golden mattress comfort tex materials

I began my mattress search in August 2014 after researching this site. I had decided on latex for durability and pressure point relief. Not many stores in Southport/Wilmington NC carry latex mattresses so I gave up in frustration… When I resumed shopping I settled on a Golden Mattress Co Comfort Tex latex mattress from Cape Fear Bedding. Unfortunately the manufacturer had changed the make-up of the bed without alerting the retailer and the mattress delivered did not have the comfort layer I had tested in the store. Now I begin again. Jell at Cape Fear Bedding will refund my money but suggested I try Comfort Tex Plush, an upgrade from the original purchase…

I wrote Golden Mattress requesting layer and ILD information on the Comfort Tex Plush… They call it latex but here are the layers per their description: ““The Comfort Tex Plush consist of a high density 6” 2-lb Bioflex foam core base laminated to a 3” layer of HD 2-lb. soft foam and 2" HD soft talalay latex.“” No ILDs provided. How would you grade this mattress?

Hi 8grands,

Thanks for sharing the specs of the Golden Comfort Tex Plush … I appreciate it.

This would be a latex/polyfoam hybrid with 2" of Talalay latex with the rest of the mattress using 2 lb polyfoam. Latex of course is a high quality material and 2 lb polyfoam is a good quality and durable material as well so there would be no weak links in the mattress (see the foam quality/density guidelines here).

ILD is a “comfort spec” not a “quality spec” and isn’t necessary to know when you are testing a mattress locally because with careful testing your body will tell you what you need to know about whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and knowing the ILD won’t give you any additional meaningful information that your testing hasn’t already told you.

Phoenix

Thank you for reassuring me about the quality of the Comfort Tex Plush. I will test it Friday. Is the price of $1100 reasonable for the materials? I am debating whether to drive to Charleston to test the Charleston Mattress CO flippable Harbor Dunlop mattress: The Dunlop model is 100% latex. The 6-inch core is 23 ILD and the 2 inches on either side are 19. If it is soft enough and meets the PPP requirements would it be a better buy at $1800? While in Charleston I could visit the manufacturer-direct Sleeping Organic, although prices there may exceed my budget.
Thanks again.

Hi 8grands,

The “value” of a mattress purchase depends on the size of the mattress, what is included in the purchase (foundation, any other “bonuses” etc), and most of all how it compares to the other “finalists” you are considering or other mattresses that are available in your area (or online of you are including online options in your research) based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important you.

In other words there isn’t a “formula” that can tell you whether the price of a mattress is “reasonable” or not based only on the materials inside the mattress without taking all the other factors that are part of the “value” of a mattress purchase into account as well. There is more about the three most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses and help you decide whether a mattress is a “reasonable value” for you (regardless of whether the same mattress would be reasonable for someone else that had different criteria or was in a different area and had a different range of mattresses available to them)…

Having said that … Golden mattresses do tend to sell in more reasonable budget ranges and are often better “value” than many other manufacturers that use similar materials.

Phoenix