Good Innnerspring Mattress with Minimal Foam

Hi motuman and jethrodesign,

You can see my comments about this in post #2 here.

This depends on the type of support you are talking about. There is more about primary and secondary support and their relationship to pressure relief and firmness in post #4 here and in post #2 here. The only way to know for certain whether any mattress will keep you in good alignment in all your sleeping positions would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress and how to minimize the uncertainty and risks involved with each of them in post #2 here.

There is more about the different types of innersprings and how they compare with each other in this article and in post #10 here but as you mentioned … in “real life” terms the upper layers of a mattress would be the weakest link of a mattress regardless of the type of innerspring that is used underneath them.

I would agree with your comments here. Depending on the weight and sleeping position of the person … the upper 3" to 6" of a mattress will have the biggest effect on how it feels when you lie on a mattress so if there are thicker layers of foam or other padding materials above an innerspring then the differences between them would become much less noticeable than they would be with thinner layers.

You can see the foam quality/density guidelines I would generally suggest in post #4 here. Outside of the density of a polyfoam layer the durability will be affected by other variables as well including what is above and below it, the firmness of the layer, and the thickness of the layer. Layers that are deeper in a mattress will be more durable than the same layers that are closer to the top of a mattress where they will be subject to more of the compression forces. A two sided mattress will also significantly affect the durability of the materials in the mattress so a foam density that is suitable for a two sided mattress may not be as suitable or as durable in a one sided mattress. There is more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix