Good stores to purchase a Mattress in College Station, TX

Hi djag67,

I would consider 4" of latex that soft to be on the risky side for a combination sleeper of your weight that was primarily a back sleeper … and especially for someone that spent time on their stomach.

I also wouldn’t compare the ILD/IFD of memory foam to the ILD of latex because they really aren’t comparable and memory foam ILD is not a good guideline for latex ILD. They really are apples to oranges comparisons because memory foam is affected by compression, tempeerature, humidity, and time while latex is only affected by compression. I would only use your experiences on latex as a guideline for latex and your experiences on memory foam as a guideline for memory foam. Latex also doesn’t change it’s ILD over the course of the night while memory foam will. ILD is really not a meaningful spec with memory foam except perhaps to give you some indication of the relative softness of two different versions of memory foam and even that is variable depending on conditions and on the other more important properties of memory foam besides ILD.

I have the Harmony “quality specs” (layer thickness and type of latex) but not the “comfort specs” (ILD). They are …

3" ActiveFUSION Fast Natural Talalay
6" Bonded Foam/Latex (90% polyfoam/10% latex see post #6 here)

Since there are only 3 ILD’s for the Talalay GL I would make an “educated guess” that the ILD of the 3" comfort layer is 21 ILD (which is what they use in the top layer of most of their mattresses) but I’ve never asked them.

The description of the Serenity here says that it’s one of their firmest mattresses and it would be a surprise to me if they were using 3" of N1 in the comfort layers (although I don’t know their comfort specs).

I have no idea but a quick google search brings up a couple of very partial descriptions here and here neither of which have enough information to be meaningful.

The risk of course is less if a manufacturer will make changes but of course you still have to get the mattress there. I still would be very cautious about using that much soft latex. If anything I would sleep on the mattress first before adding any kind of topper and then use your actual sleeping experience on the mattress to help you decide on a topper.

Phoenix