to stick a couple pieces of covered very firm hr foam samples I had which wedged the mattress tight enough into the head/wall that it stays in place.

Hey Alpharalpha,

I have to tell you that I have put on a few “zippered mattress covers” on in my day, and I could totally relate to all the maneuvering, pushing pulling, aligning…etc etc. And of course, nothing is ever the exactly right size.

Well done and creative, nice you had the covered HR foam wedges.

Thank you for coming back and updating the thread, it means a lot.

Thanks,
Sensei

I know right? I can’t count how many times when I was searching the forums and they just ended with no follow up, made things a lot more difficult. Nice to know someone can relate to what putting that together was like, strange how the thinner foam stretches around like it does; even now although the foam matches up on one end, the other end it has stretched a bit over the side. No biggie.
Actually, I need to build a backboard to go along the length of the bed since this twin xl isn’t against a wall it’s a lot narrower a feel than I anticipated as anytime I’ve slept on a twin it’s been against a wall (well as an adult that is.) So I could buy a cheap daybed frame but this kd nomad plus is pretty well made, especially in the slat design; the daybeds I see often have a metal strip down the middle that reviews have said bent which makes sense; the nomad has 2 wood strips down the middle, overall better frame, imo. So I might be making a backboard to go down the length to give something to lean into. So, the journey of this bed project continues; but once the backboard is in place it will open up a lot more usage of the mattress, which btw is perfectly comfortable, the coil springs conform nicely, the 1" hr foam is dense enough don’t feel coils thru it and the firmer coils around the sides give nice edge support. I am hoping there is an easy way to install a backboard, suggestions would be greatly appreciated as always…Thanks, Coyle.

Hey Alpharalpha,

Welcome back to the TMU forum :slight_smile: ! Good hearing from you again and thanks for your question.

So, you’re a little over a year into your DIY project now? Sounds like things are going well, thanks for the check-in. We’re currently experiencing some technical difficulties with broken links on the site, so some of the DIY posts may not be available during your research (our excellent support team is on the situation now, thanks for your patience). Worth mentioning however are two DIYers/ TMU consumer subscribers who have recently contributed lots of great ideas for bed base construction, @roosterfire and @BChaps may have some thoughts on how to proceed with a backboard installation…hope this helps :wink: .

Keep us updated on your project progress, would love to see pics if you have time too.

Thanks,
Sensei

I ended up putting it in corner against wall, just made more sense and was able to hook up a monitor arm monitor arm so can read etc on 27" monitor… Still like new :slight_smile:

I ended up putting it in corner against wall, just made more sense and was able to hook up an adjustable monitor arm so can read etc on 27" monitor. Mattress still like new, or bit better as springs starting to break in a bit, was kinda stiff initially.

Hi Alpharalpha,

I gather that you are coming up to 3 years and sleeping well on your long-labored DIY.
Thanks for the update. and keeping track of changes over time. Very helpful!

Phoenix