Green Sleep Vimala vs. Vicence

My husband and I are looking for a new mattress that will hopefully last us a while this time. In the past, we have just bought mattresses blindly based on the feel in the store and not done too much research regarding the materials or makeup of the mattress. This has lead to very restless sleeps, and we have now been through 2 mattresses in the last 5 years.

Here are the issues we are facing:

1. Heat - The last few mattresses we have owned have been very hot to sleep on and am hoping to get something that is a bit cooler or breathes more. My husband also naturally runs very hot. That heat transfers and at times makes it very uncomfortable for me to sleep, even when he is at the other end of the bed :).

2. Deep Grooves/indents - We rotate our mattress regularly but it still has very deep indents in it which is something we are hoping to avoid with a new mattress…as much as this can ever be avoided.

3. Organic Options - We have become much more conscious of what materials are used in mattresses and have decided to go with an organic/natural mattress.

After much research, we visited the Mattress and Sleep Company in Edmonton to try out the Sleeptek and Green Sleep latex mattresses in their showroom. We have never owned a latex mattress so I wanted to try out the feel. I could not believe how comfortable they were and we both think this is a good option for us to pursue. Between the 2 brands, we did find the Green Sleep to be a bit more comfortable, however, based on the issues we have had in the past, I am looking for some advice.

1. The sales rep was very knowledgeable and mentioned that these beds don’t run hot, and that based on the way they are made, allow for a cooler sleep. I am wondering if anyone owns a Green Sleep bed and can give any feedback on this.
  2. We tried both the Green Sleep Vimala and the Green Sleep Vicence. It seems the only difference is that the Vimala has 8" of rubber and the Vicence has 9" of rubber. The price difference is about $700 between them Does anyone have experience with Green Sleep beds that can tell me what you would gain with the extra inch of rubber?

Thanks in advance!

Hi sidarapd,

TMASC is one of the members of this site and are among the most knowledgeable retailers in the industry. They are experts in the mattresses they sell and the materials inside them and will provide you with accurate and reliable information about the benefits and features of all their mattresses.

There is more about the many variables that can affect temperature regulation in post #2 here but the Sleeptek, the Vimala, and the Vincence are all 100% natural Dunlop latex mattresses with cotton covers quilted with natural fiber (wool in the Sleeptek and wool/silk in the Green Sleep) which are very temperature regulating materials so it would be very unlikely that most people would have any temperature issues on any of these mattresses.

All of these mattresses use similar materials and 100% natural Dunlop latex is among the most durable materials in the industry so there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be subject to premature impressions over the course of time. Thicker layers of wool in a cover will compress to some degree in the areas you normally sleep but with wool (unlike foam layers) this won’t affect comfort or support and it will also even out over time. There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here but latex mattresses are well known for their durability and are among the most durable mattresses in the industry. One of the advantages of a component mattress is also that if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually a softer layer on top) then you can replace the individual layer without having to replace the other layers or the entire mattress.

Natural or organic Latex and natural or organic fibers are certainly great options for those who wish to avoid synthetic materials in their mattresses either for reasons of safety of because they are greener and more eco friendly. The Sleeptek mattresses use 100% natural Dunlop that is certified organic and the Green Sleep uses 100% natural Dunlop. There is more about GOLS certified organic Dunlop latex and some of the other types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

The main difference between them would be the difference in their designs. The Vimala uses a 2" firm layer on the bottom, a 4" layer in the middle that you can customize for firmness on each side of the mattress in the middle and then a top 2" layer of extra soft on top. The Vicence uses three 3" layers with a firm layer on the bottom, your choice for each side of soft, medium, or firm in the middle and then a top layer of extra soft on top. They both use the same materials so they would be equally durable so the biggest difference and the way I would choose between them would be based on which of the three different firmness levels for each of them your careful testing indicated was the best “match” for both of you in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). The different designs and firmness options with each of them would result in a different balance between comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment so one of them may be more suitable for some people’s needs and preferences while the other would be more suitable for the needs and preferences of others depending on their body type, their sleeping positions, and their individual preferences.

Phoenix