Guidance matching royal-pedic or organicpedic with flobed or sleep ez

Hey everyone,

Been lurking around for the last few days and wanted to thank you all for such great insights! It’s helped me narrow down my search and focus on the right things.

Here are my stats
Age 29
Sex Male
Height 5’ 10"
weight: around 170
usually sleep on back sometimes roll to side in night but almost always go to bed on back and wake up on back
Budget: about $2K-the cheaper the better but willing to go higher if it will be enough of a difference in comfot

I’m mostly looking at latex, but have tried a few other options and in all but one, I have the same issue. My butt doesn’t sink down enough so there is a pressure point there and then not enough support under the lumbar area. When I tried softer options, there wasn’t enough spinal support so once I got my butt to sink down to the point of getting some lumbar support, I was completely out of alignment.

Here’s a summary of the top 3 I tried in order of preference

1-Felt absolutely perfect! Royal-Pedic all latex with 7 zones-I don’t know the ILD numbers for this but it was made from one layer of Talaly and had 7 zones. It felt like it fit the contours of my body perfectly, and even being quite firm i felt weightless on it, no pressure points at all. Only problem is price is $4k+tax, which is more than double what I was looking to spend.

2-Organicpedic Duo $2600+tax-Think its dunlop, not 100% sure. Tried this option with a Firm base layer, Firm Mid-layer and medium top layer. Also switched the middle layer to medium, didn’t notice too much difference. This option was quite good but had a bit of a pressure point under my butt. It was the least pressure I’ve ever felt from a mattress in that area with the exception of the Royal-Pedic, but I would prefer to eliminate this.

3-Berkely Ergo-Stockholm $1900+tax-This has an inner spring core, another spring layer, than an inch of latex. Tried the soft top which was still slightly firmer than the other 2 options above, but fit pretty well. I’d say this was very close to the Organicpedic Duo.

Since the options I like are a bit higher than I can afford, I was thinking of trying to get equivalents from either sleep ez or flo beds.

1. Flobeds vZone-$2900- has 2 layers of talaly core, then a zonal layer of talaly and a convoluted topper. Goal here would be to replicate the feel of the Royal pedic and save about $1,400

2. Sleepez 9000-$1750-3 layers of talaly, probably similar feel to the organicpedic duo I tried out. Only problem would be the pressure point under my butt, not sure that it can be accomodated without zones. This option would be best since it would be $1k cheaper than going the flobeds route.

I live in NYC so I am not able to try the flobed or sleepez. Do you think going with the sleep ez would produce a similar feel to the organicpedic, and has anyone else gone with an sleep ez and been able to fix a pressure point like i mentioned?

Thanks!

The EZ9k while having 3 layers it is two 3" thick layers and one 2" layer, plus the 1" for the cover for a total of 9". The DUO is 10" I believe so if you really want to know the difference you should probable get the specs for the layers.

Personally I would call SleepEZ and ask. They may recommend the EZ10k. I did cross shop them with the Pure Latex Bliss since that was the only latex bed in my area which we could test.

FWIW I wouldn’t expect an exact match but a close approximation. There are just to many variables within latex that has the same level of firmness since S, M, F, all have ranges within them and thickness of the individual layers will also impact feel.

Hi sfs244,

There really wouldn’t be any exact equivalents because the designs of all the mattresses you are looking at are different but you can read a little more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

In terms of quality/durability … any mattress that used the same type and quality of materials would be comparable but this would have nothing to do with the feel and performance of the mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

If you are trying to match one mattress to another in terms of PPP then if the layers or components of each mattress are different you would need to “translate” one design into the other which can be a very subjective and intuitive process. The best way to do this would be to first find out the specifics of a mattress you are trying to approximate (you would need to know all the quality specs and the comfort specs of all the layers and components and some of these may not be available to you) and then have a more detailed conversation with an online manufacturer about which of the options they carry they believe would come closest to the mattress you were using as a reference point for your body type and sleeping positions (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). They will know more about matching their mattresses to the needs and preferences of their customers or how they compare to another mattress where you know the details of the design and materials inside the mattress than anyone else.

Both Flobeds and SleepEz are members here which means I think highly of both of them and they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the New York City area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Km, you are right, the 10k is closer. I called up Sleep Ez and Shawn was extremely helpful.

I got a chance to try out the Pure Latex Bliss today and wasn’t crazy about them at all. Not sure why but they just didn’t provide enough pressure relief for me.

Hi sfs244,

Just out of curiosity … which of the PLB mattresses did you try?

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Many thanks for your guidance, your wisdom knows no bounds!

I was very impressed with the reviews I’ve read on here of both companies, and my conversation with Shawn at SleepEz made me feel much more comfortable with the idea of buying without trying first. He was extremely knowledgeable, and friendly.

I tried Clean Bedroom and Scott Jordan and found both of them to be very knowledgeable and professional. Learned a lot, and got to feel some of the differences between talalay and dunlop, etc. Clean Bedroom seemed to be on the higher end of the spectrum, there were only one or two options I could afford.

I guess my main concern wasn’t trying to replicate anything I tried exactly, my main concern is making sure whatever I end up ordering provides the right balance of pressure relief and support.

I had the chance to try the Savvy Rest with soft, med, firm all dunlop, and it worked pretty well. I do prefer the feel of talalay though, and Shawn had some good guidance regarding that.

Going to go to a few more stores and decide. If i could get something locally I would prefer to, but haven’t found the right value yet. I don’t mind paying a small premium, but so far the premium to ordering from SleepEz is around 40% for what seems to be a very similar product.

Thanks again

Hi sfs244,

That makes good sense to me. Using your local testing as a reference and guideline can be very helpful but using a specific mattress as a specific “target” can be much more difficult unless you can duplicate all the materials and components.

Based on feedback from people who have tested Savvy Rest, the SleepEz mattresses with the same type of latex and combination of layers would be very comparable.

Phoenix

I’m actually not sure. The store where I tried those did not have tags for the mattresses and I never bothered to ask the guy since I wasn’t crazy about it.

I was going to go back to the store to try them again, but when I realized the guy quoted me $2900 for the Savvy Rest which goes for $2450 on Savvy Rest’s website, I figured I’d rather not deal with that store.

I ended up ordering the SleepEZ 10K and should be getting it on Monday. I got the Queen with Soft, Med, Firm 100% talalay.

Will follow up and let you know my impressions once I’ve had a chance to try it out.

Hi sfs244,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great choice and it will be interesting to see how it feels to you compared to the mattresses you tested. You are certainly in a much better budget range compared to your reference mattresses and best of all you still have good options to do some fine tuning if you need to.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Hi everyone and thanks again for your guidance.

I’ve had the Sleep Ez 10,000 for about 6 weeks now and I must say that it is a very well made mattress. I have been having trouble getting it to provide the right balance of support and comfort though.

For the first 3 weeks I stayed with a Soft-Medium-Firm setup, which is what Sean recommended. I felt that my hips were sinking in too much. I also didn’t feel enough support in the lumbar area. The mattress was definitely touching my back in the lumbar region so its not that there was empty space, just not the right level of support. I would wake up sometimes feeling good other times feeling pain in my back.

For another week I tried going with a Soft-Firm-Firm. I figured that stiffening up the core would stop the hips from sinking in too much. The problem with this was that the firm did stop the hips from sinking too much, but it was so stiff that I would feel pressure when my hips would sink all the way through the soft layer and hit the firm layer. Again, I did not feel that I had enough support in the lumbar region, and I was waking up feeling pain in the morning.

I am now trying Med-Med-Firm. This setup definitely is the best so far, I’m not sinking in too much and lumbar support is a bit better, but I am feeling pressure points right around my lower back hip and lower shoulder. Its definitely not stiff enough that there is any space between my lumbar region and the bed, but the weight is definitely not being evenly distributed.

I’m not really sure what to do next, I will probably give the Med-Med-Firm setup another day or two then call up Sean and see what he recommends.

Will keep everyone updated.

Hi sfs244,

Calling Shawn is by far your best option since a more detailed conversation on the phone can cover much more ground than forum posts when it comes to more nuanced or complex information and they will have much more knowledge about the options you have available than anyone else when it comes to their mattresses.

I do have a couple of suggestions that may be helpful though before you talk with Shawn about exchanging layers.

It may be worth trying S/F/M which would create a little more softness underneath the soft comfort layer that may be “in between” this configuration and the S/M/F that you tried initially. Some people may not notice much difference between the S/F/F and the S/F/M but it would be well worth a try to see the different it would make for you.

This sounds like it is fairly close and I would also consider trying a M/S/F combination since this would be one step softer in terms of pressure relief than M/M/F. It would also be “in between” the S/M/F layering that you started with and the M/M/F.

Some of the suggestions in post #2 here may also be helpful (especially to make sure that any mattress protector or mattress pad or the foundation you are using isn’t contributing to any of the issues you are having).

Phoenix

Hi everyone,

Its been a while but wanted to give an update.

Turns out the biggest problem was being caused by the ikea Sultan Luroy slats I was using. They were flexing too much in certain areas.It was impossible to get the lade (flat slats) since no stores had them and Ikea wasn’t much help on the phone, I made my own with some wood from Lowes.

With the new slats and the M/S/F configuration, the mattress has been perfect!

Thanks again for all the great guidance and suggestions.

Hi sfs244,

That’s great news … and thanks for taking the time to let us know how things worked out :).

It really can be surprising how much difference the support system under a mattress can make.

Phoenix