Goldilocks searching for a new mattres

I feel like Goldilocks searching for a comfy mattress.

Long story short: Had a Duxiana bed that was comfy. When the cotton topper was old & compressed & needed replacing, discovered that Duxiana weren’t selling the cotton topper in the U.S. anymore, only memory foam toppers. Memory foam would have been too hot for Mrs. Goldilocks, so I got a wool topper to replace the compressed cotton, which was OK for a couple years

I gave myself a back injury pulling weeds. I had acute sciatica, did PT, but still had numbness in one foot. Sleeping on the Dux bed made the numbness worse; sleeping on the double futon in our son’s room usually resulted in less numbness, which led us to conclude that the underlying support on the Duxiana bed is too soft for me now & so we went mattress shopping.

Our pocketbook & bank accounts had already been depleted this year due to: new kitchen, deck, walkway, & downstairs paint – all in preparation for son’s wedding in our backyard. Then the rentals for the wedding. Then a new car because when we took the 10-year-old Murano in for an oil change, we were told “don’t even bother; the frame’s gone”. So, the green and organic mattresses at The Clean Bedroom in Wellesley were all too pricey for us. Plus, our experience with buying a very spendy mattress that was supposed to last didn’t work out so well. I can’t see spending $3k - $4k for a mattress that will last 8 - 10 years if we’re lucky. (We’ve been married 35 years, and we are now on our 5th mattress and shopping for our 6th)

Mr. Goldilocks is not the most patient shopper in the world. After the sticker shock at The Clean Bedroom (where we went because I have allergies & like to buy “green” and organic when I can, and don’t want to spend 8 hours a night breathing chemicals), we went to BedWorks in Cambridge, where we’ve bought 2 futons & frames, including the one in our son’s room I had been sleeping on.

I’m 5’ 8" and 190 lbs. Mr. Goldilocks is 6’ and 210 lbs. We’re in our upper 50s & have both had some physical issues making it sometimes difficult for both of us to be able to sleep well in our Queen bed, so we decided to upsize to a King, which meant we’d need a new bed frame, too.

After spending a LOT of time trying to figure out whether a futon, memory foam, or latex foam mattress (and which firmness of the foam mattresses) was more comfortable, we finally decided that at 1/3 the price, the futon was as comfortable as the foam mattresses. We also bought a floating platform bed frame & headboard from BedWorks.

The firmer futon on the platform bed is too hard for me. Mr. Goldilocks can sleep on it; he does notice that it is firm, but he’s still asleep seconds after his head hits the pillow. I have issues with getting and staying asleep, which this mattress exacerbates.

We were about to pull the trigger on ordering a Casper mattress – we can just about afford it even without waiting to see if we get a tax refund for the past year. I’m leery of ordering without trying, but the mattress we bought locally after trying it in the store didn’t work out, so why not? But then I was “wasting time” by still stooging around on the internet (with Mr. Goldilocks telling me to just order it already) & found this website. Gah!! Mr. Goldilocks will NEVER put in as much time shopping as Phoenix suggests.

I am now thinking about the 10" Spindle Abscond mattress – natural latex with organic cotton cover & wool batting. I figure the wool batting should help me with temperature regulation on the latex mattress. And, luckily for us, Acton MA (where Spindle is) is just a few towns away, so we can go and try out the mattresses in person. Slightly more spendy than the Casper, but it comes in 3 different firmnesses of natural latex, has the wool batting, and organic cotton covering.

I’d welcome thoughts from folks who’ve purchased the Casper or the Spindle Abscond

Mrs. Goldilocks

Hi dragons4Mama,

If the only issue with your futon is that it’s too firm and you just need some additional softness and pressure relief then it may be worth considering a topper instead of a whole new mattress. Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to has more information that can help you use your sleeping experience to choose the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper that has the best chance of success.

As you probably know from reading the site … I think very highly of Neal and Spindle and they are a member of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry. The Natural Dunlop latex that they use in their mattresses is a higher quality (and much more costly) material than any of the layers in the Casper mattress and a component mattress also has the advantage of being able to rearrange or exchange the layers so you can “fine tune” the mattress after a purchase if you need to. They also have the advantage of being able to replace a single layer instead of the whole mattress if one of the layers softens or breaks down faster than the others (usually the top layer) or if your needs and preferences change over time. You are also very fortunate that you are close enough to test the mattress in person. A forum search on Spindle (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them.

There is also more information about Casper in posts #2 and #5 here and in post #2 here and you can see some of thoughts about some of the “one size fits all” mattresses that are becoming more common in the market in post #2 here. A forum search on Casper (you can just click this) will bring up more information about them as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix - thanks for the suggestions.

We have, actually, tried the Queen-sized wool topper crosswise on the king futon – spaced to cushion shoulders – so the wool topper covered all but the upper pillow area & lower feet areas. It helped, but not I think enough. (Had to take it off to flip or turn the futon & never put the wool topper back on.)

Until your post, I hadn’t known that one could get latex toppers – I’d only seen the memory foam ones. Memory foam would be too hot for me.

The latex toppers I sampled from your list look like they’d be about 1/3 (or slightly more) the cost of a 10" Spindle. But I’m afraid that might be throwing good money after bad. The futon is really not resilient (although we do have to turn and rotate it because it does develop hollows and hummocks). I’m afraid that with only 3" of latex topper, I’d sink down through the topper and “bottom out” on the futon. I really think it would be like sleeping on a topper on top of well-padded plush carpeting.

Thanks for the suggestions, though

Hi dragons4Mama,

Wool tends to be firmer than foam toppers and provides more "point specific"pressure relief under the main pressure points but it tends to be firmer and less pressure relieving (and more costly) than a foam topper (latex, memory foam, or polyfoam). There is more about wool toppers in post #8 here and the posts it links to.

In the right thickess and firmness it would provide a significant improvement in pressure relief (when my kids come over with their significant others they often sleep on a 3" latex topper on the floor and sleep fine although of course it’s not quite as comfortable as a mattress). While only you can decide if it’s worth trying or whether you feel “safer” just buying a new mattress … if you buy a topper with a good exchange or return policy it can lower the risk of trying the topper and finding out it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

Perhaps when you go to Spindle it may be worth trying one of their latex layers on a very firm surface to see how it feels for you.

Phoenix

Thanks for the suggestion to try the Spindle topper (or a layer of Spindle latex) on the floor. We’re hoping to get there tomorrow or Thursday