Grand bed clone

What are the options that are similar to the Grand Bed? I’m only aware of Selectfoam but it appears they are still having some customer service problems. Also can you recommend any retailers selling latex or foam near Richmond Virginia?

Hi gcrain,

The three that I’m aware of that are described as approximating the Tempurpedic GrandBed are the Select Foam Grandis and the Christeli Lux Estate and the Christeli Palais Grand Royale (with latex support cores).

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Richmond, VA area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #5 here.

Phoenix

The Christeli beds certainly look interesting. I like that they have more information on the support cores than Selectfoam provides and that they are latex. Cozypure also looks interesting, especially the zoning, but certainly pricier than the others and not sure if zoning would be beneficial or detrimental to my back. The Original Mattress factory website is rather confusing but the idea of an innerspring/latex does interest me. I should mention I have a lower back issues, specifically the S1 disc.

Hi gcrain,

Select Foam is also completely transparent about the type and quality/density of all the layers in their mattresses including the polyfoam support cores.

I would also be aware that the Cozy Pure mattresses are latex mattresses while the Christeli and Select Foam are both memory foam mattresses (they have memory foam comfort layers) so they will be very different from each other. There is more about how memory foam and latex compare and the pros and cons of each in post #2 here.

OMF has a two sided latex/polyfoam hybrid but they don’t have a innerspring/latex hybrid that I’m aware of but there are a few innerspring/latex hybrids listed in post #2 here.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (locally or online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here and there is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

I decided to pull the trigger and ordered the Christeli Lux Estate. I’ve been occasionally reading and posting on this forum for 3 years, although the first 2 years I was in Afghanistan so those don’t really count. At first I bought a topper from Brooklyn Bedding and it was wonderful for a little while and I thought I had found the magic combo, a firm innerspring with a plush latex topper but unfortunately it didn’t last. I do like the feel of the Tempur HD material so hopefully that 6pd foam is similar. Sightly disappointed that they switched from 8pd to 6pd but I may end up liking that just fine. The biggest factors for me going with Christeli were what seem to be a high satisfaction with customer service and a shipping time of 4-6 days. The thick base layer being latex was a factor too. To me this seems like a better choice than polyfoam but I don’t really know enough to say for sure.

Hi gcrain,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

PS: there would be very little difference between the durability of 6 lb memory foam and 7 or 8 lb memory foam because the durabililty benefits of memory foam cap out at about 6 lbs or so.

Can you explain the difference between between 5pd memory foam and Tempur HD memory foam? It is so different from a tactile perspective that it seems like their must be some fundamental difference other than just higher density.

Hi gcrain,

I haven’t slept on any of the Christeli mattresses and done a side by side comparison with any of the Tempurpedic mattresses so I don’t know how they are similar or different in their response but there is more about how the hundreds of different types of memory foam can be chemically formulated to have different properties and differ from each other (regardless of density) in post #9 here and in post #8 here.

Phoenix

Not sure where I belong in any discussions on mattresses with this website. I am looking for a new bed and looked at Christeli’s website. Is it just me or are others concerned that a) you cannot try the mattress in person. b) Christeli does not give money back. c) the warranty is not listed on website. d) twice I have called and told they would send me the warranty to my email and neither times was it delivered. e) they seem to think that a 3% rate for unhappy clients acceptable. f) and they get defensive about why they do not give money back. g) what if I fall into that 3% and cannot get my money back?

I know there are those who are happy with bed. Very few have problems, but even if every person liked their beds except me, the reviews would do me no good?

I need help with this mattress selection. I cannot afford a mistake. I also looked at Intellibed. There seems to be many beds in the foam arena that have fallen and failed. I am thinking Costco because of their return policy, but want the best mattress I can afford.I like soft, but supportive.