Got my new mattress, which is great... but now my back hurts..

I’m not naming names on which mattress I ended withup yet, because I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it - as best as I can tell, it’s an amazing mattress and I’m hopeful it’s going to serve us wonderfully for many years.

Only problem is, my back starts hurting halfway through the night now and just gets worse as the night goes on. Other than my two kids who are young enough to soemtimes need to be carried, I don’t have any non-bed reasons that my back would hurt.

The question, then, is, how do I go about figuring out why it’s hurting and guessing what to do about it? Luckily, we’ve got two replaceable latex comfort layers, so I’m reasonably hopeful that I can find something that works as well for me as any bed would. And I’ll call the folks who wold it to me and talk to them about it, but I hope to be able to go in with something better than “my back hurts”.

I have read the support and spinal alignment portion of the finding a mattress part of this site, and it looks like it has some good steps to take, I’m just curious if you have any additional posts that you’d highlight on figuring out why somebody’s back is hurting.

On a slightly ironic note: sleeping on this bed appears to be causing me more back pain than sleeping on our 10 year old, too-short-for-me sofa. But as I say, it’s a really nice bed, and I’m hopeful I’ll be able to get it the rest of the way to perfect. I just have no real idea what to look for at this point, since I’ve never had this problem before.

Hi swidorest,

There are of course many causes for back issues that can be very individual and it would depend on where the issues were and on the underlying cause of the problem. For example a mattress that is too firm could cause upper back issues while a mattress that is too soft could cause lower back issues. Of course there are many other possibilities as well depending on the specifics of your mattress and your “symptoms”. There is some general information in post #2 here and in post #45 here but in most cases the most effective approach would be a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer or retailer of your mattress who would probably have good experience with others who have similar “symptoms” to you and would be able to make suggestions that have the best odds of success.

Just like going to a doctor when you have certain “symptoms” … when you have “symptoms” on a mattress then the goal is to provide as complete and detailed a description of the symptoms and circumstances as possible to the retailer or manufacturer so that they can use their knowledge and experience with helping others to make suggestions that have the best odds of providing a solution.

Phoenix