Getting Started

Hi Bradley22942,

Spending time testing most major brand mattresses or any mattress where you can’t find out the specifics of the materials and components inside it and where another manufacturer doesn’t make a better quality/value mattress that they specifically describe as being similar to a mattress you tested is mostly wasted because it would be too risky to purchase and in most cases they can’t be used as a reference point to purchase another mattress that is “similar”. At best it may give you some sense of the general firmness level you tend to prefer and if they carry a range of different types of mattresses (see this article) it may give you some sense of the type of mattresses you tend to prefer as well but in general I would tend to focus on more knowledgeable and transparent retailers and manufacturers that can provide you with more specific information about their mattresses … even for testing mattresses.

An exception may be Tempurpedic memory foam mattresses because the specs are generally known and there are a number of online memory foam retailers or manufacturers that make mattresses that they describe as being comparable to many of the Tempurpedic models but memory foam mattresses are just one of many different types or categories of mattress and you seem to be in the group of people that don’t like or prefer them anyway.

I’m not sure which city you live in but Fredericksburg, VA is in between Washington, DC and Richmond, VA so subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Fredericksburg area are listed in post #2 here. Mt Vernon Sleep carries a number of latex mattresses.

Other nearby forum lists that may also include some options that are in reasonable driving distance would be the Washington, DC list here and the Richmond, VA list here and the Charlottesville/Lynchburg/Waynesboro, VA list here.

Phoenix