Going to IKEA today

To test some latex mattresses. Although from what I read I think the mattresses from Dreamfoam bedding are better.

Phoenix, I’m 205lbs and my wife is 160. Side and stomach sleepers. Any particular things to look for to prevent sagging? Thanks

Hi Mstrlucky74,

The two most important things I would look for are a mattress that isn’t on the edge of being too soft for you in terms of PPP and that uses good quality and durable materials … especially in the comfort layers (see post #4 here).

Phoenix

My wife actually liked e spring coil mattress the best… :S

I was trying to tell her they are inferior to the memory foam and latex. This is becoming so frustrating !!!

Hi Mstrlucky74,

I’m not so sure I would agree with this and some of the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry that can sleep on anything they want prefer an innerspring mattress to anything else (of course they also use high quality materials in the comfort layers).

I would think of a mattress as a combination of materials that includes a support core for support/alignment (such as an innerspring, latex, or polyfoam), comfort layers for pressure relief (such as polyfoam, memory foam, latex, natural or synthetic fibers, microcoils, etc) and in the case of more complex constructions there may also be transition layers in between them that perform a dual role and help with both support/alignment and comfort/ pressure relief (and generally use slightly firmer versions of the same comfort materials).

Each person will have their own preferences about the type of materials and components they prefer in each part of a mattress and one isn’t necessarily “better” than another unless it’s also someone’s preference.

The most important part of the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person is in the upper layers (comfort and transition layers) and the support core of a mattress isn’t usually the weak link of a mattress in terms of durability regardless of what type it is.

The different types of comfort and transition layers generally have lower quality and less durable versions and higher quality more durable versions so no matter which type of comfort materials someone prefers … it’s always important to make sure that they are higher quality and more durable versions of that material (you can see the guidelines I would use in post #4 here).

I would be very cautious about any of the memory foam mattresses at Ikea because they tend to use low quality/density 3 lb memory foam which I would avoid and I would make sure you always know the specific materials in all the layers of any mattress you are considering.

The type of materials you choose are always a personal preference and I would tend to avoid “better/worse” assessments that don’t take someone’s preferences into account. The quality and durability of the materials and components you prefer though is always important … especially in the upper layers of the mattress.

Which mattress was this … I don’t see it on their site.

Phoenix

Thanks very much phoenix. It’s the Sultan Holmsta.

Hi MSTrlucky74,

You can see my thoughts about the Sultan Holmsta in post #3 here.

While an innerspring mattress can be a good choice with good quality comfort layers … this is one that I would tend to avoid.

Phoenix

Much appreciated Phoenix. Think we are gonna give the tuft and needle a shot. Seems like a good fit for our sleeping habits(side and stomach) and weights …about 205. & 150

Hi Mstrlucky74,

I’m not sure whether you are looking at the 5" or the 10" version but either way it’s a good quality/value choice in its budget range. Based on their description and feedback its also fairly firm so it would likely be a good choice for your stomach sleeping but you may need a little extra softness or cushioning for side sleeping. Your own experience will be the most reliable way to know but of course it’s always safer to choose a mattress that is too firm because you can always add to pressure relief or “comfort” with a topper but there really aren’t any great options if you choose a mattress that is too soft because you would normally need to remove and replace the foam layers that are too soft rather than adding to them.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot Phoenix!!’

Hi Mstrlucky74,

Just as an afterthought … the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 customizable mattress may also be worth looking at if you are considering a good quality polyfoam mattress because it provides many options to customize the firmness level after a purchase by rearranging the layers and also uses good quality 2 lb polyfoam. The Tuft and Needle has a great return policy and the 12 in 1 has great options to customize the feel and performance of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Rearranging the layers? How hard is that to do?

Is this the one your referring to? Not as many reviews as some other Dreamfoam beds though…yikes

https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-King-Size-Customizable-Mattress/dp/B00JGBXYAM/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&m=APCUWEOU23BHI&qid=1397468281&s=generic&sr=1-14

Hi Mstrlucky74,

It’s fairly simple … you just open up the zip cover and remove the layers and put them back in a different order and zip up the cover again. There are many component latex mattresses that have the same feature and the polyfoam would be a little easier than latex because it’s lighter and less “floppy”.

Yes that’s the one. I personally don’t pay much attention to mattress reviews (good or bad) because they tell you little to nothing about the quality of the mattress or the materials inside it and someone else’s experience on a mattress also has little to nothing do with whether a mattress is suitable for someone else and how they will feel on it. You can read more about mattress reviews in post #13 here.

Phoenix

The link for the Dreamfoam does not link to it anymore. ??? Thanks

Hi Mstrlucky74,

The link seems to have been changed. This is it now

Phoenix

Thank you!! I can’t find what is recommended for a base. My wife thinks we need to get a box spring with it. Would a platform bed suffice.

BTW, is the foam Certipure that Dream foam bedding uses?
Also I thought I saw you mention In another thread that no less than 2.4lb poly should not be used in a mattress. I’m confused as to which are the comfort and support layers in this mattress. Thanks

Hi Mstrlucky74,

Any rigid evenly supportive support surface would be fine including a foundation or a platform bed where the gaps were close enough together to prevent the mattress from sagging into the gaps would be fine. I wouldn’t use a box spring (a box spring has springs that flex under the mattress and generally aren’t the best choice with a foam mattress). They will give you more specific information about the types of foundation that they suggest when you talk with them. There is more about foundations and mattress support systems in the foundation post here.

Yes … they are on the CertiPur list here*.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

I think you may be mixing up the definition of HR polyfoam with the guidelines for polyfoam density that are suitable for use in a mattress. The density guidelines I would suggest are in post #4 here.

Comfort layers are the upper part of a mattress that is primarily meant to provide comfort and pressure relief. Support layers are the deeper layers or components of a mattress that are meant to primarily provide support/alignment. The middle layers are transition layers that have a dual function and help with both. There is more detailed information in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I like this one for a foundation: Foundations - Brooklyn Bedding

It is used in place of a box-spring.