Good Places for Buying Local or Delivery in Boston

Hi DAngeresque55,

I clicked before I finished my reply … and the rest of it is there now :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Ah ha, thanks!

Am I correct in assuming you could eschew using a metal frame in favor of a platform bed if you so chose?

Seemed like many platform beds could be used as a foundation themselves as long as they were solid or had slats less than 3" apart, so if you were to use one in addition the foundation would more be about raising the height of the mattress, is that correct?

And can I assume if I were to go this route that a platform bed with a solid base would be fine since the foundation would still allow the mattress to breathe?

Hi Dangeresque55,

A platform bed or adding a headboard or footboard to a steel bedframe would be a matter of room decoration and aesthetics and would be a personal preference. If it had a suitable support surface with slats that were 3" or less apart and had good center support to the floor … they would both would be fine in terms of supporting the foundation, the mattress, and the people on it.

If you do choose a suitable slatted platform bed then yes … you wouldn’t need a foundation unless you wanted additional height in which case you could add a bunkie board, a low profile foundation, or a full foundation depending on how high you wanted the sleeping surface to be.

There is more about a solid surface support system in post #10 here but if you added a foundation or a slat conversion kit or a bed rug on top it would be fine (again depending on the height that you prefer).

Phoenix

New Update

Ended up ordering the Sleep Select 10000 from SleepEZ, should be here end of next week or the following Monday.
Went with a soft Talalay over Medium Dunlop over Firm Dunlop. Was debating going 2 layers of Talalay instead of just the top 1, but because I tend to roll onto my back or stomach when sleeping I tended toward the slightly firmer support of the Dunlop over the springy cushioning of another layer of Talalay.

Now to find the right mattress protector and bed frame/platform combination.

Thanks again for all the help Phoenix and I will be sure to update once ive gotten the mattress and tried it out.

Hi Dangeresque55,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

The previous posts in the topic should help you choose a suitable support system or platform bed and there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here that should be helpful.

Phoenix