Green Sleep Mattress - Molena - pretty impressed

I had the opportunity to try a Green Sleep mattress by the name of Molena recently. I’ve got to say I was pretty impressed by the feeling. I was comparing to other latex mattresses available in the store and they didn’t measure up to the green sleep mattress.

Here’s the details
Green Sleep Molena Product Details

Mattress Top: ◦100% Certified Organic Peruvian Cotton Cover
◦1500 g / sq metre (44 ounces / sq yard) wool quilted to cover
◦Texel Wool is the only certified pH balanced (pH 7) fibre used in any mattress available today
◦2" soft 100% natural rubber tree latex
◦100% natural wool fire barrier (no chemical flame retardants)

Mattress Core: ◦Layer of wool in mattress core for fire barrier and sound deadening
◦Two layers of rubberized coconut fibre for pressure dispersion
◦Pocketed Innersprings wrapped in 100% certified organic cotton
◦Reinforced rubberized coconut edge system
◦Mattress is hand laced for durability
◦Mattress core is fully reversible for durability

The Green Sleep Saluna has a 3" instead of a 2" soft 100% natural rubber tree latex.
They are very pricey mattresses in the range of 2500 to 3k for a queen size.

Just looking for some feedback of any user who’s purchased any of these two models or and other green sleep mattress and I know that value wise , they are not the best value if you just look at the make up of the mattresses, but overall, I was blown by the experience. Plus they are organic mattresses.

Thanks.

Hi tekila1,

This thread has some comments about the similar Saluna which may be of interest to you.

If you are comparing this to the “typical” latex mattresses in most stores then it certainly would be no comparison. Many mattresses that are sold as latex in many of the more heavily advertised stores may only have thin layers of latex in them. There are other similar innerspring/latex hybrids but they are not typically sold in most stores but in specialty sleep shops.

I’ll add a few other comments and hopefully some others that have purchased this mattress will comment as well …

Bear in mind that the latex and the wool that GreenSleep uses is not organic but they are 100% natural. The lack of organic certification though has nothing to do with the quality of either and both are very high quality materials … just not organic for those where this may be important.

I would also bear in mind that in most cases these are sold with one of their flexible bases (the S200 or the S300) and the feel and performance of the mattress will be quite different if they are used on a solid base. If you tested this in the store on one of the flexible bases … then you would need to buy the two together to have the same performance and feel which would add significantly to the cost. If you are considering the mattress only (which it seems you are based on the price you quoted) … make sure you test it on a firm non flexing base so that if you purchase the mattress only it feels and performs the same as it did in the store.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I do realise that if you add the s200 or s300 foundation, it’s an additional $1100.00 at least. The store where I saw and tried this mattress had a similar foundation for about $500.00. Not sure if I’d go for it, but that was available.

They also had their own custom in house coil mattress with a wool topper which came very close in experience to the Green sleep mattress. The price was about 2500.00 as well, but I had the impression it didn’t need a special pricey foundation. I believe it’s the combination of wool, latex and spring and some other materials which gives the green sleep that special comfort feeling that’s quite special.

Regarding the organic staple of the mattress, that wouldn’t be a huge factor if I would get it or not. It’a nice to have feature.

Hi tekila1,

My biggest concern was that you tested the mattress on the same type of foundation as you would be using at home so that you didn’t end up buying a “sleep system” that felt and performed differently than the one you tested in the store.

Just as a possibility (and this was part of the subject of the other thread I linked) … 44 oz per sq yd of wool is about 10 lbs in a queen size and you would have an option of adding a similar topper (see post #3 here) if you had the chance to compare a similar mattress where all it was missing was the wool. This has the added advantage of being a removable layer that can be replaced or maintained separately from the mattress.

This may give you some budget options that may help unless the GreenSleep is “exactly” what you want and any extra cost is worth the tradeoff of getting exactly what you have tested and know is “perfect”. It certainly is a very nice mattress :slight_smile:

One of the most knowledgeable Canadian retailers I know when it comes to GreenSleep (or other premium mattresses) is here and they also have a bonus mattress protector that goes with it as a “value” reference. One of the owners there is Daniel. They also carry a similar two sided pocket coil mattress which has more wool in it than the GreenSleep along with silk and cotton batting but less latex and which is also Canadian made by Sprout … just FWIW.

Phoenix

Phoenix. I cannot thank you enough. I already had two expensive mattresses in our guest rooms downstairs that just did not offer my wife the relief that she needed for her back so we were desperate.

After spending hours on your site, we took the plunge with the Dolcezza Green Sleep from tmasc in Edmonton . In a word it is fantastic. Because of the price we went without the base thinking we could always get it later if needed but our Ikea Malm bed base is doing just fine with it.

After a couple of weeks we did tweak it by changing out one of the soft layers for a medium on my side and I prefer it so liked that ability.

You were right they were very knowledgeable and helpful and even after our fourth visit our sales person Ruth greeted us as warmly as on our first visit.

Your website and forum are invaluable

Thank you sooooo much

Hi pbmoreau,

You’re very welcome.

The people at TMASC as you know are very helpful, knowledgeable, and “experts” in what they do.

Thanks for the feedback … and most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix