Grand Legacy/White Dove--Recommendations

Hi,
I have a three year old Stearns and Foster mattress that has ‘side blowout’. The store where I purchased it has come out to inspect and I am getting full credit (ie what i paid three years ago) to get a new mattress! I know that we want to get a Grand Legacy which is made by WHite Dove. It is sold at Levin Mattress. What I don’t know is which one to get? Also I had to keep my box springs from the stearns and foster. Doesn’t seem like a big deal…but will that impact performance of the grand legacy?

Hi cleveland84,

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the type and quality of all the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components in a mattress to the quality/durability guidelines here so you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or obvious weak links that would compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress you are considering.

A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. I’m assuming that you have a foundation that has minimal to no flex and not a box spring that is designed to provide some additional flex under a mattress. Many people mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

If you have a Stearns & Foster foundation then it should be fine with the Grand Legacy but I would check with your retailer to make sure that it meets White Dove’s warranty criteria for the Grand Legacy.

Phoenix